Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: For the unemployed

See, for the first week or so, the time off isn't really that bad. It actually seems like the chance to get things done and relax a bit. As it wears on, the lack of structure and lack of funds to go out and do anything result in turning the person stir-crazy, or with a case of cabin fever.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
So what do you do with your days? I mean, if you live at home, have no job and you're young, what do you do? When I was in my early 20s I was in school, worked almost full time in the nights/weekends at home depot and the rest of my time was filled with girls, going to the bar to find girls, and homework. I don't understand how someone could just sit at home and be happy not having a job and not really doing much of anything. That sounds like such a waste.

I hope I don't sound crass but my advice is that no job is beneath anyone- none. No one is too good to do a job because guess what, someone needs to do that particular job. I have done my fair share of shitty retail, gas station, seasonal bag boy jobs, etc etc etc. When I left high school I got a job as a parts man at a semi dealership. I hated the job and, while it was something that could have turned into more, the bosses could tell I wasn't in to it and fired me. It was a huge eye openeing experience. Made me think "I have nothing to offer employers" so I moved back in with my parents, worked my ass off and paid for university myself. Now I have an awesome job with the govt and, to tell you the truth, it is easy getting jobs now with my experience and skill set.

Again, I apologize if this seems like I'm talking down to anyone in particular, I'm not. Sorry if I quoted your post Nomad as it isn't directly aimed at you in particular, but I just thought I would put a positive spin on careers/umemployment. We are currently in one of the best job market we have been in years and it is great. Still having issues, move to Saskatchewan... #1 in population growth!
Problem is that not many people can afford to go to school and let's face it, a minimum wage job at 40 hours/week, with no time off is only fetching $19,760 a year before taxes, ei premiums, cpp and insurance are subtracted. (min wage in NB = $9.50/hr and most employers at min wage only do roughly 30-36hrs/wk or less so your income is likely only 14-16k)

Considering on top of that, you have Rent/Mortgage (roughly $800/mth), utilities, telcoms (internet, phone), groceries, gas, car payments, other consumables, credit card bills, etc... not much left over to pay for school.

The only reason I've even been able to survive this last year is that when I found out about my pending layoff, I was already considering going back to school, so I was able to score TSD (Training and Skills Development) funding to help pay for my education and extend my unemployment benefits until I graduate. This is on top of the student loan I had to take out.

As well, I've got my brother as a roomate to help pay for stuff. Downside is that neither of us has a vehicle, so we have to walk everywhere or get a taxi, but that also saves us a couple hundred per month.

Also not everyone can move in with their parents and not everyone's parents would let them move back home or let them stay at home rent-free. And not everyone has the money needed to move out to west to a new town where they don't know anyone and don't even have a guarantee that they'll even be able to get a job after they move.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, and I realize that you didn't mean to offend, but still, out of everyone I know that's currently out of work, a story like yours is the exception to the norm and not everyone can be so lucky.

And yes, losing a job is a big shock to some people. It's akin to breaking up after a long relationship. Some people can't handle it and they fall into depression so they can't be blamed for not wanting to do anything. It takes a good deal of mental and emotional discipline to go back out searching for work, especially if you had a great paying and satisfing job and now have to flip burgers at some greasy fast food joint and that's even if there are any jobs available in the area (my sister and youngest brother can't even get work because the few jobs available in the town they live in, won't hire inexperienced persons and they have had to compete with the people who were layed off from the call centre last summer.)

The point is, ease up. Not everyone i has it as good as you did and not every person has the opportunity to get a decent job or education.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
See, for the first week or so, the time off isn't really that bad. It actually seems like the chance to get things done and relax a bit. As it wears on, the lack of structure and lack of funds to go out and do anything result in turning the person stir-crazy, or with a case of cabin fever.
Cabin fever sounds about right. When I got laid off (and ever since), been trying to find anything to occupy my free time. From video games to collecting TFs to playing Magic: The Gathering.

At one point, I had gotten so bored that if I had even one hour of free time, I started dismantling things around me. Now I just keep a small bunch of TFs within arm's reach to ease the urges, though it has resulted in even new figures starting to lose their ability to stand under their own weight.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
BruticusMax
Bruticus Maximus Forever!

Quote:
So what do you do with your days? I mean, if you live at home, have no job and you're young, what do you do? When I was in my early 20s I was in school, worked almost full time in the nights/weekends at home depot and the rest of my time was filled with girls, going to the bar to find girls, and homework. I don't understand how someone could just sit at home and be happy not having a job and not really doing much of anything. That sounds like such a waste.

I hope I don't sound crass but my advice is that no job is beneath anyone- none. No one is too good to do a job because guess what, someone needs to do that particular job. I have done my fair share of shitty retail, gas station, seasonal bag boy jobs, etc etc etc. When I left high school I got a job as a parts man at a semi dealership. I hated the job and, while it was something that could have turned into more, the bosses could tell I wasn't in to it and fired me. It was a huge eye openeing experience. Made me think "I have nothing to offer employers" so I moved back in with my parents, worked my ass off and paid for university myself. Now I have an awesome job with the govt and, to tell you the truth, it is easy getting jobs now with my experience and skill set.

Again, I apologize if this seems like I'm talking down to anyone in particular, I'm not. Sorry if I quoted your post Nomad as it isn't directly aimed at you in particular, but I just thought I would put a positive spin on careers/umemployment. We are currently in one of the best job market we have been in years and it is great. Still having issues, move to Saskatchewan... #1 in population growth!
You see even finding a stable full time job has become harder, and to find a stable one is even more hard. We can only keep our spirit up and keep aiming for it.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
BruticusMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
Cabin fever sounds about right. When I got laid off (and ever since), been trying to find anything to occupy my free time. From video games to collecting TFs to playing Magic: The Gathering.

At one point, I had gotten so bored that if I had even one hour of free time, I started dismantling things around me. Now I just keep a small bunch of TFs within arm's reach to ease the urges, though it has resulted in even new figures starting to lose their ability to stand under their own weight.
I get the feeling that ive nothing to occupy my free time with, when I don't receive any calls for job offers or anythign i feel as tho all that i sit home and apply to is insignificant, yes i do end up getting a call or 2 eventually.

But when I'm done apply for jobs everyday and on top of the job searches at the end of the day I'm sitting down and there's nothing but absolute and utter boredom.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
big dawg
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
The point is, ease up. Not everyone i has it as good as you did and not every person has the opportunity to get a decent job or education.
like I said, I didn't want to call anyone out or be overly negative, so I was trying to be constructive and say "hey, there is hope". the thing that bugs me though is when people make excuses. I didn't really have it "easy" as you put it- like I said, I worked damn near full time to put myself through school after having been fired from a job that many would have considered a good career. I realized I couldn't just apply for a dream job and get it as I didn't have anything to offer employers, anything that helped me stand out from the crowd. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy moving back home with my folks after having flown the coop for 2 years. But they were supportive and I did make it out of school and found an excellent job in a field I love.

I'll end with a quote that I love- "there's always a million reason NOT to do something" (Jan from the Office)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:

Oh yes, let's bring that up. Shall we?

Personally I worked for a year as a Dishwasher at Pizza Hutt, that was when I learned that not all jobs are glamorous and certainly not for me. I will not settle for a job that's going to make me unhappy or stressed out, there is no future in that. And if you think otherwise... I'm sorry for you, I honestly am.

I worked contentedly for six years in the same position at a High School Cafeteria, it was my parents own business, but it still was a job I felt fine with doing. Mostly because working in a school really allows you to be scheduled, you get summer's off, you know exactly how many hours a day you're going to be there. You can organize and plan everything without any surprises, nobody showing up unexpectedly and asking you to do a task you have no knowledge in and expecting you to do it.

If I could get another job in the school system that wasn't janitorial I'd leap at such an opportunity. Unfortunately they don't need Data Entry people in a school.

Also, not everyone has the option of just packing up moving off to a different province. I've heard terrible things about Sasketchewan for people with Aspergers. (Of which I happen to be one.)

Moving is not an option for a socialy inept person like me, you spent all your free time, what little it was, going to bars or night clubs and having fun with girls or trying to pick them up. I haven't been on an official date yet and I'm turning 30 this year, I am socially incapable of feeling comfortable in such a situation. It ain't easy.

What I do, what I've always done, is a routine that keeps me sane and occupied. Writing, Reading, Playing Video Games, Going to Free Movies with my folks, spending time at family gatherings, and keeping abreast of things online. I don't consider it a waste, I consider it safe, structured and keeping out of trouble.

In fact right now I've been re-watching my MASH DVDs again. I've seen them who knows how many times, and I still find them entertaining and funny. I'm not wasting my life, I'm working at ensuring I have a stable, structured environment so that I'm not hit with something completely unmanageable. Or totally depressing, stressing and unhappy in the work environment.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
BruticusMax

Quote:
like I said, I didn't want to call anyone out or be overly negative, so I was trying to be constructive and say "hey, there is hope". the thing that bugs me though is when people make excuses. I didn't really have it "easy" as you put it- like I said, I worked damn near full time to put myself through school after having been fired from a job that many would have considered a good career. I realized I couldn't just apply for a dream job and get it as I didn't have anything to offer employers, anything that helped me stand out from the crowd. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy moving back home with my folks after having flown the coop for 2 years. But they were supportive and I did make it out of school and found an excellent job in a field I love.

I'll end with a quote that I love- "there's always a million reason NOT to do something" (Jan from the Office)
Well people, this is not a thread to target people and say "not all of us have it easy" we all know we do NOT have it easy none of us do. So let's not break out arguments.

big dawg took a revolutionary step to get something he wants, wether it took him time or whether his situation was different from us, isn't for us to judge. I say let's keep his opinion as another note to our selves.

Honestly if I myself actually found and held a stable job long enough to make me school money for something I really wanted to do I would too. We'll get there. Everyone will EVENTUALLY!

And please let's keep this thread as a place where we can share our horrible experiences with our "oh so jobless" selves and prevent ourselves from contradicting.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
BruticusMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Oh yes, let's bring that up. Shall we?

Personally I worked for a year as a Dishwasher at Pizza Hutt, that was when I learned that not all jobs are glamorous and certainly not for me. I will not settle for a job that's going to make me unhappy or stressed out, there is no future in that. And if you think otherwise... I'm sorry for you, I honestly am.

I worked contentedly for six years in the same position at a High School Cafeteria, it was my parents own business, but it still was a job I felt fine with doing. Mostly because working in a school really allows you to be scheduled, you get summer's off, you know exactly how many hours a day you're going to be there. You can organize and plan everything without any surprises, nobody showing up unexpectedly and asking you to do a task you have no knowledge in and expecting you to do it.

If I could get another job in the school system that wasn't janitorial I'd leap at such an opportunity. Unfortunately they don't need Data Entry people in a school.

Also, not everyone has the option of just packing up moving off to a different province. I've heard terrible things about Sasketchewan for people with Aspergers. (Of which I happen to be one.)

Moving is not an option for a socialy inept person like me, you spent all your free time, what little it was, going to bars or night clubs and having fun with girls or trying to pick them up. I haven't been on an official date yet and I'm turning 30 this year, I am socially incapable of feeling comfortable in such a situation. It ain't easy.

What I do, what I've always done, is a routine that keeps me sane and occupied. Writing, Reading, Playing Video Games, Going to Free Movies with my folks, spending time at family gatherings, and keeping abreast of things online. I don't consider it a waste, I consider it safe, structured and keeping out of trouble.

In fact right now I've been re-watching my MASH DVDs again. I've seen them who knows how many times, and I still find them entertaining and funny. I'm not wasting my life, I'm working at ensuring I have a stable, structured environment so that I'm not hit with something completely unmanageable. Or totally depressing, stressing and unhappy in the work environment.
And I can agree with you on all this. you're not the only one, trust me there can be people who won't speak out about what they do.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Quote:

Well, it's not to say that I'm happy or even content with the way my life is right now (If anything, my life went to shit in more ways than just finances when I had to move to BC), but just that I'm thankful for not being homeless & that I was actually able to save money while I had a good income working a good job because I know that a lot of people out there have it a lot worse.

Right now, I mostly just look for work (lost count as to the number of applications that've amounted to nothing, but that's how it is), make a few bucks where I can, take care of things at home, and then deal with shit on my website because for whatever reason I care about it. The funny thing is that when you add that to the stress in general, it seems like I have less time than I did when things were alright, even though that's obviously not the case. I recently finished some school that'll probably amount to nothing (or maybe not, who knows), so I technically have more free time than I did a couple of months ago, but until I get myself in a more stable situation, things will continue to be rocky.

Truthfully, I'd move back to Saskatoon in a minute if I could (for more reasons than I'm even wanting to type), but that's not a viable option right this moment, and probably won't be until I can get my life in order here. In either case, I'm not trying to whine about it or anything & I didn't take offense to your post. If anything, I thought it was like you said, a positive spin on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"

Last edited by Nomad; 03-29-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Closed Thread