Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
Pascal
Banned
Re: Where is your collection going!

Must get everything -> Must get everything of a few specific lines -> Must get certain characters/styles
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I have tried/will try to limit my spending on certain things like 3rd party stuffs (too many and too expensive so will only get the ones I really wanted) and things that I don't like (e.g. 3rd Bay-movie figures, Prime Beast Hunter , etc.). I was trying to fulfill my instance gratification too many times and bought TF stuffs that I don't actually wanted. Money wasted can be used on other stuffs. I think I will rent a table @ one of the conventions to sell off all my Bay-verse figures one day, for instance, to get rid of some stuffs. However, I can't see I will purge any of the other lines that I already have esp. for G1 and MP.

I have stopped caring for TFs for a while before so nothing stopped me from doing that again . I have too many money-sucking hobbies I need to stop one thing or the other.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 09-06-2013 at 12:08 AM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #23
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

My collection is hopefully going to a cornucopia of perfection (in my eyes anyway). I'm a picky perfectionist at heart, sometimes to my detriment. I enjoy upgrading my collection when a newer, prettier figure comes out (hello Takara/3rd Party). My basic rule is I want the best character/figure representation available (for the Classics deluxe characters that is), otherwise why I am I doing this and sometimes I will spend a bit of money to do it myself if I'm not entirely happy with a character/figure. Hello Takbro Red Alert, TakTak Ramjet and Thunder Shadow.

I purged my Classics collection to get the Henkei line a few years back and I haven't looked back. I'll be sticking with the Classics/Generations/3P for collecting and buy the odd MP when it suits me and usually the odd ball of the mold because I want to experience each one of the new molds at least once (hello Tigertrack meet Acid Storm). For the most part though I want a longer look at the new MP line before jumping in.

As for the toys I do have some put away like the PCC stuff and a lot have not been opened yet (hello cyberverse and kreo vehicons) but in a couple of years I'll be buying a roomier home with a finished attic (incase I live in a low lying area prone to flooding) for my collection and if there's enough room I'll have a table for a large diorama to display all those Vehicons.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

My collection use to be every show character in an American aired series. I have decided to change that to every on screen character from an American produced series minus live action and Rescue Bots (the kiddie shows).

This means I need to sell off my Movie 1 and 2, Real Gear, 6" tites, Armada, Energon and Cybertron figures and MAYYYYBEEE RID (I really like the unique look and feel of that series).

I have over 1000 figures now but I think after selling everything I should trim my collection in at least half.

At the end of the day I want a display with a copy of each on screen character from G1 in the form of G1/Classics/MP. Between Takara's aggresive MP releases and 3P, I see this happening with by the end of the decade.

Then I will never let go of the Beast Era and Animated so might as well keep Prime.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
big dawg
Energon

I think I'm between 3 and 400 figures right now... and I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old at home- I literally can't wait for the epic transformer battles we will have when I deem them ready. They have an idea that daddy has a lot of transformers due to detolf displays but I don't think they know the full extent of it.
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

My collection started out all those years ago as:

"Buy only the TF figures I like, regardless of line, character, scale, Has/Tak/3p, etc - while keeping $ spent reasonable."

And today it's:

"Buy only the TF figures I like, regardless of line, character, scale, Has/Tak/3p, etc - while keeping $ spent reasonable."

Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Felix
Generation 1

Maybe I am weird...At a point I was thinking I will be selling off my G1 Seaon 1 Stuff (close to 50 figures) since I start collecting like 10 yrs ago, I never got into any other lines until Classics and MPs.

But then I am still holding to them because I am worried that I wanted them again.....

But how you guys deal with the plastic yellowing.... ie. G1 Jazz, prowl, wheeljack
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
munim
Generation 1

I just collect robots that look cool, regardless of line etc. So far I intend on keeping Masterpiece Soundwave and Prime (2003 edition). Everything else is going, not that I had much of a collection to begin with. No other figure except for Ironhide from the TF movies interests me but even with him there are too many caveats with the figure. Also, a major downer for me is how ugly the robot heads are these days, all organic looking. I wish we could have current gen figure tech with old school heads. Don't get me started on the kiddie wheels...
munim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post

But how you guys deal with the plastic yellowing.... ie. G1 Jazz, prowl, wheeljack
There are a few ways of dealing with this. Sadly, most involving just living with it. The other 1. Involves disassembling your figure and giving it a bath in a special mixture of chemicals plus lots of UV light. Implying its fire retardant within the plastic that caused the yellowing in the first place.
Do some research on restoring c64's cases. They are the experts on this technique.

If this is not the case and its say smoke. I'm not sure what you will do.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
elburrito
Animated

For me, collecting scratches an itch. Sometimes, I just like to pick up something new. I am a big fan of the hunt, not the conventional circuit of TRU, Walmart, Target, Superstore, LD, etc...rather the little grocery store on some neighbourhood corner, or the Chinatown specialty store.

My collecting focus is G1, 1984&85 in particular. Then I have a "best" line which mirrors the G1 characters and is comprised of my idea of the "best" representation of a particular character. These are classics, masterpiece, 3rd party, animated, prime and one custom alternator, Trail breaker.

When ones of the best line is replaced (usually when a new masterpiece version is released), the existing toy is demoted to the "extras/stunt doubles line". I do a bit of stop motion.

The rules are, no more than 3 representations of any one character. Any 4ths that result I sell. Also, no more doubles of any mold. I used to keep one in a box and one out, but have come to the conclusion that a transformer in it's box exists for only one reason, to be taken out of that box.

This has reduced my active collection significantly and given me the ability to walk away from a toy I want that does not fit into my rules. I also have a sale/trade thread now.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote