Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
RavageX-9
Generation 2
RavageX-9's Ebay Auctions
TF club for Canadians: can we petition for cheaper shipping provider?

Like many smart Canadians, I've had my subscription shipped to friends in the USA for the past 5 years.
After hearing some other foreigner's plight about how he called and was told he would have to renew with a foreign subscription, I was worried about contacting them about problems I had had in the past with magazines not arriving. (I had heard that this was common back then.) I contacted them, and they told me the same thing. Now I'm worried, because I don't see an alternative.
If I go to BotCon and buy the full package, I have to be a member. That means I'll have to pay $30 more. I can't just have my friend in the US pay for my membership and pay him.
Which means the pressure's on to unnecessarily fork over $30 a year which I can't avoid... and I want to put pressure back. Could we get a petition to find a cheaper Canadian shipping provider? Like USPS First Class Mail for packages. I don't know if there's similar services for magazines of this size. I imagine they probably don't use USPS, because they have a convenient setup with some company that picks them up and whatnot.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: TF club for Canadians: can we petition for cheaper shipping provider?

It's unfair that some US companies/auction site sellers try to extort more money from us Canadians. While there are good companies and sellers that treat us the well, like our business and provide us with reasonable prices, there are US companies/sellers that dislike dealing with Canadian buyers and try to extort more money from us to make up for the hardships and troubles of having to ship "internationally" and most of the big companies like walmart and target don't even bother with us at all.

I really don't think a petition would help, they would brush it of with some nonsense about "international" duties or policies.

edited for political correctness,by me. lol.

Last edited by Matrix_Holder; 02-22-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I too doubt that it would help any. I want to join the club cuz I really want that Dion figure. But $80 US?! It's crazy. It would be one thing if I really were going to Botcon, but $80 for 1 figure and 6, 6 page comics?

I don't know. I just seems like we don't count because we're not American.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Aernaroth
Metroplex

At this point, a Hasbro-licensed Canadian Transformers Collectors Club would not happen, as Fun Publication's license extends to all of North America. It sucks for us, and it sucks for everyone across the Atlantic too. I think the best we could hope for would be a Hasbro Toy Shop for Canada that doesn't have outrageous shipping.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

...if $30 will break you, maybe you shouldn't be buying toys to begin with.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
$30 S/H for a boxed Botcon set?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
RavageX-9
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
It's unfair that some US companies/auction site sellers try to extort more money from us Canadians.
I don't think that's the situation here. I doubt these are made-up costs that Fun Publications or their shipping provider are creating. It would make more sense that it costs more for this particular shipping provider, and FunPub still uses them either because they are convenient or cheaper for their US customers.
I know FunPub is pretty stubborn, but maybe if there were enough of us who asked, they would put in a little more effort.

Quote:
If you're going to use hyperbole, maybe you shouldn't be posting.

It's not $30, it's $30 MORE. It's $70. Paying $70 for 6 magazines and a toy. That cost to buy separately $15 for half a TPB and $20 for a (now deluxe) toy + shipping.
Also, what does this do for BotCon? Now every Canadian who goes to BotCon will also pay $30 more there when they get a full package, because they'll HAVE to get a subscription, and that subscription will HAVE to be Canadian and cost $30 more. (I'm guessing here, but it's a logical extension if FunPub is enforcing this. They may be sloppy when it comes to realizing how it will effect BotCon.)
and in the past it hasn't been a simple issue of evaluating whether it's worth it to you and deciding yes or no, because many of us could ship to someone in the USA. Now perhaps some of us want to fight to keep the right to keep the costs down to the same thing our US brethren enjoy.

I don't know. Maybe you're fine being a sucker, but I dodge the bullet as often as I can. I always ask eBay sellers if they'll ship by USPS First Class Mail instead of Priority or UPS. I also ship some items I order to friends, and pick them up in person to qualify for duty-free importing below a certain value.

Last edited by RavageX-9; 02-22-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Yes, asking Brian Savage to not charge you as much so it's less money in his pocket is clearly the better idea...and I'm the sucker.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
RavageX-9
Generation 2

Quote:
Yes, asking Brian Savage to not charge you as much so it's less money in his pocket is clearly the better idea...and I'm the sucker.
*long sigh*

It's right in my FIRST POST and TITLE! I want him to find a cheaper shipping provider. Like when eBay sellers use something other than USPS First Class Mail, it costs more, but there is a cheaper option for buyers that does not somehow cut into the seller's profits.
I even gave reasons why there could be such an option that FunPub has not used. I'm just hoping with enough pressure, they might consider looking into the problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Whats this about not being able to use US postal drops?
That's how I signed up in January, haven't heard anything yet...

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Closed Thread