Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #21
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: MIB/MISB Collectors - a Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 12th Prime View Post
So maybe people are into Mint In Schrödinger's Box It could be broke but it may not be if you don't open it.

Me, I have a few figures tucked away for a rainy day when times are tough or when I acquire more space (like for my troop builders) but for everything else I like to follow the advice of Vince McMahon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMl...l=wordlifeheel
Love that youtube explanation
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #22
fordjuse
Banned

Always leave items in MISB condition if you want to get good money down the line if you need to sell. Loose figures command much less due to fact of bein gout of package. Most collectors are keen on box artwork, and mintness of un opened figures,

Prices on all items command high with MISB conditions. Look at any comparisons of loose figures vs sealed and you will see big difference in prices.
fordjuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #23
steamwhistle
Crossover

Here's a scenario which might apply to some collectors without realizing it:

What if a major part of collecting, is to have the feeling of owning a toy store?

Remember the wonderment in our younger days of going to the department store and telling your parents you'll be in the toy department, and trooping off to stand - or sometimes sit - in the aisle looking at all the Transformers, picking up the boxes and checking them over. There was a feeling of awe looking at all the Transformers. There was a feeling of wonder, imagining step-by-step how the toy probably transforms. There was a feeling of hope, that your parent would offer to buy you one, even though there wasn't a special occasion occurring for you anywhere in the near future.

So, maybe, for some of us, collecting MiSB is a subconscious recreation of the toy department, enabling us to imagine again. And, while it is a representation of our youth, and the feelings we had, possessing the recreated display with MiSB Transformers is also a representation of success.

It really isn't unlike other people's dreams of travelling, or owning a nice house, or a special car. By golly, I have a friend who bought a Mustang as soon as he could, and he has logged more miles on his shoes walking around it to wipe it with a cloth than he has driving it.

On Chuskers' "issue":
Since space is a factor, perhaps you could rank the Transformers lines, and sell off lines that are least-important to you. I'm not sure how you currently have your items stored -- are they all visible? Maybe you could pack some away in large Rubbermaid bins to store elsewhere, even though they won't be visible or easily accessible. Considering that you mentioned the pretty boxes, I get the impression that you would miss them and the toy store effect. You might find that you enjoy the toys less after opening.

...just my rambling thoughts...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle

Last edited by steamwhistle; 12-16-2014 at 02:38 AM.
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
chuskers
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Here's a scenario which might apply to some collectors without realizing it:

What if a major part of collecting, is to have the feeling of owning a toy store?

Remember the wonderment in our younger days of going to the department store and telling your parents you'll be in the toy department, and trooping off to stand - or sometimes sit - in the aisle looking at all the Transformers, picking up the boxes and checking them over. There was a feeling of awe looking at all the Transformers. There was a feeling of wonder, imagining step-by-step how the toy probably transforms. There was a feeling of hope, that your parent would offer to buy you one, even though there wasn't a special occasion occurring for you anywhere in the near future.

So, maybe, for some of us, collecting MiSB is a subconscious recreation of the toy department, enabling us to imagine again. And, while it is a representation of our youth, and the feelings we had, possessing the recreated display with MiSB Transformers is also a representation of success.

It really isn't unlike other people's dreams of travelling, or owning a nice house, or a special car. By golly, I have a friend who bought a Mustang as soon as he could, and he has logged more miles on his shoes walking around it to wipe it with a cloth than he has driving it.

On Chuskers' "issue":
Since space is a factor, perhaps you could rank the Transformers lines, and sell off lines that are least-important to you. I'm not sure how you currently have your items stored -- are they all visible? Maybe you could pack some away in large Rubbermaid bins to store elsewhere, even though they won't be visible or easily accessible. Considering that you mentioned the pretty boxes, I get the impression that you would miss them and the toy store effect. You might find that you enjoy the toys less after opening.

...just my rambling thoughts...
This post made me really think and I think you're on to something. Not exactly an owning a toy store feeling for me - but yes, being a kid, in awe of the awesome toy displays that stores use to have, running down that aisle - no cares, no troubles. When I do crack open some of my totes and go through the figures, it does take me back to the simplier times in life, before we had to take on the world ... for that hour or so I go through my collection, i'm relaxed and stress free ... wow, TF therapy, who knew!

I did decide to try and crack some open last night and decided to start small - a collection of 45 legends figures from ROTF, HFTD and RTS ... it was kinda bitter sweet - it was nice to finally get my hands on the actual figure, but seeing that pile of discarded packaging made it sad as well

Last edited by chuskers; 12-16-2014 at 07:57 AM.
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #25
Hellboy
Alternator

I only keep the boxes for my MPs now.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
chuskers
Machine War

So the decision has been made, opening up the ones on bubble cards to clear up some storage room. Each one is is a ziplock with instructions and put into a bin.

Question for those of you that store them this way - have you ever had damage done to the ones on the bottom of the pile? Right now in my large bin I have 239 piled up, but am worried of the weight of the layers damaging the bottom layer.
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #27
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
... So, maybe, for some of us, collecting MiSB is a subconscious recreation of the toy department, enabling us to imagine again.
I can understand your preference. Different stroke for different folks. I only keep a figure MISB when I have bought double. I didn't get to buy a lot of toys when I was younger. So when I got them home the first thing I did is to crack them open and play with it. I don't want to just look at them - I like to have my cake and eat it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuskers View Post
Question for those of you that store them this way - have you ever had damage done to the ones on the bottom of the pile? Right now in my large bin I have 239 piled up, but am worried of the weight of the layers damaging the bottom layer.
Just put some bubble sheets between each layer if you are paranoid like I do, and don't put too many of them into one bin. Remeber they are designed to be kids' toys so they are not so easy to break. I put their weapons or accessories in Zip-lock bags auch that I don't loose them. Now, if you are talking about Master Pieces you will want to put them back in their boxes.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 12-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #28
CanBot
Cybertron

I'm MISB partly, due to my reluctance to open anything up until I...well, I have no good reason, some stuff just stays boxed up for a long time!

So I can't even say I'm saving space by opening them, as I save the MP boxes for transport during moves. The other packaging doesn't really lend to this. But for every three or so boxes of Deluxe, you get one MP box. So the boxes are still taking space, unless you open em' up and recycle.

One last thing: keeping the boxes in good shape for a couple years, even if you don't really want to keep them, can be an extra source of revenue. You can sell em' on ebay to the CIB crowd. This is done a lot in the board gaming community for older stuff that's been discontinued. Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #29
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Love that youtube explanation
Thanks, I think of it every time this topic comes up just the way Vince says it Funny I think of Vince when "people" should be "FIRED", lol.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #30
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
Just put some bubble sheets between each layer if you are paranoid like I do
This doesn't make physical sense, you're just adding more weight into the bin. If you put a thousand pound weight on top of you, it'll crush you. If you put a thousand pound weight on you with a mattress in between, it'll still crush you. The bubble wrap just adds more weight on top of your figures and will crush them easier.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote