Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
elburrito
Animated
Re: MIB/MISB Collectors - a Dilemma

The problem with MISB for me is that sometimes the toys are actually broken inside the box. Granted this is rare, but it does happen. Hasbro MP Rodimus is a good example. Not knowing if it's whole or not eats away at me so I open them up.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I have never been a MoC/MISB collector (may be I better called myself an "enthusiast") simply because I like to free them from their packaging and display them. Another more pressing and practicle issue is that I run out of space so it doesn't make sense to keep all of them MoC/MISB. It doesn't make any sense for me to do so. Lastly, I have never thought of all these as an investment so I'd rather enjoy them by cracking them open, but I can understand why you keep them MISB. YMMV.

If the type of packagings are reuseable (like the MPs) I do put the stuffs back their packagings for storage and keep them MIB. But this is far in between and applies mostly on stuffs from like MP, TFCon, Offcial TF Collector's Club, BOTCON, 3rd Parties, etc. only.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

I've been struggling with this issue in two ways: First, I tend to keep the packaging for everything I collect, including figures I've opened and displayed. All those bubbles and cardbacks are packed away in storage, and I put older figures back in them to store when I cycle in new display items. The result is a lot of storage space being used just for packaging. Second, if I buy a MISB/MOSC item that is an import, or is several years old, I'm extremely reluctant to open it to display it, because of that perceived "collectible" value. So as often as not, it never gets properly displayed.

I keep telling myself to get over it and toss the bubbles and useless packaging, but...
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
pulsedragon20
I win

The point of buying Transformers with me is to play with them. If you leave the figure sealed then they are not truly Transformers because they cannot transform in a sealed package...

With that being said, all my "expensive" and imported TFs are MIB (Masterpiece, Binaltech, Alternators, Reissues, Botcon and a few others). All other TFs that I buy at retail are opened and displayed or in plastic tub (to save room).

I even put my loose and complete G1 figures (in a ZipLock bag) in a Bankers Boxes (cardboard box similar to comic boxes) because they fit better in my closet and each one is worth at least $50, so you could tell I don't consider TF as a financial investment.

When it comes down to the line for me, I think: "Is it cheaper to buy a new house to fit all your MISB/MIB/MOSC/MISP Transformers in or to just open them?"
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
ironclaugh
Armada

Everyone has their own way to love toys. Some love them in their plastic prisons and goddamn, good on you for resisting the urge to fingerbang all those sexy toys. I can't do it. I love to pick them up and look at them and transform them. I keep the boxes expecially to G1 and MP but I gotta get them on shelves so I can admire them every day. hahaha

Good luck with your choice!
ironclaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I usually open everything. The stuff I really, really like usually buy two, one to open, one to keep in package.

If I were you, I'd keep all the G1 stuff in package. Either way it's a brick, or a brick in a box.

Everything from the movies onward, I'd open. I don't think those toys will go up much in value. Too many around, too many collectors holding them MISB, so you might as well enjoy them.

I still keep the packaging. I cut the plastic off the deluxes and toss that but I keep the card and paperwork. I can fit all my deluxe packaging in a single file box.

The leader and voyager boxes are much harder to store. I'm starting to think I should flatten those for storage.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Everything from the movies onward, I'd open. I don't think those toys will go up much in value. Too many around, too many collectors holding them MISB, so you might as well enjoy them.
These particular TF toys were mass produced. With some exception you'd be lucky to get back what you paid for them.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #18
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
The problem with MISB for me is that sometimes the toys are actually broken inside the box. Granted this is rare, but it does happen. Hasbro MP Rodimus is a good example. Not knowing if it's whole or not eats away at me so I open them up.
So maybe people are into Mint In Schrödinger's Box It could be broke but it may not be if you don't open it.

Me, I have a few figures tucked away for a rainy day when times are tough or when I acquire more space (like for my troop builders) but for everything else I like to follow the advice of Vince McMahon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMl...l=wordlifeheel
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuskers View Post
Need some advice from my fellow collectors - specfially those, who like me are hooked on the monkey that is MIB/MISB ... I was a fan of MIB/MISB for 3 reasons - easier storage, easier to dust and inventory and most boxes are just pretty to look at.

I've been collecting since 2002 (TRU Re-issue Thundercracker got me back into the game) and my collection has grown to over 670 figures, all mostly MISB with about 60 MIB, so many that storage room has become an issue, I mean, you can only stack boxex so high. Lines range from TRU Re-issues to Tak Encores and MP's, some third party and mostly CHUGS and the movie lines So my dilemma now is this: Do I crack them open, bag em and make a nice home in storage bins and/or display them ... Leave them in their boxy prisons and hope that maybe, just maybe one day ROTF Recon Ravage is gonna pay my mortgage LOL!! ... or try to sell them off to another fellow MIB/MISB collector so that they may still be appreciated in all their boxed glory ...

What would you do if you were a MIB/MISB junkie and ran out of room ....
If you have any MISB vintage items, I'd suggest keeping them sealed; Same with the special reissues such as eHobby releases since I believe they have a smaller production run. As far as the other G1 reissues are concerned, why not open the ones that you've always wanted to tinker with. They're reissues after all and will never be worth anywhere close to what vintage ones are worth. Any of the movie figs or Classsics, I'd go ahead and open up or sell if you're trying to free up some space. Masterpiece, you could either open or keep sealed. They look pretty awesome opened and on display so it really comes down to your collecting preferences. I'd like to see an update to this thread once you make up your mind.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I remember I read this somewhere: MISB collector means you are paying huge amount of money just for boxes...
Is the rationale behind this statement that since you can't transform (or play) with them they are really only display boxes for the figure that cannot be completely enjoyed? If not, I'd be very interested in hearing the explanation.