Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Prowler
Posting from the shadows
Re: The Junction (Thomas and friends)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
Because... it's a train?

I'll own it as my own semantic take on the term, but for me a KO is a direct stealing and/or dumbing down of a mold somewhere at the factory level. But heck, what the crap do I know.
No, because the transformation into the combined mode is practically the same...just the train parts were remolded into Thomas the tank engine trains, hence it's a knock off to the fullest definition of the term.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #32
Uberman
Energon

Knock Off: transitive verb commerce make cheap copy of product: to produce a inexpensive, sometimes illegal copy of a well-known product (slang)

I think your needing to point out some toy I'd never heard of as the "well known product" serving as the source [for the transformation scheme, mind you, and somewhat tenuously at that] kind of undermines the 'fullest definition' bit.

This has all gone horribly off track, by the way. I don't know if anyone can comment on the 'quality of the plastic' [itself a terribly subjective subject] unless someone has it in hand. So we must frame our commentary purely on the aesthetics of the piece in question.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #33
frenzy_rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow? Really? I'm sure anyone who's had a KO in their hand can attest to the poor quality of plastic. Either it's softer or more brittle but it's rarely close to the actual quality of a Hasbro product. Yes it may be an "original mold" but that doesn't mean it has grade A plastic quality.

And to all those that think I'm just ranting an raving here's somone else that seems to have purchased the figure this is a repaint of (and don't deny it because you can see it's the same looking at the engines, not the new head and joints ya added) and reviewed it. Seems like they say the quality is bad, and it's a KO..... Hmm.... makes you think eh?

http://www.redshirt.co.uk/toys/super...ormable-tomas/

and I quote
"Make no mistakes, this figure is cheap as hell. But I have had worse, and let’s face it, the reason this is awesome is not because it is a quality figure, but because it is Thomas and friends combining into a super-robot."

I get it, you don't like people questioning your work....especially since it seems you're just here to try and sell your figures and don't want people questioning it's likely poor quality but the fact that you're trying to say it's not to not hurt your sales is just wrong.
let's get one thing straight. there are MANY KO companies....have you ever thought some are better than others? I've picked up KO TFs from rite-aid and big lots which are the EXACT same quality of plastic hasbro/takara use. Now, for this link you posted, sorry - wrong figure. I used one that came in a box, and was different colors. What does that mean? Means a lot to those with an open mind, specifically- the possibility that the KO company which made the one I customized is of better quality plastic than perhaps the one on your link.

I've had COUNTLESS KOs in hand, and CAN attest; some suck, yes. YET some are BETTER quality plastic than corp. level figures.

Like I said, I stand FIRMLY behind each and EVERY custom I sell. I will not trick people into believing they are stronger or better quality than they are. Had I been that type of person, would I still continuously be able to (successfully mind you) sell customs?!?! Important (if playing devil's advocate) the plastic quality really isn't an issue on this custom. The joints, and parts needing any integrity are from Hasbro/Gundam products (which I guess is a reassuring thing in your book)

Last edited by frenzy_rumble; 03-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #34
Uberman
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_rumble View Post
specifically- the possibility that the KO company which made the one I customized is of better quality plastic than perhaps the one on your link.
The figure discussed in the linked review was a KO of the "KO" you used. How postmodern.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #35
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I own the particular knockoff this custom was built from, and I've only seen the one version. The plastic quality is decent for a knockoff, but still far below what I'd expect from an official hasbro/takara product.

Furthermore, I highly doubt anyone outside of garage kits is using plastic molds (and even then, the only plastic I can think that would work would be silicone). Knockoff, bootleg, or legit, molds are either steel or aluminum, and in either case represent a significant expenditure.

I can't know how much you've changed the internal structure of the figures here, so all we really have to go on in terms of improved plastic quality is your guarantee. I like what you did with this set, though.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #36
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow? Really? I'm sure anyone who's had a KO in their hand can attest to the poor quality of plastic. Either it's softer or more brittle but it's rarely close to the actual quality of a Hasbro product. Yes it may be an "original mold" but that doesn't mean it has grade A plastic quality.

And to all those that think I'm just ranting an raving here's somone else that seems to have purchased the figure this is a repaint of (and don't deny it because you can see it's the same looking at the engines, not the new head and joints ya added) and reviewed it. Seems like they say the quality is bad, and it's a KO..... Hmm.... makes you think eh?

http://www.redshirt.co.uk/toys/super...ormable-tomas/

and I quote
"Make no mistakes, this figure is cheap as hell. But I have had worse, and let’s face it, the reason this is awesome is not because it is a quality figure, but because it is Thomas and friends combining into a super-robot."

I get it, you don't like people questioning your work....especially since it seems you're just here to try and sell your figures and don't want people questioning it's likely poor quality but the fact that you're trying to say it's not to not hurt your sales is just wrong.
I've owned KOs that are pretty much identical to official products. Plastic quality, alignment,everything.

Anyways, F_R. looks great as usual. Animated Raiden?? I love the use of matt paint to simulate the claymation style of the show

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #37
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

just saw bonus #1 man.......all I can say is...

I'll never look at Rusty the same way again XDD
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote