Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
coralreef
Generation 1
Cancelled or not?

Hi everyone,

The Montreal Comiccon has been cancelled along with every spring and summer festival in the province due to the pandemic and I was wondering if the same would happen to TFCon.

Do we have updates on the situation?

Thanks
coralreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
evenstaves
you renegade maverick
Re: Cancelled or not?

I would hate for it to be cancelled

If I was a popular con (natch), I'd probably hold off the cancellation notice as long as possible too

Has FanExpo been cancelled yet?
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

I would bet cancelled. Things can only remained closed and cancelled for so long. Simple fact is that covid will last years. Could just end up being a part of life like the cold or flu.

At this point society (the general public) would do well with a steady supply of hand sanitizer, disposable gloves, reusable face masks, and home testing kits, all plentiful and all affordable. Giving people an effective way to prevent the spread while being out is better than this lockdown.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

I love TFCon, and I really hate that this will affect it.

I think the more likely scenario is having to cancel it.

You could run it if you kept the same size of show, but had a space 5x larger, with everything spread out, and hundreds of volunteers monitoring traffic flow and enforcing the 2m distancing.
You'd have traffic laneways, unidirectional, and then 'parking' areas spaced 6 feet apart for transactions with the booths. credit/debit only, no browsing or fumbling through loose bins. Kids would hate it - a warehouse of toys and no touching.

The lineup to get in would be insane. Any speakers or seminars would need either a giant room, or a normal room with a capacity limit of 30 people or so. I think you'd have to forgo custom classes or any shared event.

Ultimately it would take up the same space as the auto show, but far less dense, less friendly, and overwhelmingly expensive. I don't think I want that TFCon.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

I feel like every convention should just go on as planned, but make full hazmat suit cosplay a requirement. I would totally rock the hazmat look.

...yeah, sorry. After 40 odd days of this, sarcasm and apathy is all that’s left in the tank for me. Stay safe, don’t lick strangers, wear a sombrero.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
coralreef
Generation 1

Well, TFCon has been pushed to September . We'll have to see how it goes. Room reserved, just in case.
coralreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
I feel like every convention should just go on as planned, but make full hazmat suit cosplay a requirement. I would totally rock the hazmat look.

...yeah, sorry. After 40 odd days of this, sarcasm and apathy is all that’s left in the tank for me. Stay safe, don’t lick strangers, wear a sombrero.

ive taken to carrying around a 6 foot cattle prod to help encourage social distancing.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I suspect the main factor in whether or not TFCon's new September date will go ahead will be provincial bans on gatherings of large groups.

Currently gatherings of 5+ people are banned in Ontario (exceptions if more than 5+ people live in the same house.

That is regardless of social distancing. So a convention is definitely out of the question right now.

Whether the government lifts this restriction by September, or modifies it, will be the main issue. If the government says in September "gatherings of up to 100 people are okay, but 100+ is not permitted, I think that still essentially means TFCon will have to be cancelled.

You need the government to either remove those restrictions altogether, or have them a sufficiently high number that it does't matter for TFCon.

I love TFCon dearly and hope it happens.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
ive taken to carrying around a 6 foot cattle prod to help encourage social distancing.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Post on home page yesterday says it's post-poned til' the fall & even then they will require all of us to wear masks, gloves & they'll limit the # of people in the dealer rooom at one time. Sounds like a lot of extra hassle just to see some collectibles. It's already an expensive day with gas, food & whatever I buy plus a 3 hour drive for me to get there. I'm not going to wear gloves & a mask as well on top of that. Sorry I just won't go at all until we get back to some sort of normalcy. It's not a necessity for me to go.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote