Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #41
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: Fan Expo Toronto 2013

Thought about going this year. I was already working the entire weekend, so that was already one obstacle to overcome.

I was looking at some of the "VIP" packages (both Stan Lee and Hulk Hogan appealed to me), but I was a little turned off by the fact that they cost 200 and 250 but DID NOT include admission on that day to fan expo. I prefer the "VIP" packages as they eliminate waiting times and you are guaranteed a photo, autograph and private panel. However for that high cost I should not have to spend an additional 30-50 dollars for admission, you think they could throw that in with a "VIP" package.

I was eyeing the photo ops as well on Friday, but since I'm working I could not guarantee that I would even be able to get into the show if I showed up at 5:00ish for photo ops that take place at 6:30. Too big of a risk to take and I didn't feel like trying to secure the day off either.

Plus for me, the big draw is meeting celebrities and getting a photo and/or an autograph, and it's becoming harder and harder to make that happen because everyone has pretty big lines and now most people will only do their "official" photo ops which cost an additional 30-60 dollars.

Ultimately, I decided to pass on FanExpo this year. Logistics with working was something I knew just wouldn't work out.

Plus I need to save money for NYCC in October
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
gemwolf
Generation 2
gemwolf's Ebay Auctions

I have never experience a poor air quality at this con.. tfcon had more of manstank than fanexpo, thats cus fanexpo has i think good HVAC units installed for this type of magniture of a structure (ohhshit my work talk is coming out) nnn e ways

as for the spiral well of doom for tickets... yeah i learned my lesson - preordered the tickets since 2010

here is where a bit of your extra money is going:

the floorplan of fanexpo 2013
http://www.fanexpocanada.com/2013/fo...-FLOORPLAN.pdf

as i mentioned they have both north and south buildings open to relieve the overcrowding which makes perfect sense

also there more vendors and booths and halls to check out O_O

the real downside is where people refuse the price increase as this is a sacrifice for more rented up space for people to walk around into and see stuff.

hasbro has a booth which i hope they display new fx exclusive showing of tfs

dont get me wrong i go to cons that average about 60$ an entrace - such as c2e2 in chicago - great venue highly recommended

fan expo isss trying to be sdcc - but as a local con (for me n e ways) thats 1000$ less than what i wouldve spend at a sdcc magnitude of a con. total im doing this weekend 400$ OR Less 160 for my premium and whatever else for stuff to buy and being i live close by im gonna eat dinner and maybe lunch at home lol

yeah price hikes sucks but they got me at more space so ill take the hit this year and hope its a good con

Last edited by gemwolf; 08-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
gemwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #43
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

^
I knew the admission price was going to go up, the moment I saw that they were going to use both North and South Buildings.

But that has nothing to do with the price increase for autographs.

Have you seen my post #27 and #29?

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
gemwolf
Generation 2
gemwolf's Ebay Auctions

oh yeah no i was never a fan of autographs and photo ops - so i had no comments about it sorry
gemwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #45
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
^
I knew the admission price was going to go up, the moment I saw that they were going to use both North and South Buildings.

But that has nothing to do with the price increase for autographs.

Have you seen my post #27 and #29?
I can't believe when my wife and I started going it was $27 for the weekend (3 days). My wife and I are still going on Friday, some her favourite webcomic creators are going to be there (if they ever stop attending we'll follow wherever they go).

I doubt I'll ever attend on Sat ever again, it's too busy with too many whiny people complaining about everything.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #46
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Well I got accepted for the press badge, but I could only get Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. Which is fine with me…the fact that you need to pay for anime guests this year pretty much shot my plans for that right out the window…I'm still pretty pissed about that and I think that was the last straw for me. I might just burn the bridges with this event after this year.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #47
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Exclamation Re: Fan Expo Toronto 2013

Another blow to the people who are going this year...

JEFFREY COMBS CANCELLED

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
strag
Machine War
Send a message via AIM to strag Send a message via MSN to strag Send a message via Skype™ to strag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I haven't been to FanExpo since 2010. I swore off it forever and I don't miss it one bit. Save money, use it for something more worth while. Plus I don't want to support something owned by Rogers. My con 2013 and 2014 seasons is:

Anime North
Niagara Falls Comic Con
TFcon

Though we will be checking out Hammertown Comic Con.
Yeah after the clusterf*** that was 2010 my gf and I have sworn off the convention too. That thing was just a gigantic disaster and I'll never go to another one of their events.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #49
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Another blow to the people who are going this year...

JEFFREY COMBS CANCELLED
Well, there's no point in going now!

Seriously, this just helps reenforce my decision not to go.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #50
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemwolf View Post
I have never experience a poor air quality at this con.. tfcon had more of manstank than fanexpo, thats cus fanexpo has i think good HVAC units installed for this type of magniture of a structure (ohhshit my work talk is coming out) nnn e ways

as for the spiral well of doom for tickets... yeah i learned my lesson - preordered the tickets since 2010

here is where a bit of your extra money is going:

the floorplan of fanexpo 2013
http://www.fanexpocanada.com/2013/fo...-FLOORPLAN.pdf

as i mentioned they have both north and south buildings open to relieve the overcrowding which makes perfect sense

also there more vendors and booths and halls to check out O_O

the real downside is where people refuse the price increase as this is a sacrifice for more rented up space for people to walk around into and see stuff.

hasbro has a booth which i hope they display new fx exclusive showing of tfs

dont get me wrong i go to cons that average about 60$ an entrace - such as c2e2 in chicago - great venue highly recommended

fan expo isss trying to be sdcc - but as a local con (for me n e ways) thats 1000$ less than what i wouldve spend at a sdcc magnitude of a con. total im doing this weekend 400$ OR Less 160 for my premium and whatever else for stuff to buy and being i live close by im gonna eat dinner and maybe lunch at home lol

yeah price hikes sucks but they got me at more space so ill take the hit this year and hope its a good con
Let us/me know how it goes afterwards? It might be something I consider in the future going to if the feedback is good from this year. The negative feedback in recent years has kept me away plus I can only stand overly crowded areas for so long before I take a break.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote