Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
wedge1021
Energon
Re: What's with lowballers ?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post
Well all I can really add is that since I started downsizing I haven't had many lowballs. But I did mention it in my listing, if I want X for an item than offering me 25% of that isn't really anything but..

But it's the Canada Post shipping most people don't seem to understand. They aren't cheap. I can ship the same box from NB to almost BC for the same price as NB to Quebec.

I had a fair number of deals at this point go sour over the shipping. If you live in Canada you have to know that you aren't really going to be able to pay much less than $14 or $15 for a box shipped.
Canada Post has killed many a small deal - those where the S&H is the same or more than the item itself. It can usually be cheaper to ship a package to the States rather than somewhere in Canada. And you never know the exact price until you get it packed off to the post office. I like the USPS system of, "If it fits in the box, shipping cost is $X.XX"
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #32
pelaxag
Mini-Con

To a certain degree, 'lowballing' is a legit means of getting a great deal. There are some sellers out there like parents or people who just want quick cash as opposed to selling a toy at it's full value. Since in their minds, money now is better than a toy collecting dust with the hope that one day a buyer who values the toy highly will come along. They might first ask for such and such, but if a 'lowballer' is polite and reasons with them a sealed deal could be on the way! By no means are personal attacks or any form of impoliteness alright, but there is definitely nothing wrong with asking for a low price. Better to try then to never know!
pelaxag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #33
joshimus
Metroplex

I once picked up a rare figure from a comic shop for a fan on another forum, ages ago, and I think the item was about 20.00. When he said he couldn't take it cause of money issues I said it wasn't a problem. No big deal. A month later I post a "for sales" thread and he offers me 15.00 for the same item he asked me to pick up for him. Obviously I told him where to go and from that point on, NEVER dealt with said person again. I was already gonna sell him that item at MY COST from the store. To ask me to sell it for less a month after you complain you are broke. These people need a kick in the nuts.
side note: I am pretty sure he posts here too now, but I won't name names. This issue happened probably close to 5+ years now and yes I do remember which figure it was too. Just don't want said person to read this one know I am calling them out. It was a long time ago, that said person was a douche for what he did, but it's those kinds of people I hate dealing with.

I get lowballed way too often which is why I only prefer helping fans rather than selling...though I really need to do another new sales thread soon. Some loose, plenty of MOSC. After October.

Last edited by joshimus; 10-07-2012 at 11:48 PM.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #34
Blurrz
Fast Everything

I hate people who penny pinch on kijiji, it's annoying as f. Sure I want to get rid of this stuff, and by that the price is already lowered. This isn't a garage sale!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #35
DamonL
Rollllllllout Autobots

I'm just really surprised there are lowballers here, esp on this thread.. i thought we, as collectors, would respect each other well enough to not lowball on the figures.. i mean if outsiders lowball the figures, i dont blame them because they prob dont know the value of these figures and assumed they are just random toys.. but seriously lowball from a fellow collector?

asking for a REASONABLE lowered price is absolutely okay.. i've had people asking me if my prices are firmed or w.e before.. and I'm sure no one would ever say no to a discount if we were buying...but we need to be polite to each other and respect not only yourself but ur fellow collectors as well.. lowballing is just a disgrace
DamonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #36
sikkbones
Banned

Trust me... as per my moving sale there are lowballers and scalpers that are extremely cheap... its not all of you and I won't name names but when I see a sale thread with the item you just asked me about at two or three times the offer I'm not interested.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #37
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
If you want the ebay rate, put it on ebay. If you don't you gotta realize that chop off a quarter to a third off of ebay price and your in the ball park.
Agreed again.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #38
sikkbones
Banned

Don't forget, you can easily take a bath on eBay too between fees and no bids.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #39
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

On the flip side, I think sellers sometimes get caught up in an item's "perceived" value to them rather than what might be realistic. Yes you will always get people who think they can offer you a ridiculous lowball offer, guess what? That's always going to happen, just ignore them unless they are persistent.

This next part is not directed at anyone in particular, just a rant.

However, I'm sorry that you paid $xx.xx for the item, but just because you paid that amount, doesn't mean you can resell it for higher, or the same. It works both ways with collectors. Also, if you opened something, why are you asking the original cost? Like everything else in life, outisde of rare items, the price of something decreases in value with use, not increase or stay the same. Also, please stop using the "my gas/time" as a factor in price. I don't care that you used your time and gas to get something. So do I, but the "going rate" is what it is and it would be better just to not mention it at all. I see that and I can't help but think you are jacking up the price.

Sorry end of rant.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #40
Batman
The Dark Knight

I used to sell a lot of stuff on the boards but got really tired of the constant low balls and requests to hold stuff. I would always put prices, photos, and accurate descriptions. My prices were always great since I wanted the stuff gone more than I wanted the money. Yet you would still get people offering you $15 for your City Commander lol.

I was really angry one time when I sold someone an item for cheap because they gave me a sad sap story. They then turned around and sold it for significantly higher as soon as they got it.

I find Ebay much easier. There is no message run around tag like in the forums. You put your price, photos, description. dude buys, pays and you ship. End of story. Plus on Ebay you can at least filter out the shitty buyers with bid retractions, low feedback etc.