Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #21
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag
Re: Animated Soundblaster (cause you know someone is going to do it)

I like how SB turned out man! As for the cassette door, my SW was like that straight out of the package.

Really dig the Alt mode too.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #22
chans formers
raff ow roud

that turned out awesome.how messy is it to do a dye job?(for the cassette door,have you tried a heat gun on low setting then bending it where it hinges?i had to do that to my soundwave cause it never sat right straight from the box.)love the way the red highlights turned out.good job!!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
that turned out awesome.how messy is it to do a dye job?(for the cassette door,have you tried a heat gun on low setting then bending it where it hinges?i had to do that to my soundwave cause it never sat right straight from the box.)love the way the red highlights turned out.good job!!
It was a soldering iron that caused the original problem (it got a little warped), and now I'm gun shy to try it again.

The dying process is not that bad, although I would recommend latex gloves (I managed to stain a little bit of my hand this time around... it wore off after a day or so). Basically it is like making soup... a dye + water + acetone + plastic soup. Add the first three incredients, heat em up, add the plastic and stir (or dip... depending on your preference). If you are going for a slight colour change then dipping is probably more controlled, but if you are going for a deep change like this I found keeping them submerged in the dye for quite a while was easier.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #24
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
It was a soldering iron that caused the original problem (it got a little warped), and now I'm gun shy to try it again.

The dying process is not that bad, although I would recommend latex gloves (I managed to stain a little bit of my hand this time around... it wore off after a day or so). Basically it is like making soup... a dye + water + acetone + plastic soup. Add the first three incredients, heat em up, add the plastic and stir (or dip... depending on your preference). If you are going for a slight colour change then dipping is probably more controlled, but if you are going for a deep change like this I found keeping them submerged in the dye for quite a while was easier.
thats some good info jourdo!as soon as im ready to make a big black mess making tfsoup,ill be thinking of u!! i aso heard that certain parts cant take the heat of dipping/dying and end up melting.has that happened to you yet?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #25
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
thats some good info jourdo!as soon as im ready to make a big black mess making tfsoup,ill be thinking of u!! i aso heard that certain parts cant take the heat of dipping/dying and end up melting.has that happened to you yet?
I have heard about the melting thing, but have not come across this myself (yet). The first time I tried dying, I practiced on some cheap RISK playing pieces. These were a very soft plastic and came out fine (no distortion).

The way I do it (as it works for me) is:

1. Mix the dye, water, and acetone. I cannot remember the exact recepie... basically enough acetone to allow the plastic to take up the dye. I really need to write it down one of these days. As for the water... enough to cover your parts. The RIT dye is meant to go in the laundry, so it will be fairly concentrated when you use it.
2. Heat the mixture until it gets hot (not boiling). Essentially when the steam starts to come up.
3. Take it off the burner and throw in your parts. This is where the dippers and dunkers differ. You can either dip the parts into the soup until you get the colour you want... OR... throw them in and keep stirring (to prevent them from staying against the hot pot surface too long) until you get them nice and dark.

I think this batch stayed in the dye for 20 or 30 minutes. I find dying easier than painting... especially when you are going for a dark colour. The dye gets taken up quite well, and generally looks pretty good... although this batch turned out a little wavey for my liking (maybe my acetone to water mix?).

I have never had a distortion problem with this method. The distortion this time around for me was due to the plastic melting while trying to remove a pin with a soldering iron. I knew it would be a problem before the dying process... I just did not realize how bad.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Looks great!
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote