Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #31
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ
Re: gijoe rise of cobra

^^^
Haha that was pretty funny dude, although I think they are wrong about Destro. That said, it's my job to hate Joes... COOOOBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #32
onecoin
Banned

Just got back so these are just my initial thoughts. It wasn’t perfect but it was still great. Where to begin? Gonna try to avoid it but there might be spoilers.

Action. Yes there is. Plenty of it. There are 4 major action sequences and a training sequences which is pretty entertaining. Each gets progressively bigger and better. And the last action sequence is wow. There’s a lot going on in it, and it is orchestrated very well. It felt a lot like watching the final action sequence from the various SW films, the end of X2, or a BSG epic fight. Action wise it had it all, explosions, gun fights, fist fights, high speed chases, epic “space” battles, stealth, military fire fights, foot chases, and ninjas.

Special effects are what they are. For the most part its hard to avoid how CG some of it looks, but there’s also a lot that looks completely organic. This movie goes nowhere with out them. I think what's more important is how well the live action component interacts with the CG.

Characters. There are some new twists. I don’t feel anyone is completely betrayed except maybe Stormshadow, but the new take makes him pretty cool. Scarlett has a cool crossbow. What I really like was that when they could individual characters and their skills are integrated into the plot, rather than just showcased in a “cool” moment. Much like how its was done with the X1 and X2. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good. The real stand out is Baroness who isn't just eye candy, she really comes out as the female lead.

For Robimus. I honestly thought Marlon Wayans was not gonna be a Wayans. I was wrong. Still, he is reeled in and kept on a tight rope, most of his humor plays off well. In the end it’s a necessary evil, that is needed in the film.

The acting. No one is gonna win an Academy Award, what I like is no one tried too. Everyone knew they were in a film about toys, based mainly on the cartoon. Nobody tried to act outside the box, or out act anyone else, keeping the tone perfect through out. Completely avoiding the uneven acting issues that shows like Heroes has.

Plot. No one is watching this for a grounded sensical plot. It plods along and drives the action well. Its is really on the level with the craziest James Bond plot you can think of. Kinda like 007 evil plot on steroids. Aside from the realism, the plot makes sense, and has no glaring contradictions. Contradictions, yes, just not movie ruining glaring. This is definitely an origin story, but it never comes out and slaps you in the face with it, mainly because it drops the viewer half way into it. There's no long exposition, or extensive character drama which is perfect for this. Be prepared for flashbacks, they are completely justified, the placing is a little questionable. Any character twists are ruined by a quick glimpse of the cast list or a look at the toys, they aren't really important to the course of the film so knowing has minimal effect.

That’s all for now. I know its not gonna turn any haters into lovers. But for those excited about the film, including me, its everything I wanted.

Last edited by onecoin; 08-07-2009 at 06:13 AM.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #33
Pascal
Banned

Can't wait to see it!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

The wife and kids are abandoning me for the weekend, so I think I'll check this out tonight or tomorrow. I might do a drive by and see how insane the joe-nerds look and make my decision based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
The real stand out is Baroness who isn't just eye candy, she really comes out as the female lead.
But she still is eye candy... right?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #35
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I actually don't have any big issues with the Wayan's family, love In Living Color. I just don't think a lot of Marlon. Maybe becasue his role in Dungeons and Dragons is such a standout.

I'm going to watch this tonight.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Good to know that it was decent. I still need to find some time to watch it...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #37
astrana
Nexus Maximus

astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #38
Quantum
Uh-huh.

IT WAS AWESOME!!! Sure, not a carbon copy of our beloved 80's Joes, but as an update, it was awesome! Totally like watching an episode on T.V.. Sure, there were some things I didn't like, but overall, definitely better than I was expecting and worth the price of admission!

I'm sure others will disagree, however, this kid enjoyed himself tremendously at the movies this afternoon!

And I'll see it again, perhaps twice more.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #39
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
But she still is eye candy... right?
Yes she is. Yes she is. But what I am trying to say is that woman are more than just thier looks, they have individual personalities and should be treated as such. Are US and Them or Sabsabby listening? No? Oh god. Sienna Miller + black leather + Guns + "Guns" = HAWT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Maybe becasue his role in Dungeons and Dragons is such a standout.
OMG why would you remind us of D&D? Why? The horror of it all! The horror!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumus Prime View Post
IT WAS AWESOME!!!
SO AWESOME!
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #40
Poho
Generation 2

definitely pumped to see this sometime soon. probably Tuesday.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Xbox Live: Mr Poho
Poho is offline   Reply With Quote