Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Professional Degree salary

I am currently have 2 books and I am done with high school, the reason why I didn't finish it back (well it was because of my depression and my suicide thought, didn't know what to do). And there is this course that interests me, but the salary hesitates me from going for the course. The course is called: Residential And Commercial Drafting, and the maximum salary is between 47K and 52K. I don't know if I can have a decent life, if I want to get married later on and raise a family, plus either me or my wife at the time would need to stay at home until the baby is 3 years old and the send the kid to daycare, that person would need to be able to support. And that's where the 50K a year, I don't know if it will be good, we might go through it, but we will be strapped.

Any thoguhts?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Leozak
Robots in the skies!
Leozak's Ebay Auctions
Re: Professional Degree salary

It really depends on where you want to live as well. 50k in Winnipeg will give you a comfortable life whereas it might be a challenge in other cities like Vancouver or Toronto.
Leozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
I am currently have 2 books and I am done with high school, the reason why I didn't finish it back (well it was because of my depression and my suicide thought, didn't know what to do). And there is this course that interests me, but the salary hesitates me from going for the course. The course is called: Residential And Commercial Drafting, and the maximum salary is between 47K and 52K. I don't know if I can have a decent life, if I want to get married later on and raise a family, plus either me or my wife at the time would need to stay at home until the baby is 3 years old and the send the kid to daycare, that person would need to be able to support. And that's where the 50K a year, I don't know if it will be good, we might go through it, but we will be strapped.

Any thoguhts?
I make a little over $52K/annum, my wife stays home with our 3 children aged 2, 4 and 7. We make it work. Yes, we had help buying our place from our folks but with budgeting and eliminating extraneous expenses (i.e., season tickets to hockey, cable, eating out, a second vehicle) we make it work. It's tough but we do it.

I've found that time with my family outweighs annual trips to Disneyland (which we are saving up for mind you), $5 coffees or buying $50 iPhone cases. What little excess we have we throw into savings and investments. Grandparents gladly cover sports fees, dance lessons etc. for the kids knowing we are aggressively saving. We're involved with a network of families that trade/donate children's clothing and toys amongst each other but truthfully my kids love the simple things like LEGO, wooden blocks etc. that require their imagination rather than batteries.

My TF spending is reliant on a $20 per paycheque fund that I amass until I can afford what I want, or I just simply trade stuff. Wifey has a similar fund that she uses towards crafting supplies. We also get to go out on childless dates from time to time thanks to free childcare from our parents and an entertainment fund that we save up as well.

We waited 4 years to start having children and in that time we both worked, saved for a 2 month backpacking trip through Europe while securing a modest nest egg fund for the future.

So yes it can be done. A little help required but it can be done. and trust me, you do not need a 3,000 sq ft home for 3 kids. Our place is a 3 bedroom, 2-level town home just under 1,600 sq/ft. My boys share a room with a bunkbed and my princess has her own little room. She often wishes she could share a room with her brothers. Now it might get tight as they get older but my wife lived with her 2 sisters in a similar setup until she was done highschool and she has an amazing relationship with them up to this day.

Get yourself a financial advisor, pay off all debts, skip Starbucks and save save save.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Doing what you want, as a career, is much more important than how much it pays. Adjust your lifestyle to your wage, and be happy about going to work. That is where you spend the majority of your waking hours. People that want to be together, make things work. I would not base decsions on "what may be" because there is no way to know.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

I was looking at Elevator Mechanic, it pays well, but the only thing I fear is heights, so I am hesitating
Old 08-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Rev
Addict

Quote:
I was looking at Elevator Mechanic, it pays well, but the only thing I fear is heights, so I am hesitating
Bahahahahahahahahaa
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Update: change of plans, I am doing my equivalency for high school, I need to do 7 exams which the first 2 test are French and are obligated to do them and pass them in order to do the 5 exams. I already passed 1 and failed 1, thankfully I have a redo in about a month which I am studying and preparing. Should I fail again, I have to wait a year before being able to do them again. And once I get my equivalency, I can apply at banks, or any good job to build a career.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Update: change of plans, I am doing my equivalency for high school, I need to do 7 exams which the first 2 test are French and are obligated to do them and pass them in order to do the 5 exams. I already passed 1 and failed 1, thankfully I have a redo in about a month which I am studying and preparing. Should I fail again, I have to wait a year before being able to do them again. And once I get my equivalency, I can apply at banks, or any good job to build a career.
Dude, get off the internet and start studying!!! Best of luck!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Dude, get off the internet and start studying!!! Best of luck!
I am studying most of the day, brain can't function at 12 am LOL