Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
TheLogicalProwl
Beast Machine
Which Devastator upgrade do you recommend?

OK, we all know about CrazyDevy's upgraders for G1 Devastator, but I had a question about the other two upgrade kits - the Junkion Blacksmith Power of Devastation kit, and the X-Transbot Destroyer upgrade kit.

I am considering buying one of these kits. Which one do you recommend? I should note that I am looking at the X-Transbot corrected version, and the X-Transbot has silver thighs (which I like), but the Junkion Blacksmith version has two heads to reflect cartoon and toy accuracy.

Your thoughts?
TheLogicalProwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
tearfromthered
Generation 2
Re: Which Devastator upgrade do you recommend?

hercules.
tearfromthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
pandaprime
aficionado!

neither. use the money towards MakeToys (green) Giant

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I like the look of the X-transbot one better but I have no idea of there biuld quality. I've heard the Junkion Blacksmith items are well made with quality plastic.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
STI 2NV
Energon

I have the Xtransbots 1st release set. Not the greatest and pretty loose. Ive heard the second one is "better"

I would like to order the Junkion Blacksmith set if they release it in G2 colors.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Ozrein
Stunticon

I have the Junkion set in my POL at BBTS. For the price for the full set of upgrades, I figured I couldnt go wrong. I was really only interested in the hip/knee part but since the whole set is the same price as just that one part from crazy devy, I just went with the Junkion Blacksmith set.

I've heard good things about the JB set and once I saw pics of Devestator with all the upgrades it was an insta-buy.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Although the JB and X-Transbots are the value leaders, I personally think Crazy Devy wins in terms of styling and proportion. But the price is insane...especially in light of the newer releases.

Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfromthered View Post
hercules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
neither. use the money towards MakeToys (green) Giant

It's ashame that no one prefer the Hasbro one, lol...
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
BigBot79
G1 Fan

X-transbot version - I have the first release and although the fingers a bit finicky overall I think it's the best look.

I would also say that even with the issues, if you are like me and mostly want it as a display piece it's the best version - if you are going to be moving it around often and playing with it then you might rethink the upgrade in any form and buy the Hercules or Giant figures.

I've always loved Devestator and have the Encore, G1 Original and KO versions of him as well as Hercules - also just ordered the Giant in Green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	14065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	14067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	14068  
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I actually just got the X-Transbot silver version upgrade in the mail yesterday. I did a lot of research in deciding between the Junkion blacksmith and the X-Transbot one. Here's a few bits and pieces for anybody who cares.

The build quality on the X-Transbot one is good. They fixed the finger problem so they don't drop off when you move them. But I'd still recommend a cautious touch when moving them around. It still doesn't hold the gun very tightly. It'll hold the gun well enough for display but shake it enough, the gun hits the floor. I just took one of those clear rubber bands from the deluxe toys and took care of the trouble.

The head clip still doesn't push all the way in, but to me that actually might be better for balance. It makes the chest sit forward more and makes it less back heavy. But that doesn't mean it's not back heavy.

The hips have a great range of motion with ratchets and a thigh swivels. One thing though the ratchets aren't that strong so the figure won't hold wide stances on smooth surfaces. But I just slipped a piece of paper under and it's fine. The cod piece does restrict motion a bit but unless the pose needs the thighs to be 90 degrees to the ground I doubt it'll matter much.

Comparing a few things.

Head sculpts: Transbot's head is more 3-D. The JB heads are more cartoon accurate but are a bit flat. Also the head bracket on Transbot adds a torso twist and the JB one doesn't

Forearms: Transbots's left arm is a bit restricted in it's elbow bend, while JB's forearms don't appear to have this problem. From what I've seen JB's fore arms are better designed.

Hands: Like I said above, Transbot's fingers don't hold the gun very tightly, but they are individually articulated. JB's has a peg for their gun but the fingers aren't individually articulated.

Last thing, I had to make heel spurs for Devy in order to take advantage of all the new articulation. From what I've seen every single kit turns the figure into a back heavy nightmare.

Here are a few pics. Just ignore the one of these things is not like the other moment you may have when you see the pics.