Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #41
Baryonyx
Armada
Re: Northmen Collectibles - not impressed

There's no way in hell I'll ever be buying from Northmen.

If there's been no problems with preorders from other places and tons of predorder issues with Northmen, it's not an issue with Hasbro... it's an issue with Northmen.

And the public responses from this guy are abominable. Even if he's ever technically in the right, acting like this is definitely not the way to come across as patient and sympathetic. If this is what to look forward to, why even bother?

I hope that's worth the lousy 15%, pal.
Baryonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #42
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Of course you have your store policies and what not, and I am sure the credit card companies are on your side. But you lost the good faith of your customers. I am glad I bought these from another source at the time!

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #43
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I've seen cancellation charges on lots of other sites. Automaton toys instituted one way back when. I don't see a problem with it as a tool to discourage people from using a store as a back up plan.

BUT, regardless of whether I think it was fair to enforce those charges in this instance, I will say this. In terms of posting responses here, I don't think this was handled well by Northmen. This could probably serve as an example of how not to approach a problem like this.

One bad experience is just one bad experience by one person, and a thread like this generally fades after a handful of comments. But when the store comes in guns ablazing, it just magnifies things, and it's never a good look.

IMHO, it's best to handle things in private. Rarely will you ever win a message slinging contest in the public. Because, too many ways something said can be picked apart, rightly or wrongly.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #44
NorthmenCollectibles
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post

BUT, regardless of whether I think it was fair to enforce those charges in this instance, I will say this. In terms of posting responses here, I don't think this was handled well by Northmen. This could probably serve as an example of how not to approach a problem like this.

One bad experience is just one bad experience by one person, and a thread like this generally fades after a handful of comments. But when the store comes in guns ablazing, it just magnifies things, and it's never a good look.
So I'm going to pop in again just to clarify why exactly I entertained this post with a response. On paper I'd agree with you however the thing is that my replies aren't actually for the OP. My replies are for the people popping into this thread that are wondering what's up. There is absolutely no "winning" any kind of interaction with someone like the OP. I'd agree with you if I was actually trying to win a message slinging contest but I wasn't. I was just responding to various points of contention for any outside readers curious as to what happened there.

My replies have already resulted in two positive email interactions, one successful refund without any drama or bullshit where the fee was returned as a store credit (or it will be once processed), and a very complimentary PM. All in all it accomplished exactly what I was hoping it would and I would not redo this if I had the chance.

Could I have worded things a bit better? Absolutely. But here we are. Stores are not infallible robots, they are people too, and I don't take kindly to attempts to manipulate me into refunding something against policy by using a critical thread against me as leverage.
NorthmenCollectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #45
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmenCollectibles View Post
So I'm going to pop in again just to clarify why exactly I entertained this post with a response. On paper I'd agree with you however the thing is that my replies aren't actually for the OP. My replies are for the people popping into this thread that are wondering what's up. There is absolutely no "winning" any kind of interaction with someone like the OP. I'd agree with you if I was actually trying to win a message slinging contest but I wasn't. I was just responding to various points of contention for any outside readers curious as to what happened there.

My replies have already resulted in two positive email interactions, one successful refund without any drama or bullshit where the fee was returned as a store credit (or it will be once processed), and a very complimentary PM. All in all it accomplished exactly what I was hoping it would and I would not redo this if I had the chance.

Could I have worded things a bit better? Absolutely. But here we are. Stores are not infallible robots, they are people too, and I don't take kindly to attempts to manipulate me into refunding something against policy by using a critical thread against me as leverage.

Man, you just keep digging.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #46
imfallenangel
Cybertron

All I'll say is that all pre-orders are a bit of a gamble and can be absolutely out of the store's hand if the distributor can't supply the items.

If the policies are clearly stated, and in this case I believe that they are, it may sucks that the situation involves a very long wait... I've waited for some purchases for over 5 months, and it's quite frustrating and I understand that part. I've seen pre-orders that involved almost and even over a year's wait. I've had fine and bad experiences when it comes to pre-orders and so I refrain from doing them when possible.

But should I be in a bad situation, I would not put any public comments or statement unless or until I have discussed with the store (or such), and would speak on my experience and not sling guesses or accusations. I just did have a bad experience and I simply sent a PM to the person/store explaining my point and left it at that. If I was to do a review of that store I would state a short resume of my experience in a mature way.

If (or when) I do a pre-order with anyone, I take into account that there is a chance of delays, as so I tend to try and be patient and wait it out until it is officially out, or at least officially confirmed as available.

I have absolutely no experience with Northmen, but from his replies here, he has explained the circumstances in a mature way, and explained his policies that are under attack, and I honestly don't see anything that would make me judgemental towards his store and should he have something that would interest me, I don't believe that anything said in this thread would stop me from making a purchase with this store.

Just my two cents, which I expect to be attacked for, as lately in here, it seems to be the way things are.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 08-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #47
mAk
Machine War

You've made yourself look really bad, and you ripped off one of my Edmonton peeps. Honestly if you had any business sense, you'd refund that small amount of money to avoid more bad reviews. I'll make sure I never deal with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmenCollectibles View Post
Okay now this response is my actual last one because it's just wrong and I want to make sure people properly understand their rights as a consumer in order to best protect themselves.

You're assumption is correct if you're talking about me having refused to provide a refund. I absolutely would lose a dispute for an undelivered product if I refused to provide a refund. I have not been refusing to provide a refund, what's being disputed here is the 15% cancellation fee. I am telling you right now I have won every single dispute levied against me through credit card chargebacks attempting to recoup the cancellation fee and I have not dealt with a single dispute via paypal regarding this because paypal won't even let you dispute it after it's already been refunded.

So please if you want to best protect yourselves the best course of action is to look up a store's cancellation/return policy prior to making a purchase. If they have any fees listed on their site, and you are not comfortable paying that fee DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM. A store is allowed to institute a cancellation/restocking fee. I have discussed this specifically with the chargeback departments at VISA and they confirmed it. What a store is not allowed to do is refuse a cancellation all together and refuse to provide a refund. If a store ever refuses to refund you a product you can absolutely file a dispute.

Last edited by mAk; 08-27-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Just because
mAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #48
steamwhistle
Crossover

"I think the problems on this planet will be solved very shortly."
-Kup
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #49
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
"I think the problems on this planet will be solved very shortly."
-Kup
Incoming mods!
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #50
BludChylde
Generation 2

This can be summed up by a quote from Billy Madison "At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Regardless of intentions, I'm definitely never buying from NorthmenCollectibles. I think if he would have dropped out after his first post here it might not have been so bad, but these attempts that look like he is trying to get in the last word definitely turned me off.

RNSRobot, I agree with your stance here 100%, regardless of what his policy is. Failure to deliver after 6 months, it should be money back, none of this 15% business because you cancelled because he failed to deliver. But I would suggest, stop trying to provoke and poke for another response. Let everything land where it falls, and let this thread just stand as a warning.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote