Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
TFA Menasor combiner parts--early CAD

Hey guys,

I usually don't like to share work in progress, but this one's pretty ambitious and I need every ounce of help I can get.

Here are some VERY EARLY ideas on how to make a combiner kit for the TFA Stunticon set.

Plans are as follows:
-get the scupt looking good
-get the parts 'close', with mechanicals worked out (I'm considering make the parts fit over tip Lego joints)
-make prototypes
-custom fit
-cast parts in color with painted highlights

So yeah, it's a big job...won't happen overnight. But I'm thinking of giving it a big effort.

Please see the early CAD. Give me your thoughts on 'the look', and any suggestions on how to get this done.

Here's a picture of the 3D parts merged with a 2D background...try to 'imagine' the TFA Prime, Arcee, etc. in 3D...

Another view...

Here's the headscupt...proportions aren't quite right yet...I haven't put in the vents or details until I get the geometry correct.

Cheers,

Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
chans formers
raff ow roud
Re: TFA Menasor combiner parts--early CAD

looks cool so far.nice concept of making it so they "actually" combine.

maybe try to find a junker animated supreme roll out command prime.most of the sculpting work would be there for you,and the size is pretty decent.the toes and hands are almost bang on for the concept you're going for.
(it's the same mold a bunch of us here used for the sick kids charity project defensor)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Dustinticon
Generation 1

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...01-d31te6d.png <--Might i suggest that for the head? I love everything else about it though, very good idea! Articulated fingers would be awesome as well!
Dustinticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Oreobot
Beasty

That's a pretty neat idea. Now if that was commercially available for the Botcon Stunticons set you'd really clean up.
Oreobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Things look great so far, bud. Chans gave a very good point about Animated roll out Prime. If you can get this to work you'd make a mint!
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

it'd be interesting if you could merge the extra parts required for the combiner into motormaster's trailer
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
venksta
Render Project Creations

This is looking really good dude! I know a bunch of us had this idea when they announced the box set. I personally settled on making a weapons set for those figures in stead.

One of the challenges for making this a combiner, will be to make it still look like the animated style, once your done. The Menasor head will be important to get right to help sell the look. Anyways, good luck with this. I'll be watching your progress for sure.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Thanks guys...yeah, now that it's sat for a while I'm unhappy with the headscupt and want to go at it again...probably start with fresh CAD on that one.

The challenge here is the stance. I actually did reference the same link provided by "Dustincticon" but the animated molds used don't seem to lend themselves as well to that broad look...that's why I'm trying to unfold the arms and widen the chest. And he still looks too much like a basketball player instead of a QB...

Any other ideas on how to improve the stance?

Oh and to Ultra Maverick--great idea...I wasn't going to be quite as ambitious...I was simply going to make a trailer in which all the parts stow, as opposed to merge. I have a sketch of that...will share that and/or CAD...
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote