Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #21
C_Shewins
Robot Master
Re: How much is gas in your town ?

142.9 today! OMG, I can't afford hunting transformers with gas prices this high anymore...
C_Shewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
Black Cat
Animated

Hovering at around 1.34, now. If this keeps going the way it is, I won't be able to drive to work anymore... and it's about a 7 minute drive! :S
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 AM   #23
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknight View Post

Way to go CAW !

Rant over...

OPEC is actually an oligopoly, not a monopoly (if we want to get technical here). It's not just also about increasing total barrel production that's at play as well; politics also affects how the price of oil is driven as well. When two of your top three OPEC oil producers are composed of Iran and Venezuela, politics also plays into it. Venezuela's expropriation of foreign oil company assets(in Venezuela) didn't exactly help reduce the speculation on the price of oil.

I'm not sure which companies you're alluding too, but the Canadian oil industry raked in about 7.3 billion as at May2008; that is more a result of them importing the oil down to the US than making it at the pumps. While those stickers aren't the most accurate, they're pretty close; feds take an excise rate of about 10 cents/litre, provinces vary but average around 15 cents/litre, then the GST that's there plus places like Victoria, Vancouver and Montreal get additional surtaxes at the provincial level. Now you'd think we'd be hopping mad about this; unfortunately, as unbelievable as it may be, Canada enjoys some of the lowest prices still in the Western World (Europe always got the shaft from the get-go anyways).

The only lasting solution for all this mess really is to start cutting back; unfortunately, thanks to the urban sprawl not everyone can just cut back in the flick of a switch. You'll have to setup RELIABLE transit systems to handle the people that are willing to leave their cars parked in the garage. It also doesn't help that better alternatives such as smaller or more efficient cars aren't always a more cost effective alternative to everyone; while it would be nice if everyone drove a Prius, not a whole lot of people can afford to drive them because of the sticker price.

The GM/Oshawa workers strife currently in the works is for another thread.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #24
chisau

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
GM's biggest mistake was trashing the EV1....unbelievably fucking stupid move. Why they won't release another fully electric vehicle sooner is beyond me.
they are going to make the Chevy Volt. which is based on the EV1. they are releasing it at the same time as camero.
chisau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Logann64

I hope they do get an electric car soon, i love my little MAZDA Protoge but goly gee she's a thirsty lil devil...
Logann64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #26
Protoman
The Legend

As of I got home, 1.43 Regular (Petro Canada)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #27
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

I hope they don't start mass producing electric cars personally; instead of putting pressure on the current source of fuel (oil), we'll instead put increased pressure on the electric grid now.

Let's go fuel cell!
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #28
Pascal
Banned

1.324 in Drummondville.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #29
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknight View Post
Another question to ask yourself...and I blame everyone in North America for it's lazy attitude and nature as to why we as a whole are not furious about this. When oil was $65 to $75 US per barrel, refining costs were lower and demand was less...how in the hell were we paying over a dollar a litre then ?! When I was in England as gas was $2.80 CDN a litre, they were holding mass protests in the north, shutting down highways and refusing to work. Here...we complain about it while we re-fuel our gas guzzlers and go about our way. We need some of that Euro passion over here and protest these lies ! Why aren't enough people damn mad about this to do something about it ?!
In Canada we are just to laxed and nice to really make a fuss, we are the Worlds peacekeepers afterall. It also explains why we probably pay more on average than our US cousins on commercial goods (cars, toys, clothes, etc), cause no one raises a stink loud enough to make a change. We just accept it for some reason, maybe it's something in the water? Or maybe everyone is stuck in traffic on the 401 going or coming from work to bother complaining
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
Pascal
Banned

It jumped to 1.514 in Montreal yesterday... ouch.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote