Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
pud333
Animated
Re: How much is gas in your town ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknight View Post
WTF it was 125.9 only 3 days ago here...it's now 135.0 a litre W T F !?!
On friday, oil surged $10 a barrel in a single day to settle at $138.54 us. On thursday it had gone up $5.49 us a barrel. Since oil is a non renewable resource, the days of cheap gas are over, especially with north america consuming so much, and India and China developing so rapidly. Although at this point, it's probably over inflated a tad, cause $10 in one day is ridiculous. But generally, yeah, it's all getting more expensive. Expect transformers to go up in price at some point in the near future to compensate just like any other product while most people's wages stay stagnant for the most part. Yay.

Last edited by pud333; 06-07-2008 at 11:13 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

The price at the pump last summer was the same when a barrel was half what it is now, so the gas companies blaming current pump high prices on the high price per barrel of oil is just another BS story they're giving us to gauge our pockets.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
The price at the pump last summer was the same when a barrel was half what it is now, so the gas companies blaming current pump high prices on the high price per barrel of oil is just another BS story they're giving us to gauge our pockets.
Probably. I believe there is a push from Ottawa to make oil companies explain their pricing, etc. but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Spacemonkey
Energon

1.37 or1.38 here in Quebec city, today. I don't know for the other provinces, but in Quebec, provincial and federal taxes represent half of the price.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
On friday, oil surged $10 a barrel in a single day to settle at $138.54 us. On thursday it had gone up $5.49 us a barrel. Since oil is a non renewable resource, the days of cheap gas are over, especially with north america consuming so much, and India and China developing so rapidly. Although at this point, it's probably over inflated a tad, cause $10 in one day is ridiculous. But generally, yeah, it's all getting more expensive.
It's not even the fact that oil itself is a non-renewable source that's the problem; the capacity to refine this oil is just not there to meet increasing demand for it. Looking at the oil companies perspective alone, I can see why they would not commit building additional refineries; increasing the capacity could result in lower oil prices and lower profits for them. Ever since the Sept 11 attacks, there has been a consensus that a "terrorism premium" is included in the price of a barrel as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
The price of a barrel was already past the $80 mark last summer if I remember correctly; the price of gas was also about $1.xx per gallon less. If anything, the government can help by cutting back on the tax they collect on gas; 30% - 40% is just too damn much.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Oreobot
Beasty

My two cents: blame hedge funds, trust fund companies, RRSP investors and specuvestors for the spike in prices. After the real estate bubble burst down south and elsewhere and the US dollar tanked people had to put their money somewhere to hedge against inflation. Now we've got an oil bubble on our hands. The price of oil doubling in one year isn't due to immediate increased demand. It takes about 6 months for oil to make it through the refineries to the pump, and that hasn't changed overnight, either.
Oreobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Logann64

you wanna know how much im paying?!?!?

TOO MUCH!!!!

ok ok, about $1.35 litre in canadian funds... BWAAH!
Logann64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #18
devilsknight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannabisprime View Post
It's not even the fact that oil itself is a non-renewable source that's the problem; the capacity to refine this oil is just not there to meet increasing demand for it. Looking at the oil companies perspective alone, I can see why they would not commit building additional refineries; increasing the capacity could result in lower oil prices and lower profits for them. Ever since the Sept 11 attacks, there has been a consensus that a "terrorism premium" is included in the price of a barrel as well.
It also comes from the fact that OPEC is running a monopoly and has the resources and equipment to increase the total barrels per day. But won't becuase they'd rather get filthy rich and watch the world's supply increase while the total amount per day stays the same.

While Government taxes on Gas are high...those little stickers that say Gas companies make only 1% or 2% of the total cost of gas in profit...i'm sorry but these ass holes are raking in $11 Billion a Quarter in profits each...and "apparently" the government make 39 times that much in collected taxes...soo my next question is...why aren't Canadians the richest sons of bitches in the world already...$11 Billion times 39 times 5 major oil companies equals alot of money. Think about it.

Another question to ask yourself...and I blame everyone in North America for it's lazy attitude and nature as to why we as a whole are not furious about this. When oil was $65 to $75 US per barrel, refining costs were lower and demand was less...how in the hell were we paying over a dollar a litre then ?! When I was in England as gas was $2.80 CDN a litre, they were holding mass protests in the north, shutting down highways and refusing to work. Here...we complain about it while we re-fuel our gas guzzlers and go about our way. We need some of that Euro passion over here and protest these lies ! Why aren't enough people damn mad about this to do something about it ?!

Don't even get me started why I feel no compassion for North American auto workers and losing their jobs. They build crappy cars with MEGA poor fuel economies and they wonder why nobody is buying them ?! Wake up and smell the coffee people, build a superior product with awesome fuel economy and people will start to buy again. People aren't interested in the SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) anymore nor their 10km/60L economy. The people have spoken and your cars suck. F O R D (Fix Or Repair Daily).

This is why I take the GO Bus to and from work, and my fiancee drives a VERY efficient Toyota Echo, which by the way after 120,000 km hasn't needed ANY WORK AT ALL beyond normal oil changes and other normal car work. Gotta love the Japanese, they can build 'em some cars. It's a shame really only the Yaris is the only Toyota vechile not made in Canada now. When those Yaris' come off the truck my dad's clients at Toyota can't find a single damn thing out of whack with them...the NA built Toyota's on average need $1000 to $2000 in repairs right off the truck.

Way to go CAW !

Rant over...
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #19
alicethegoon

The price here is $1.27 for mid grade $1.24 for reg. but that could change any moment. I could not exist without my 1998 Altima Prime.
alicethegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #20
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

GM's biggest mistake was trashing the EV1....unbelievably fucking stupid move. Why they won't release another fully electric vehicle sooner is beyond me.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote