Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
79transam
Machine War
Opinion- Open and Play Big Spring vs Big Gun (Springer vs Galvatron)

Open and Play have release 2 affordable MP scaled versions of our G1 nostalgic favorites. The reception has not been without controversy, but most recently the discussion revolves around the difference in design choices.

Big Spring seemed to be a totally original sculpt and it was recieved well for the most part among those who purchased a copy.

Big Gun seems to be less original and somewhat of a less expensive r&d piece.

Here's why I think that is- Their Springer appealed to a larger audience of people who are waiting on the fence. The potential market share is worth spending the money to garner higher sales volume.
Their Galvatron is almost certain not to be purchased by a noticeable margin of collectors who are already invested in a DX9 or FT version.
So I belive that Open and Play has done a solid market research endeavor to assess the amount of resources to put into that character in order to remain profitable leading up to future offerings.

Smart.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
xueyue2
Canadian Slag
Re: Opinion- Open and Play Big Spring vs Big Gun (Springer vs Galvatron)

I'm eager to see what will be their 3rd product? Maybe Big Rocket?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I'm eager to see what will be their 3rd product? Maybe Big Rocket?
So far the theme seems to be the old cartoon movie. So there's definitely room for a solid version of Rodimus Prime.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

I'm going to get their Galvatron because I collect all versions of the character, but it doesn't impress me much.

Their Springer on the other end is quite interesting, I particularly like the car mode. I like how they made the car cockpit wider. Simple yet clever engineering. Another figure on my want list, like most triple changers.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
optimusb39
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm going to get their Galvatron because I collect all versions of the character, but it doesn't impress me much.

Their Springer on the other end is quite interesting, I particularly like the car mode. I like how they made the car cockpit wider. Simple yet clever engineering. Another figure on my want list, like most triple changers.
I had him for a bit and gotta say he was great! A little flat on the face sculpt but im sure another company will come up with a new face for him. The body propotions and both vehicle modes look great as well. I too love the widee style for the cockpit and the fact thaaat the back of the car isnt a skinny tapered shape and actually looks like a possible vehicle that would exist. Ther was a few extreneous pieces on the backs of the legs that really didnt need to be there and an issue of loose torso taabs but im hoping theu will come out with another original design and correct those problems.
Id recommend him personally. To me he fits much better in the mp lineup then unique toys chunkster.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusb39 View Post
To me he fits much better in the mp lineup then unique toys chunkster.
I can see that. I have Allen and I like it a lot, but since I display my figures per character, his size (he's massive!) is not much of an issue.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

It's not going to shock me to see upgrades from other companies for this line. They're cheap enough I think I'm in on both so far.
I skipped FT and DX9 Galvatron because they just cost too much (FT) and didn't look right (DX9) to me.
Price sure plays a role for me with what I'm able to see past to feel satisfied with a character in my collection. Part of it is that I have MP fatigue from just how expensive the hobby has been over the years.