Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
chroma23
douchebag
in tokyo for 2 weeks

not much, but didnt start off well: my luggage got lost in transit in the states (a bunch of people in my plane had the same issue as well)

went to some toy stores in ueno, and saw some united display figures in person, wave 1 only though

generally they all look better than hasbro counterparts......but soundwave is a bit odd with some purple accents. drift looks much better in united: the white does not look like the cheap white plastic in the hasbro version...and the red stripes/decals are of a darker red tone (hasbro uses a brighter red). i have decided to ditch my hasbro drift for the united one

predaking reissue box looks smaller than i thought (smaller than the earlier reissue), is it just me?

more to come as i see stuff in person.

Last edited by chroma23; 12-25-2010 at 07:31 PM.
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: in tokyo for 2 weeks

Thanks for the "in the field" report chroma_cg, we really do apprecaite you "working" over the holidays for us.

Merry Christmas!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Deemar
Banned

Is it possible for you to pick up some of the knockoff Dinobots while you're over there?
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
onecoin
Banned

Did you hit up Akihabara already? Cause that place is wild around the new years. Dude are you coming down to Osaka?

The Terrordive wave also just came out today.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
chroma23
douchebag

not yet for akiba but will for sure hit that place very often over the next 2 weeks

no plans to travel outside osaka, although hongkong will be my next stop...and no, no plans for buying anything for anybody....unless they have bought alot from me in the past then i my consider doing it

and KOs would be in hongkong/china area, never in japan

feck just realized i made a typo at the top: i will ditch hasbro drift for united one: the white is of better quality (from looking at it at least) and some areas look painted as well. others look pretty good too; just assume that they have the same metallic paint treatment like the JP animated figures do
Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
onecoin
Banned

I haven't seen all the classic stuff personally, but from the pics I can tell that the united stuff here is way better. It just hurts when the talk about sales. I saw deluxes were on sale for around 10 bucks, the cheapest I have seen a deluxe here is 1726 yen. I don't know what the prices are around Ueno. I'm gonna try to hit up Akihabara next week, but I don't wanna go by bullet. I might stick local and stop at Fiji.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Jealous....... let me know the good news please
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
chroma23
douchebag

not much good news, prices arent great to be honest in japan in general. from my experiences prices for toys are pretty much firm at MSRP in japan, i guess to avoid competition....rarely do we see good deals or clearance prices. the only good deal i saw in akihabara is red alternity convoy for around $40CAD

....which is the same as prices in hongkong actually. i must say that if you are looking for transformers toys hongkong will be your best bet since prices can potentially drop quite a bit (but likewise....rise very quickly for high-demand items). the only stuff you will want to look for in japan will be high-demand items (since they cannot jack up the prices, or reduce for better or worse) and vintage (subject to availablity and pricing)

there are some good deals for animated though in my opinion, but i am not too interested in the series so cant tell you anything specific

i havent searched around enough for vintage tfs but from the ones i went to today, prices are pretty sick....2 years ago i got a MISB armada crystal convoy for 3XXXyen and now it's jacked up to over 5 digits. must be because of the movie franchise....

...do you guys think 800CAD is a good price to pay for a good condition (i didnt inspect it) g1 overlord?

and united cliffjumper looks extremely gorgeous with the metallic finish

Last edited by chroma23; 12-26-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
Is it possible for you to pick up some of the knockoff Dinobots while you're over there?
He's in Japan, not China!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
WhiteRabbit
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma_cg View Post
...do you guys think 800CAD is a good price to pay for a good condition (i didnt inspect it) g1 overlord?
Only if you can actually fly around in the bloody thing's spacecraft mode.