Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
joedick
Generation 1
Re: Ages Three And Up - Product and PreOrder Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
nah, here's the 411

a few months ago smaller sellers like a3u was offered this deluxe wave. Nothing unusual or weird but some of those retailers passed because Bee is the only real seller with Elita taking second. The rest are shelf warmers as they are lke the 3rd release of said characters (wheeljack, impactor....)

so what youre seeing is a jack up in price on the big seller to cover the potential loss of the shelf warmers. Essentially they are packing the entire waves profit on Bee in the event they have left overs from the rest.

still scalpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
Knowing one of the owners a lil bit and seeing how he's been fairly transparent when higher costs translated into higher prices with his other business, I'm pretty confident that's what we're seeing here, and yeah these probably were indeed sourced from a distributor intending them for japanese market release.

The suggestion that Bumblebee is where they're looking to actually make the profit is probably true as well, since he's the chase figure and they were almost certainly required to buy these as case assortments. I mean, really, anyone who wanted Impactor or Siege Red Alert will have gotten them in this deco or one almost exactly like it long ago.

At a glance, it might seem scalpy, but that's never been their style, and I'm not about to assume they're starting down that dark path over one wave listing.

Doesn't look like these are from Japan as they have stock images of the NA packaging. I'd be open to the idea that they're trying to recover losses on the others except they are charging $50 for those too. Not even CMD is doing that (and CMD allows you to buy the full set for $33.99 each). Even if that was the case, assuming the case pack is the same as WM, they are MORE than making up for the losses if they were to sell the non-Bee&Elita figures for $10 each (which wouldn't be too hard).

I get that A3U are good people, I've bought from them and have pre-orders with them, and they are excellent. But this sucks in my opinion. I get they're not breaking rules, and I am sympathetic to the challenges of small businesses, but it sucks when only a handful of outlets get something and they all jack up the price.

At least with regular scalpers we have a chance to get them at a normal price before they scoop them up. Not so here, and that's why I think this is terrible. I get that they may want to charge a bit extra as specialty often do. But more than double retail for Bumblebee?

I got no skin in the game here - I was lucky enough to find Bee & Elita at WM. But if everyone who got theirs always keeps quiet, this stuff is never going to change.
joedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #22
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedick View Post
I get that A3U are good people, I've bought from them and have pre-orders with them, and they are excellent. But this sucks in my opinion. I get they're not breaking rules, and I am sympathetic to the challenges of small businesses, but it sucks when only a handful of outlets get something and they all jack up the price.
1 - Does anyone here know for a fact what they paid for these figures? Not speculation, but fact.

2 - But for the sake of argument, lets say they paid the same as Walmart. If I posted up Netflix stuff for higher prices, would anyone here bat an eye? But yet a small retailer does it and suddenly the pitchforks and torches are out. Sure raise a stink. Maybe next time they won't even bother with that small selection and instead focus their resources on something else that won't garner them a punch in the face for simply offering the consumer an option.

Because that's what it is. If you don't like their price, then you have the option to not pay it, like me.

Do I like the price for Bee, no, which why I'm not paying it. I actually want one, but if I miss out on this one Bee, I'm not going to get flustered. Because missing out on an umpteenth Bumblebee isn't the end of the world, and I'm sure he'll get a re-release in some form. Or heck, in a new and improved form down the road.

IMHO, people are getting them selves all up in a froth over FOMO. The smell of desperation and fear of missing out lingers around here like a big wet fart in a small elevator. I've been collecting long enough to know yesterday's hotness is tomorrow's bargain bin staple. Patience is paramount if you want something at your personal price point.

And on a final side note. Did anyone take notice they were selling Commander class Rodimus Prime for $115, which is $10 cheaper than what TRU is charging? Guess which retailer I chose to buy from?
Old 11-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
steamwhistle
Crossover

heh.

it's not just about one figure -- there is an overall business with thousands of product to consider.

if you can run a retail business better, go for it.

don't like it; don't buy.

I can understand that there are many reasons as to why they might mark-up Bee is such a fashion. I'm fine with it.

I'd rather have a Netflixy Bee @ $70 instead of 4.5 meals at some wretched fast food place.

i'll just trade off my budget in that sense if I decide I want that Bee, and it would be an easy buy for myself.

Last edited by steamwhistle; 11-15-2021 at 06:33 PM.
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #24
joedick
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
1 - Does anyone here know for a fact what they paid for these figures? Not speculation, but fact.

2 - But for the sake of argument, lets say they paid the same as Walmart. If I posted up Netflix stuff for higher prices, would anyone here bat an eye? But yet a small retailer does it and suddenly the pitchforks and torches are out. Sure raise a stink. Maybe next time they won't even bother with that small selection and instead focus their resources on something else that won't garner them a punch in the face for simply offering the consumer an option.

Because that's what it is. If you don't like their price, then you have the option to not pay it, like me.

1 - I don't know what they're paying and I imagine it's not as good a deal as Walmart (though that's not certain either since WM may have had to pay a premium for the exclusivity window). But I'd wager it's close to if not the same as CMD, and they are offering the 5 figures for $169.95 which leads me to believe there's money to be made in selling them for $33.99.

2 - If you bought it and posted it at a premium at least, in theory, we all had some opportunity to buy them at retail. We don't have that opportunity with the Bumblebee reissue, that is what bothers me. Scalpers suck, but everyone should be able to sell their stuff for what it's worth. I just have a problem with stuff going straight from the distributor to excessively marked up prices. If they added $10-15 I wouldn't be posting this but it's more than double, almost 150% increase.

I don't think it's fair to say we shouldn't have the conversation because next time they may not bother to order any. We don't have to agree on this, it's cool. But I'm glad I got to bring it up and express my concern, even if nobody else here agrees or cares.

Of course nobody is being forced to buy anything at a price they don't like. I always tell people not to pay scalper prices for Hasbro product because they reissue or remake stuff all the time. But that advice doesn't work if the reissue can only be bought at scalper prices.
joedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #25
steamwhistle
Crossover

CMD is offering Netflix Bee individually on pre-order for $89.99, so... A3U's $69.99 seems 'better'.

CMD
https://www.cmdstore.ca/collections/...-5010993782178

A3U
https://www.agesthreeandup.ca/collec...ertron-trilogy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle

Last edited by steamwhistle; 11-16-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #26
RocketGTR
Animated

Does the price for Bee suck? Yes. But as Sun Swipe Prime pointed out, we really don't know what their costs were to obtain the wave. And as UsernamePrime pointed out, stock sitting on their shelves just costs them money especially with two figures that could be found in the general release unlike Bee and Elita. Only ppl who missed out originally or like to collect every variation will be the main customers for the two repaints.

Honestly, the bigger issue is Hasbro releasing these figures that everyone wants as store exclusives. Should be like the MOTU Origins line. Exclusive for x amount of months. Then general release everywhere else. Or least get a general release down the line even if different accessories or something.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #27
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
But I'd wager it's close to if not the same as CMD, and they are offering the 5 figures for $169.95 which leads me to believe there's money to be made in selling them for $33.99.
If they sold them at that price, who buys them? Ideally, the regular Joes, right? But in that instance, it'll be just like it being sold at Walmart. It'll be a free for all, and there will be a shortage of supply, because we all know there is. So, some will end up in the regular Joe's hands. Well, those who are quick enough to order. Others will end up being scooped and scalped just like they'd be if they were sold by Walmart. The extra money goes to the scalper here.

At the higher price, it makes it riskier or not worth it at all for the scalper, and in this case, the retailer makes the extra money. And more of the product is available for the consumer if they're willing to pay the price for it.

IMHO, at the end of the day, it's about who ends up with the extra money from a bump in price, and how much that bump in price is. Right now on Ebay, I'm seeing Bee going for $60-$70 American.

Quote:
2 - If you bought it and posted it at a premium at least, in theory, we all had some opportunity to buy them at retail. We don't have that opportunity with the Bumblebee reissue, that is what bothers me. Scalpers suck, but everyone should be able to sell their stuff for what it's worth. I just have a problem with stuff going straight from the distributor to excessively marked up prices. If they added $10-15 I wouldn't be posting this but it's more than double, almost 150% increase.
So, basically the retailer is the bad guy here just because they have sources that the regular person doesn't? Scalpers can get to product before regular people too. All they have to do is know someone on the inside that can let them know exactly when something will be hitting the shelves in exchange for a buck or two.

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say we shouldn't have the conversation because next time they may not bother to order any. We don't have to agree on this, it's cool. But I'm glad I got to bring it up and express my concern, even if nobody else here agrees or cares.

No where did I say we can't have this conversation, but lets be fair about this. Every small retailer bumps the price on high demand figures. Yet, in this one particular instance we're choosing to give A3U flak for it and none of the other retailers? And at the same time not even noticing or caring that in some instances they actually sell things at a lower cost than regular retail.

Quote:
Of course nobody is being forced to buy anything at a price they don't like. I always tell people not to pay scalper prices for Hasbro product because they reissue or remake stuff all the time. But that advice doesn't work if the reissue can only be bought at scalper prices.
If the price isn't right, then don't pay it regardless of what figure it is. Transformers aren't a necessity. They're a luxury that no one absolutely needs. We can't always get what we want. That's life. We can't let FOMO drive us to pay what we're not comfortable with. That way madness lies.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:32 AM   #28
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. this conversation is a go nowhere pointless endeavor.
Correct.

What is occurring is complaining without any prospect of resolution. Quite similar to a lot of complaining in the world... Still, it can be therapeutic to vent.

These retailers are in a tough spot. They don't want to lose money, and I won't blame them for that. Is the problem with Hasbro/Takara and/or their distributors forcing the retailers to buy specific wave boxes including less-desired items? Really, anger and disappointment should be directed higher up the chain -- not at the bottom level retailers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #29
RansakWORK
Beasty

Didnt they change it recently to be like MOTU where exclusive figures are only exclusive for X number of months then is available to all retailers?
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #30
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansakWORK View Post
Didnt they change it recently to be like MOTU where exclusive figures are only exclusive for X number of months then is available to all retailers?
Off topic but the new MOTU stuff sure makes TF's look like brutal value.

Last edited by Soundwaves; 11-17-2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: 1 too many but's.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote