Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Vancouver cyclist charged $3,700 for damage to car that hit him

To our board members out there in BC, please be careful now that the weather improving.

ARTICLE: Vancouver cyclist charged $3,700 for damage to car that hit him

[Only quoting approx 2/3 of the article]
Quote:
A Vancouver cyclist has been slapped with a $3,700 bill from the provincial vehicle insurer to repair the hood and windshield of a car that hit and injured him last summer.

Ben Bolliger said he was pedalling to get lunch on Granville Island when a driver of a Mercedes-Benz ran a stop sign at the intersection of Willow Street and West 7th Avenue, striking him with enough force to badly break his right arm and snap his bike in two.

"I may have entered the intersection going maybe five kilometres an hour and I was thrown 14 metres," he said. "They removed many pieces of windshield from my back. I think in the end [I received] close to 97 sutures and staples."

According to the assessment of the incident by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), Bolliger was found to be 50 per cent at fault for the crash and was charged accordingly for the damage to the car.

Bolliger and cycling advocates say his case highlights flaws in ICBC's recently introduced no-fault insurance system.

"They are treating my bike as if it's an uninsured vehicle ... just as they would a car, which in my mind is bonkers," Bolliger said.

"And under this new no-fault insurance regime ? which seems comical at this point ? there is really no or very little recourse for cyclists."

In a statement, ICBC said investigators review all evidence before reaching a decision. It said in claims involving conflicting accounts or insufficient evidence, "responsibility for the crash may be split," and that decisions can be appealed through the civil resolution process.

Under the no-fault system, people can no longer sue for damages if they're injured in a crash involving a vehicle.

ICBC switched to the model May 1, 2021, promising it would save the average B.C. driver $400 a year in premiums while redirecting hundreds of millions of dollars spent on lawyers and legal costs to benefit those injured in crashes.

Bolliger's plight came to light after he posted about it on social media. As it turns out, he isn't the only cyclist unhappy with ICBC.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions
Re: Vancouver cyclist charged $3,700 for damage to car that hit him

My parents and sister are out in BC and they're stuck using the scam that is ICBC after having a choice of companies all their life in Ontario. They absolutely hate it

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:16 AM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

First ICBC sucks ass. NOOOWWW with that said.

Out here, there are plenty of crazy, a-hole cyclists. They blow through stop signs, nearly getting hit, and flip you off when you honk like it's your fault. They cheat into busy intersections obstructing cars so they can't make a simple right hand turn. They refuse to move over to let you pass even after you patiently wait for a proper opportunity. They demand to be treated like other vehicles but refuse to follow the rules of the road.

Now to be fair, there are just as many, if not more, idiot drivers out here, too. The government could save a ton of money if they just instituted a simple, three step test every few years for drivers to keep their license. Test one, be able to parallel park. Test two, be able to merge on to the highway and know you can't do it doing 40kmph. Test three, be able to make a RIGHT hand turn using only one lane.

For any curious, here's a video that shows all the shit driving, cycling, and walking that goes down around this neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojwRpqja9U

https://youtu.be/6Xl4oI6WBLQ?t=300
Old 04-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Out here, there are plenty of crazy, a-hole cyclists. They blow through stop signs, nearly getting hit, and flip you off when you honk like it's your fault.
I wonder if that's what happened, he blew the stop sign.
So then it would be 2 people blowing both their stop signs and crashing.

As crazy as it sounds, if both are at fault, shouldn't they both share the damage? (even if 1 is a bike while 1 is a 1000 pound car!)

And if that's the case, then the car driver should pay 50% for the bicycle, in return.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Now to be fair, there are just as many, if not more, idiot drivers out here, too. The government could save a ton of money if they just instituted a simple, three step test every few years for drivers to keep their license. Test one, be able to parallel park. Test two, be able to merge on to the highway and know you can't do it doing 40kmph. Test three, be able to make a RIGHT hand turn using only one lane.
Those last 2 tests are a Must!

I guess all provinces have their brand of bad drivers.

-Quebec has the "Aggressive drivers" who's cars seemingly all lack turn signals.

-Ontario has the "Sunday Drivers" who drive 70 km/hr on the Leftist lane on the highway, while several right lanes are empty.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
I wonder if that's what happened, he blew the stop sign.
So then it would be 2 people blowing both their stop signs and crashing.

As crazy as it sounds, if both are at fault, shouldn't they both share the damage? (even if 1 is a bike while 1 is a 1000 pound car!)

And if that's the case, then the car driver should pay 50% for the bicycle, in return.
It could be there's proof the cyclist did something wrong. Lots of people out here have dash cams. I do and I feel better for it. It's amazing how some people's attitudes will completely change once they know they're being recorded.