Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
JLvatron
Chosen 1
[Report] Montreal Toy & sci-fi convention

Hi all, I didn't even know about this earlier. Fortunately, Guber told me this morning so I was able to scoot there on time.

It took place at Courtyard Marriott in Cote-Vertu, St-Laurent. Accessible location, free parking, and $3 admission. A winning combination for starters!

It was in 2 conference rooms, a bit smaller than TFcon 2003. Roughly 40% toys, 30% comics, 30% dvd's, cards, and other stuff, including some fool dancing for money in a costume. Lucky for him we couldn't see his face!

Toys mainly included Transformers, StarWars, and Buffy/Angel. Impressive stuff, including alatta TF new movie and recent lines.
The dvd's were mostly bootlegs in nice cases. These were the only things I purchased: Dungeons & Dragons complete series, live action Spiderman series, and the StarWars Holiday Special for my friend. The seller said it was the 1st SW ever seen by the public, even before the movie; but I'm sure he's wrong.

There were some familiar TFcon faces there.

Tablers included Protoman, at the largest toy booth with tons of Buffy/Angel stuff and more, and Mark (of Mark's Projects and the Customizing panel) showcasing his impressive custom TF stuff like his professional Transforming costumes and toys.

Other TFconners included Guber, Newton, Katharine, Sandy, and Mike.

Newton spotted the Transformers Monopoly game at a nearby store 2 blocks away, so we went there and Guber bought it. Thanks, Newt!
1 gamer there is organizing a Transformers RPG for an upcoming convention. I'm definitely gonna join in that!

This was a great show and amazing effort for its 1st year!
It was obviously more of a trade show since there were no events, other than cartoon movies playing in the tv area. So I suggest adding some events to make it a completer 'convention' experience for next year.

Also, they need to advertise more. Posting on forums costs no money, so it's kinda weird why they didn't advertize it here on Canada's largest online Transformers forum.
Especially since Transformers was a large portion of their toy merchandise, and the co-organizers had Transformers tables.

Weird, indeed.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Mega_Zarak
Generation 2
Re: [Report] Montreal Toy & sci-fi convention

I went early in the morning. I saw some interesting transfomers, but the sellers were asking too much: 160$ for a E-hobby Twincast, 150$ for an incomplete G1 Abominus!
Mega_Zarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
rid
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega_Zarak View Post
I went early in the morning. I saw some interesting transfomers, but the sellers were asking too much: 160$ for a E-hobby Twincast, 150$ for an incomplete G1 Abominus!
I was there and all in all, I think it was OK. Though I agreed with you that there were some pretty incredibly expensive stuff. The guy at the entrancee was asking RiD Scourge for $100. yeah, $100!!! And the one in the back was asking $65 for Alt Rumble and same price for Alt Ravage. But there were a couple of fair prices like the US-Walmart exclusive Devastator for $50. Not exactly cheap but fair considering it can't be found in Canada.
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Northerncrowe
Generation 2

The prices were nuts. Most of the guys were from toys on fire and were asking a good 75% more than their online stores.
Northerncrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Protoman
The Legend

Hahah oh guys......... these kind of cons while here and there have prices that are good deals a majority of the stuff is meant to rape the average douche with money. In the morning at 10am, Robert and me had 3 movie Optimus Prime's for 80 (a mark up from our case order of 17 bucks) and they all sold quickly, even if others had it there for cheaper or hey, TRU even. My buddy Chris who had all the ehobby stuff....... well he always has horrible prices, the worst and yet..... people shell out. While the average educated TF fan won't pay 100 bucks for Reissue Soundwave from TRU, someone, with a wallet and a TFTM hype in their blood will. It was great meeting all kinds of different local TF fans at the con. For those who didn't know, I was the one at the table with the Buffy stuff and in the later half of the day set up all the g1 stuff (G1 Predacons, Seeker jets, ect)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 06-04-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Hahah oh guys......... these kind of cons while here and there have prices that are good deals a majority of the stuff is meant to rape the average doosh with money. In the morning at 10am, Robert and me had 3 movie Optimus Prime's for 80 (a mark up from our case order of 17 bucks) and they all sold quickly, even if others had it there for cheaper or hey, TRU even. My buddy Chris who had all the ehobby stuff....... well he always has horrible prices, the worst and yet..... people shell out. While the average educated TF fan won't pay 100 bucks for Reissue Soundwave from TRU, someone, with a wallet and a TFTM hype in their blood will. It was great meeting all kinds of different local TF fans at the con. For those who didn't know, I was the one at the table with the Buffy stuff and in the later half of the day set up all the g1 stuff (G1 Predacons, Seeker jets, ect)
Wow, sounds like one crappy convention.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Well personally, I use these conventions to swoop in before the rest of the crowd (being a dealer), snag any needed TF holes in my never ending completiest, then spend the rest of the day chating it up and educating con locals about their buys. It's more a social thing, it was the same reason I loved TFcon, not for the dealer room but all the stories and people there. I met a guy looking for Shockwave, someone who recently got MP Megatron and wanted to talk about him, a girl who was looking for a original G1 Rodimus for her boy friend, I love that stuff. I mean even me, with all the discounts and deals only got G1 Flamefeather complete (obscure G1 Firecon) some G1 paper work and Kilazee from Ultraman Towards the Future, THAT'S IT. Personally I hope something like this to happen again soon.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

We have about 3/4 Con/Toyshows a year in Winnipeg and I agree its mostly about the visiting and talking with the other collectors. Thing can be expensive but sometimes it worth it. Last show in March I picked up the Skywarp/Magnus 2 pack for $38. I know its double what you would pay in the states but I had it in hand and looked at like this-the Voyager Classic Prime was going for $29.99 and Starscream was $14.99-thats forty five bucks for the two. Really even though I paid at least double I felt like I got a deal.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #9
Protoman
The Legend

Exactly Rob, that's what it's really about, a gathering of fellow lovers of the same interest. We are together cause we love toys, sure we can also buy them while we are here, but to minger and chat is the real goal.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Well personally, I use these conventions to swoop in before the rest of the crowd (being a dealer), snag any needed TF holes in my never ending completiest, then spend the rest of the day chating it up and educating con locals about their buys. It's more a social thing, it was the same reason I loved TFcon, not for the dealer room but all the stories and people there. I met a guy looking for Shockwave, someone who recently got MP Megatron and wanted to talk about him, a girl who was looking for a original G1 Rodimus for her boy friend, I love that stuff. I mean even me, with all the discounts and deals only got G1 Flamefeather complete (obscure G1 Firecon) some G1 paper work and Kilazee from Ultraman Towards the Future, THAT'S IT. Personally I hope something like this to happen again soon.
Of course any con with enthusiastic people is still a great thing as you guys say! There were various good deals to be had at TFCon as well though, if you were somewhat tactful (as you also sort of mention). I like both but am trying to build a bit of an mib/mint g1 figure collection so I like a chance to get such stuff without the prices being well higher than ebay.

PS hehe, I stood and watched a guy struggling through trying to transform mp05 megs for over half an hour at tfcon
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote