Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: New G1 dvd is CHEAPER in Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh_da_man View Post
no one is waiting for the matrix of leadership box set? I don't see the advantage to buying the individual seasons instead of just waiting for the box set.
I plan to wait for the complete series boxset. Pre-order price is said to be 140 $US.

I would expect there'll be some small difference in the extras between the individual sets and complete boxset.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Good deal there!

What exactly is the big difference between these and the Rhino releases?

Is it worth the upgrade?
The new 1 will have extras plus the Rhino mistakes will be fixed.
Did you notice the problems with the Rhinos? Several fans, including TFcon's own Guber, have done much research on the issue.

Below is an excerpt from wikepedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tra...ers_(TV_series)

---

Issues with Rhino Releases

Rhino's DVD boxsets have been criticized by owners. Various reasons include that the episodes as seen on the Rhino DVDs are based on incomplete 35 mm film masters, as opposed to the original 1" broadcast master videotapes aired on television. Although the film masters are very detailed and colorful, some of the episodes contain alternate or incomplete/missing animation that was originally corrected/completed for the broadcast versions. As a result, the DVD versions on some of the episodes are less "finished" than the versions that aired on television. Rhino attempted to fix some of the "new" errors, with lackluster results. Most of the errors are in the Season 1 box set with "Heavy Metal War" being the worst episode in terms of incomplete animation and bad attempts by Rhino to fix the errors.[4]

In addition, the telecine transfer of the film masters turned out to be sub-par, and did not provide any proper 3:2 pulldown system for transferring the 24 frames-per-second film to 60 fields-per-second video. As a result, aliasing (jaggies) appear frequently in most, if not all, of the episodes.

Further, the Rhino versions of the episodes have a plethora of newly-added sound effects from a stock sound effects library (which many fans have said are annoying and distracting), sound effects that did not appear in the episodes as originally produced and broadcast. These sound effects were intended to only appear on the episodes' 5.1 soundtrack, but for select episodes in the Season 1 and Season 2 Part 1 sets, the stereo soundtrack also exhibited the added sounds. For the Season 2 Part 2 set, every single episode's 2.0 stereo soundtrack had the added sounds from the 5.1 track. It wasn't until the Transformers Season 3, Part 1 boxset that Rhino bowed to the fanbase and added an "original broadcast audio" option. These new sound effects were also applied to several European releases of the Transformers series, as well as to The Transformers: The Movie: Reconstructed DVD (although it should be noted that Rhino's own version of TF:TM does not have the added sound effects). Only serving to enhance the discontent, the sound studio responsible for this, Magno Sound, claim that the sounds were always there.[5]

Other complaints aimed at the Rhino sets including incorrect opening sequences of three of the episodes (Five Faces Of Darkness Parts 1,2, and 4), and ending credits of at least 13 episodes on the first box set. There are some bonus features that have little or nothing to do with the original series (such as Neil Kaplan's interview).

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh_da_man View Post
Says they should be released July 13, 2009 but I'm not sure of when or if it'll be released in Canada.
Thanks.

Thats like 13 months from now. I'll poke away with the individual sets. Since I have Season 3 1&2 already I likely wont want the whole thing anyway.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Personally I'm planning on picking up the individual sets for two reasons

1.) It's cheaper for me to drop $20-25 at a time.

2.) The large box set won't fit in my DVD shelves from IKEA

Plus if each season ends up costing around $25 (I'm not saying it will, so don't jump all over me here) it will be cheaper in the long run. I don't feel the need for the matrix box or other special features/extras.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
hugh_da_man
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Thanks.

Thats like 13 months from now. I'll poke away with the individual sets. Since I have Season 3 1&2 already I likely wont want the whole thing anyway.
? 13 months? It's like a month.
hugh_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Oops, I read that as 2010. Thats a strange way to go as far as release dates go. I'd think they would want to do each one individually and then try to cash in on the big set.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
tusko
Classic

I must see it in hand to consider it. The box set is intriguing and I may wait for that baby.
No comment on a Blue Ray version? They better not put one out in November.
Thanks for the info.
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Man, that Matrix boxset better have finger holes... so I can role play as Rodimus

Yeah that Rhino sets extra sound-effects really sucked ballz, I noticed those and I was certain I never heard those before.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
The new 1 will have extras plus the Rhino mistakes will be fixed.
Did you notice the problems with the Rhinos? Several fans, including TFcon's own Guber, have done much research on the issue.
Some of the stuff I never did notice. I had always figured the colour issues were from the original... I couldn't remember.

Maybe if this set comes out for BluRay.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Some of the stuff I never did notice. I had always figured the colour issues were from the original... I couldn't remember.

Maybe if this set comes out for BluRay.
If you're satisfied with the Rhinos, I wouldn't spend $140 on a new set. If blu-ray comes out is that worth it?

I don't have the Rhinos, I've just heard my friend's testimony about the errors. I know the Sci-Fi channel broadcasts from 15 years ago cut out scenes; I heard Rhinos did this too, but I'm not sure.

I can easily wait the 1 month to buy the Matrix set. Matrix, I want it badly!