Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!
Going to China next week...1st time

Got a call from the big boss man on Saturday. Apparently I will be off to China for a few days next week. So far, all I know is that we'll be flying into Hong Kong and then off to Foshan City.
Anyone had any luck scoring TF's in the Hong Kong airport? Or any suggestions on where to poke around? Any tips would be great. Unfortunately time will be tight.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Going to China next week...1st time

Your mission: to break into Hasbro's factory and bring me back Animated Soundwave, Oil Slick, Blitzwing, etc.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
chisau

I would be very appreciated if you can bring back a KO alternator Grimlock for me.
chisau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeff View Post
Got a call from the big boss man on Saturday. Apparently I will be off to China for a few days next week. So far, all I know is that we'll be flying into Hong Kong and then off to Foshan City.
Anyone had any luck scoring TF's in the Hong Kong airport? Or any suggestions on where to poke around? Any tips would be great. Unfortunately time will be tight.
Yes, there are stores @ HK airport that stock toys. I have found Binaltechs and Soul of Chogokin figures over there last year when I was visiting. However, prices are not the best.

You can always go to TRU. They sell US version and Japanese version TFs there among other things like Gundam model kits, etc. There are quite a few of them around the city. You may be able to find something that is not available here: for instance I got a Classic Ultra Magnus + Thundercracker set @ one TRU. There are one in almost all major shopping malls, like the Ocean Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui district, which is just next to the Star Ferry Pier on the Kowloon peninsular side. Just google it. There are always the one and two odd toy stores in shopping malls/centers that you may come across when you are walking around. Shopping is everywhere in Hong Kong

On the Hong Kong Island side there is a street called Tai Yeun St. (you can find it on google map) in Wan Chai district on Hong Kong Island that has a couple of toy stores. They usually sell things @ really good prices. I bought my Revoltech Prime there for around $16 Cadn or so last year. You may be able to find TFs there. I think I have read that they started selling Animated and the Japanese Classic series already over there! The street stalls around there may have KOs. If you decided to go you can walked a bit east from there and there is a mall on Wan Chai Road (I think it is called Wan Chi 188 or something nearby to the corner of Heard St and Wan Chai Road) that has a few toy stores (and video games stores if you are into that too). Just walk up the stair to the 2nd floor.

Or, you can go to Mong Kok district. There are tons of collectable/toy stores around there. Some are located in the basement of Sino Centre on Nathan Road. There are some more around that area that I couldn't recall the names of. Some are even on the upper floors inside commercial/residential buildings which are hard to locate so unless you have time to walk around don't bother. There are also a new shopping center next to a somewhat upscale hotel on Portland St between Argyle St and Shantung St called Langham Place which has a couple of toys stores inside (it stands out from all the old and slumpy types of buildings around so you won't be able to miss it). If you are in Mong Kok, pay a visit to Sai Yeung Choi St or the "Women's St" a block east of Nathan Rd between Argyle and Dundas St. You may find some KOs there (or very cheap iPod and cellphone skins, etc. and bootlegs goods. Even lingerie ). One thing about Mong Kok: it is crowded beyond imagination. You may find it overwhelming.

Someone told me there there are a few KO and toys distributors in the Sham Shui Po district. However, that person didn't give me the exact addresses... I spent a few hours walking around w/o any success. However, I did able to see a few small general stores around that sell toys (authentic + KO) at cheap. However, it is not the best part of the town, if you know what I mean, so I don't know if you will be thrilled walking around the block there. Of course, it is where the famous Golden Computer Centre @ Yen Chow St and Fuk Wa St. which has tons of game stores and computer stores (I bought a really cheap batteries iPod charger and a USB 2.0 hub over there last time. Not to mention a R4 for NDS).

BTW, most stores sell the latest batch except for the ones that are into vintages (or stores that hold their prices high ) so don't expect to find older gen stuffs.

Unfortunately I don't have the addresses of these places for you. Sounds confusing? Yes, it is so unless you have a local (or someone who has been there) to give you a hand you will probably not be able to do this quick. But then, some of these are somewhat well-known and I did see some tourist type people around when I was out shopping over there, even in some non-tourist locations, so it is not totally undoable. Also, since I don't live in there anymore and I only visit there once every few years or so there must be places that I don't aware of that have tons of TFs too. But, even if you didn't score anything it is a very interesting and different shopping experience that you won't forget. But if you really want to score some TFs only, your best bet, w/ a tight schedule, would be TRU. If I were over there too I don't mind to give you a "toy" tour or even explore a bit further together but too bad I'm not

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 04-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
rid
Beast Machine

Wow, I was about to give my $0.02 but QuadESL63 pretty much covered what I know about HK...

In addition, there's a shopping mall on Dundas street, in Kowloon, called Siu Man Center (that's how I was told it's pronounced). It's hard to find but if you find it, it's a gold mine. Just go into stores and ask where you can find some TF and people can direct you to it. It's a small/narrow building but it's tall. It's a 7-level shopping mall. There's about 2 dozen stores selling toys and about half a dozen with a good TF selection. Most of the TF store are grouped on one floor (I think it was the 3rd or 4th). But you can find some other stores spread out within the building. I made a killing in this mall. I came home with over a dozen HTF TFs. Here's a map to give you a better idea (unfortunately I can't pinpoint it coz it's been a while...): map

You can also look at eBay to find sellers from HK and drop them a line. I found someone who was willing to meet up with me to sell his TF stuff. Some others would refer you to local stores.

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)

Last edited by rid; 04-01-2008 at 02:01 PM.
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Wow, Now I want to go, lol...

Have a great trip and hopfully you can come back with some Transformery goodness.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rid View Post
Wow, I was about to give my $0.02 but QuadESL63 pretty much covered what I know about HK...
I've just been over there last yr. That helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rid View Post
In addition, there's a shopping mall on Dundas street, in Kowloon, called Siu Man Center (that's how I was told it's pronounced). It's hard to find but if you find it, it's a gold mine. Just go into stores and ask where you can find some TF and people can direct you to it. It's a small/narrow building but it's tall. It's a 7-level shopping mall. There's about 2 dozen stores selling toys and about half a dozen with a good TF selection. Most of the TF store are grouped on one floor (I think it was the 3rd or 4th). But you can find some other stores spread out within the building. I made a killing in this mall. I came home with over a dozen HTF TFs. Here's a map to give you a better idea (unfortunately I can't pinpoint it coz it's been a while...): map
Yes, I missed that one: CTMA Centre

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...00523&t=h&z=18

Oh, Hong Kong may be a small place in the world but it is a big city so don't expect every locals know where these toy stores are Not all of them are collectors But if you have the name of the street like Tai Yeun Street or even shopping mall (e.g. Langham, Sino, CTMA, etc.) they may be able to help. Forget about cabs. Roads are all congested so it is better to get around on subway (MTR in local-speak). It gets you almost anywhere w/ shops. Most shops (esp. the smaller ones) open around or just before lunch time (usually start @ 1:00 pm instead of the usual noon here) so don't bother to plan for even an mid morning trip but they do open until 9-10 pm for most or might be even later for a selected fews (esp. for street stalls type like those on "Women Street" that I have mentioned... it is like a night market). Hey! Even TRU open @ 11:00 am: I had to wait for them to open

So BadJeff, are you going to stay in a hotel in Hong Kong and where will it be? How long will you be there? There are tons of stuffs beyond toys like trying out the foods, etc. Toys... you can get them from A3U or somewhere May be you should get a couple of vacation days and stay over?

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 04-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

QuadESL+RID..you've exceeded my expectations... I'll have to print this off and read when I have more time tonight.
Jourdo, I may need to ship back a box of loot to your house to avoid spousal detection
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Buddy @ work says I have this to look forward too..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
onecoin
Banned

Wow. They should make a Frommers or Lonely Planet just for TF shopping.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote