Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction Hits $1 Billion Milestone

Interesting read:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=24377&ss=as

As most people already know, $1 Billion, isn't $1 Billion. Roughly 50% goes to the distributor (Paramount).

From the sounds of this article, it would seem that mainland China is going to keep 75%, and then Paramount has to deal with lawsuits so who knows what they'll eventually clear.

Now, the movie is a success (financially) so I wouldn't worry if I were Paramount, but it sounds like China will be the next big market. However if you are a movie maker, be prepared for a rough couple of years when dealing with them.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

That is interesting.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
RageD
Energon

They say China will overtake the US by 2017 in Movies. Apparently china has 18,000 theaters...........The US Opens Movies in Approx 4000.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
They say China will overtake the US by 2017 in Movies. Apparently china has 18,000 theaters...........The US Opens Movies in Approx 4000.
India has the 2nd largest population in the world, why didn't Transformers make a lot money there?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
RageD
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
India has the 2nd largest population in the world, why didn't Transformers make a lot money there?
Population is irrelevant if they only have 15 theatres and no-one can afford to go.

The largest movie chain operator in india has 350 screens. Compare that to the US and China and you have your answer.

Last edited by RageD; 08-04-2014 at 10:36 AM.
RageD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
gcuemjj23
Generation 2

How many of those people who contributed to the 1 billion wish they could have the 3 hours they wasted back?
gcuemjj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

Transformers was always going to get a big budget movie made.

Essentially since inception it's been a powerhouse in retail merchandise.

If it wouldn't have been bay, it would have just been someone else.

We're talking about a pre established brand here that has legs already.

They knew Bay wouldn't do anything different than in the past and create something most 8 year olds would love. Great.

I don't agree that it's good for the franchise.

Anyone who did this movie with paramount and hastaks promotional dollars would have seen similar success...maybe without bastardizing the characters, aesthetic and lore in the process.

In order for this movie to even be such a success, they literally played every card in their deck to make it appeal to Chinese audiences.

Very smart, but without that sino push for dollars, this movie would be a near flop.

Last edited by Wheeljack Off; 08-04-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Wheeljack Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcuemjj23 View Post
How many of those people who contributed to the 1 billion wish they could have the 3 hours they wasted back?
Not me, I'd like to see if a few more times so I can pick out more details and plot then the first time I saw it. Can't wait for it on DVD. I hear they bumped up the DVD release date to Sept. Now just need to wait for it to come out and be on sale, because I refuse to pay full price for items now.

Money is money, gotta rake it in when you can because in this unstable ecomony, you never know when you will be making none.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Last edited by Knockout; 08-04-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Yeah without China this movie would be a flop. Doug Walker really summed it up well: it's the same darn thing as the last three movies. It's not any more clever or interesting, it hits the same notes, it's practically on autopilot. They push the dinobots like nuts and we get 20 minutes of them! Why not make them more important?!

Seriously Hollywood, can we get a Transformers movie that's a little more clever than that? It's not like Marvel movies are the peak of smart movie, but they're still more engaging and still super successful! More Guardians of the Galaxy, less Bayverse please -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Because India has its own, very robust, movie industry?

Last edited by Undrave; 08-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
Yeah without China this movie would be a flop. Doug Walker really summed it up well: it's the same darn thing as the last three movies. It's not any more clever or interesting, it hits the same notes, it's practically on autopilot. They push the dinobots like nuts and we get 20 minutes of them! Why not make them more important?!

Seriously Hollywood, can we get a Transformers movie that's a little more clever than that? It's not like Marvel movies are the peak of smart movie, but they're still more engaging and still super successful! More Guardians of the Galaxy, less Bayverse please -_-

Because India has its own, very robust, movie industry?
I feel like I am the only one who disliked GOTG. Then again I wasn't an Avengers fan either. Fell asleep during it and the first Captain America. It's all a matter of taste. What one sees in AOE, not all are going to see. But then again, I found DOTM the best of the 3 before where alot of people liked the first of them.

It is all a matter of unique tastes and differences, I liked AOE, I wouldnt say I am a huge Bayverse fan but I've grown to tolerate it's existance in the brand and I went in with low expectations, I really thought Bay would do something totally dumb and would not be able to live up to the hype or the story of DOTM. And this movie totally blew me away. I mean it's got flaws, but what movie doesn't? And there was some areas I wish were cut from the film aka the Dinobots because they were useless and Galvatron because he was also useless.

And I don't look at it as China helped this, because seriously I don't care. I just care that the movie made 1 billion when so many said it would flop onto it's face. It doesn't matter where it made the money, where it didn't because the end result is the same. Will it make Bay come out with 5 and 6. I hope so. Will he bring in Roddie and Ultra Magnus, I hope so. (But it also worries me)

Don't look at it as I supported a bad movie, because it's a bad movie in your opinion, but in others it isn't, look at it as a I supported the Transformers brand as a whole and it's a brand I love. Because if this movie flopped, the toys which aren't doing well regardless also would flop, retailers would be iffy about bringing in more product especially after the Prime fiasco. It's like this movie was the retailers giving Hasbro a second chance to prove itself.

The movie did well, but the toys are bleh, something is wrong here and I hope Hasbro sees that putting out as much crappy crap isn't going to attract buyers. And maybe they should invest in more quality stuff, charge abit more if you want but give us something that equals the amount you charge. Maybe tone down the amount of OP, Megatron and Bee's thanks.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote