Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-01-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
ChaosTheory
Generation 2
Exclamation Collectability vs Preservation with respect to Batteries

Hello,

I had a question I wanted to throw out to the masses on the board re preservation vs collectability wrt toys with batteries..

In specific, I am using my 25th Anniversary G1 Optimus Prime Deluxe Box Set as my example.

Now, the Autobot shield/voice box is pre-loaded with batteries from factory. I am concerned about battery discharge ruining this part of the set, but by breaking the factory seal to remove the batteries will I significantly be decreasing the collectability of this set? The box has shelf wear, in good shape overall but nothing worth sending to get graded at AFA. Everything is MISB.

Thoughts?
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
elburrito
Animated
Re: Collectability vs Preservation with respect to Batteries

If it is MISB, just opening the box will lower the value I think. Leaky batteries are not the rule. Store OP somewhere cool and dry and he'll probably be okay for years. If you do open him, there's a battery in the chest too.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
If it is MISB, just opening the box will lower the value I think. Leaky batteries are not the rule. Store OP somewhere cool and dry and he'll probably be okay for years. If you do open him, there's a battery in the chest too.
Battery in the chest? I thought the OP was referring to this based on what I read
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimus Prime 25th Annivesary (1).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	30753  
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
timcrook
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Battery in the chest? I thought the OP was referring to this based on what I read
There is a battery in the chest as well. It lights up the matrix.

Edit: wait, is this 25th anniversary optimus the mp1 optimus?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
elburrito
Animated

Oops, Wervenom is right, I was thinking of the 20th Anniversary OP.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 11-01-2015 at 11:44 AM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
ChaosTheory
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Yes, this is the set I'm referring to.

I'm concerned as I recently brought out another toy that I had stored in a cool dry place for less than two years and the batteries discharged and now electronics no longer work.

Maybe damage is already done in the 25th set? Prob just leave it sealed.

If 'you' were after this set, would you care more about it being MISB, or that electronics in that badge/voice box work?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

IMO MISB is a plus but given electronics involved I would like to have it MIB with working electronics. Now having said that with this set you can obviously test the electronics through the "window" assuming batteries were good but for something sealed the you could never check I can live with complete MIB if that helps
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
CanBot
Cybertron

This topic comes up from time to time. For myself, a lot of my collection was once Leader moviebots, and every one had batteries in them. They were all MISB for the most part. I had originally planned to open and display them, but then for some reason I just kept them in the box. Years past, and I'd always get worried about battery leakage.

Here's my take, and from the research I've done on the bigger discussions (as well as toy collector sites in general):

If you are collecting these toys as MISB specimens, and that is the purpose of your collection, then I would not open them. While most MISB collectors out there DO care about the toy getting damaged, their criteria for MISB means that they value the seal more than they do the condition of the toy inside, with regards to battery leakage. These batteries WILL leak, but as a MISB collector, that is secondary to the seal.

I wrangled over the decision for years, honestly. Then I just up and sold them all on ebay a few months ago. The seal affects resale, that's for sure. But I was lucky: almost all of mine still had the battery working. I've seen cases where you get leakage, even though the battery still works, but I was lucky. I would open them if I saw the 'try me' gimmick quit working.

So really, it's up to you. These toys are going to be worth something someday, as I have learned from my ebay sales. I only held on to some stuff for a few years, yet the demand is such that people are willing to pay good cash. So in that regard, I'm glad I kept them sealed. My collection changed focus, mostly.

But if your plan is to enjoy the toys (IMO, the best option), just open them, keep all the bits and such (box, plastic inserts, all that stuff), display the bot and store the box. CIB, while not on the level of MISB, will give you a good return should you choose to sell down the road. Or you could just open them, display them, chuck the box and sell them loose, too.

If I still had mine, I would value the functionality of the toy vs the MISB status: with an Xacto blade and some patience, you can actually do a very good job removing the toy from the packaging enough to access the battery hatch. Remove the batteries, seal them in a baggie, hide it in the packaging somewhere, and box it all back up. I would definitely pay more money for that in 20 years than I would for a MISB that I knew has ruined electronics (or maybe worse) from two leaking AA batteries. It's a pain in the ass to do, but can be done.

I had the same Prime set you're talking about, and some six years later, the original battery still works great. My nephew now has it, and although he doesn't use it a lot, I fire it up and there's no problem.

It's a big decision for collectors, and I know how it feels to weight the options. Honestly?...selling them was the best route, and let someone else figure it out I knew I wasn't going to display them like my MP collection. Ask yourself: are you keeping the set so you can sell it later? MISB will, oddly, be the best choice. Do you want to keep it for yourself, but keep the integrity of the electronics? Open, remove and reseal. It's ultimately up to you. The problem is if you open now, but in a few years decide to sell. Then you kick yourself in the ass, but the window on a lot of these toys as MISB from six or seven years ago is closing in terms of leakage. They WILL leak, and it won't be pretty. I almost ruined one of my Guitar Hero controllers from that, and it taught me a lesson.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #9
ChaosTheory
Generation 2

Some good food for thought here, thanks for the input so far!

And it's funny you mention a ruined guitar hero guitar, as that's EXACTLY what sparked this thought for me as this past week I discovered one of the guitars I had stored has been ruined due to battery discharge.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
CAF
Banned

If the intent is to leave in in the package for all eternity, I would think the battery issue is moot?
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote