Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Uberman
Energon
Question about casting parts

Hey, to those of you who make molds and do castings and stuff, are there any recommendations for someone starting out? I'm mostly interested in making simple things, a few blasters and rifles to give gunless robots [basic ones like Perceptor's, maybe Universe Dropshot's] and maybe a bit of a more complicated side project I'd be interested in perusing.

Any help or advice [input on how difficult it is and what sort of time and materials are needed] would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: Question about casting parts

You can get fairly cheap "starter kits" from a local hobby shop. I have played with the Alumite (sp?) kits with hit and miss luck so far. However, it is a cheap investment to get started with.

I'm struggling with making a decent form to work off of... and when I do get a good form, I run into the air bubble issue. Overall, it is a learning curve and I think you need to spend the time working on it to get it perfected.

I'd love to hear from the experts on this topic as well.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I just purchased the Alumilite Mini Casting kit and it has worked out pretty good so far. I do get some very small bubbles but from what I've read that happens unless you use a vacuum chamber.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
jourdo

Are you doing one piece or 2 part molds?

I'm trying to learn the 2 part method, and this is where I'm running into my issues.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Uberman
Energon

What kind of impact does making a cast have on the original? I don't want to wreck anything in the process, but I've thought of a few more things that could be great to make duplicates of for whatever reason [Drift's sword, for example, in a non-floppy material].
Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
jourdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
What kind of impact does making a cast have on the original? I don't want to wreck anything in the process, but I've thought of a few more things that could be great to make duplicates of for whatever reason [Drift's sword, for example, in a non-floppy material].
Nothing major. I've used it on a custom head and TFcon's Powered Commander parts and had no issues with either.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Putting your mold on some form of agitator like a washing machine may help to remove some of those bubbles.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I'm just doing 1 piece molds for now, I did see a video on how to make a 2 part mold. If I find it I'll post the link.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
Putting your mold on some form of agitator like a washing machine may help to remove some of those bubbles.
Yes, this helps. I've seen one made out of a vibrating electronic back massager and some plywood, the vibrations bring the bubbles up to the top of the mold where hopefully you've included some open resevoirs so the bubbles can come to the top and burst.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
justprime
Animated

If you are in the to area contact sculpter supply canada talk to terry,....they carry all supplies to do castings, carving etc plus books and also do classes, aluminite is far to expensive I have found and is a poor resin,..myself I use smooth cast products,... various resins that will pour with little to no bubbles various shear strenght with flexable or semi flexable , metalic etc resins and various pot time's etc they carry a number of different resins and molding products (silicon, latex, etc) to suit your needs and a friendly knowlegable staff always ready to help with questions .they will also do mail order for those out of town.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote