Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #31
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models
Re: The Hunt: Love it or Hate it?

It doesn't help that Covid has limited me to online (hooray for Toys R Notinstock dot com!) and the WalMart nearest me when I get some groceries and staples there. And that WalMart stocks NOTHING. Every time I've been in there the stock is unchanged. For like 2 months now. And the stuff other people see at WalMarts in Ontario? DoubleDealer? Earthrise Rung and Slither Fang? NOPE.

The only things that appear on those shelves are random older items like "suddenly here are 2 Grapples that weren't here last time".

I don't even bother driving down to Kitchener TRU as I've struck out there ao many times it is pointless. And the occasional non-sighting report from fellow KWers there just reinforces how pointless it is.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #32
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

All my shopping is online now. This year I try to get preorders as much as I can. I can't drop by the TRU or WM stores anymore, which was my usual strategy, but even then I admit it wasn't that great. I'm refreshing all the online store webpages way too often in a day. I know I'll be able to find everything if I'm just patient enough and worst case there's the secondary market, but the feeling of uncertainty is giving me some low-level anxiety about missing items on my personal list.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
And at the same time I'll have high hopes that TFCon comes back, because that is far and away the most fun way to buy TFs!
This exactly. TFCon surely brings the most joy to purchasing Transformers, at least in my opinion. Maybe it’s the people who share the love for the brand, or maybe the incredible amount of stuff available. Maybe it’s both, but it’s certainly the most fun and enjoyable.

Like others have said, the hunt for me has certainly changed and not for the better. I’ve made less frequent visits to my local TRU and Walmart, which are right next to each other and within walking distance from my house. It really has become a “well if you’re right there, they why not?” more than a “let me plan my afternoon to hit up both stores”. Yet I find myself looking at mostly the same things each time I visit. I say mostly because there is sometimes a new figure or two, but that’s likely a result of the minimal amount of visits giving way to the inevitable infusion of at least something new.

The sad part is even if/when I find something new or something I like, I hit a crossroads. Is it on sale or not? I check and if it isn’t on sale, I don’t get it. It’s not that I have a rule of only getting figures on sale, but really throughout all of my collecting life, 95% of my collection that I bought myself was on sale. I literally rarely, and I mean rarely, buy regular price. So I guess this price hike didn’t do me any favors either.

But if it does happen to be on sale, then I’m more likely to take it home. But as a few members have said, the sales are not big ones anymore and they’ve become rare. There seems to only be 25% off or buy 1 get 1 50% off (which is just another way of saying 25% off). Sometimes the occasional all Transformers over/under X price.

Sadly the hunt hasn’t been the same in the last few years. I haven’t even been collecting for as long as other members (started in late 2013) and I can say that things aren’t the same. I wasn’t a part of the gang who lost Zellers and Sears although I do have a small memory of them when I was young. I also have the memory of picking up Age of Extinction Deluxes for $12.xx or hunting for Generations goodies for mostly 30$ and under. Oh the good old days.

On a final note, I haven’t bought much online but mostly because it’s either marked up over regular price or I just haven’t really looked that much.

Hope you enjoyed my little rant.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page

Last edited by MahtimusPrime09; 12-18-2020 at 04:52 PM.
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #34
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Finding affirmation and selfworth in hunting for joys is a troubling condition.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote