Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Jefro
Robot in Disguise
Verification Help

As per the title, I need some help verifying which Optimus Prime this Roller would have came from ?

In the pictures I initially thought it was an original 84 Grey Roller but when I actually got it I noticed the hole up top and pegs for wheels etc were still Blue. So I figured it was painted and painted well. But it will not scratch or chip and if it was painted why wouldn't they have done the whole thing.

Now I know the Commemorative Series Prime also had a Grey Roller so did those come like this ? Or did did some of the actually G1's have Blue left on them ?

Last edited by Jefro; 10-31-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
OneShallFall
FoxtrotUnicornCharlieKilo
Re: Verification Help

I cannot speak for the commerative series Prime,but my G1s roller is grey in the hole and on the pegs.Doesnt appear to be paint either.Seems like grey plastic,but I am not gonna give it a scratch to find out.Hope I helped a little.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Jefro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShallFall View Post
I cannot speak for the commerative series Prime,but my G1s roller is grey in the hole and on the pegs.Doesnt appear to be paint either.Seems like grey plastic,but I am not gonna give it a scratch to find out.Hope I helped a little.
I know the original 84 Grey Roller was actually Grey Plastic and 100% grey etc...

This Roller does appear to be of a Blue Mold but was then painted Silver. Thing is the paint job is pretty damn good and you literally have to bash something off it in order to remove any paint. And as mentioned before I doubt someone painted it themselves because its to good of a job and why would they skip the pegs and top hole ?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Jefro
Robot in Disguise

Okay... picked up a MISB TRU Commemorative Reissue Optimus Prime and noticed I could see the roller throu the window and sure enough the ends are blue just like the picture above.

So this roller is obviously from the TRU Reissue. But its still strange that they molded it in blue only to paint it grey but left spots blue unless its their way to make them different from one another.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro View Post
Okay... picked up a MISB TRU Commemorative Reissue Optimus Prime and noticed I could see the roller throu the window and sure enough the ends are blue just like the picture above.

So this roller is obviously from the TRU Reissue. But its still strange that they molded it in blue only to paint it grey but left spots blue unless its their way to make them different from one another.
Or more than likely different from the original, so that someone couldn't pass off the re-issue as a vintage Optimus Prime. If I had to guess, that's why they were painted instead of cast in the grey plastic. Of course this is just a hypothesis.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Richter
Nexus Maximus

I'm gunna guess they likely wanted a grey roller and had a whack of blue ones around from previous reissues so they painted them.

I don't think Hasbro cares much about distinguishing releases for the benefit of collectors. They only care about making money.

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

It's probably due to the way the mold was set up, maybe roller is molded together with other pieces that had to be blue so they had to pain him if they wanted a grey one.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
Wheelie
Riding on Grimlocks back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter View Post
I'm gunna guess they likely wanted a grey roller and had a whack of blue ones around from previous reissues so they painted them.

I don't think Hasbro cares much about distinguishing releases for the benefit of collectors. They only care about making money.
I'm with Richter on this one.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
Sokar
Armada

I think it's encore prime.

It looks like it matches up pretty much with the one in this review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXUmkdxKgo