Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
herooftheday316
Energon
TFCon 2013 and my paradigm shift

Toys. For the 2 years prior, that was my sole motivation for driving down to Toronto from Montreal for TFCon.

This year was very different.

When I first started attending in 2011, I had come to the con completely alone with the only goal being to buy as much as I could afford. I was introduced to a few people as the Con went on, mostly though purchases that I had made with board members. As I slowly met more and more people I realized that there some very interesting people in our community. That year I met Walter (CobraCommander), Ken (Big Filipino), John (Bruticus82) and Newt (FreedomGundam). I also had the chance to meet up with a local I had sold something to once, Nick (Nicoath).

During my second con, I was able to come down with 2 friends that I had become closer with over the last year. I came down with Nick and Charlie (Vain). Together we make up 3 / 4 of a small group of people who gets together about every 2-3 months to talk over the news and what we have seen (the other, SMOG was unable to come down). All 3 of us were so focused on toys that we did little else. We all had a great time and I spent nearly 1000$ which was roughly about the same as I had spent the year before. What I couldn’t quantify however were the new friendships I was making. It had gone far beyond the chatter that happens during a simple sale. Some more people were added to my list of friends. Jonas (CannabisPrime), Brice (Brr-icy), Chris (GMFan), Wendel (JawzD), Daniel (Protoman), EchoTransformer amongst others.

2013 was the year I realized that as much as I love the toys and characters, the real love I feel from transformers is sharing them, my thoughts about them and my love for the series with people. This year I spent a total of 50$ on toys and I can say that I truly have never had a better time at TFCon. It felt like a family reunion that had Transformers as a back drop. The best part was that the family keeps growing. This year I was able to meet so many genuinely nice people. Jessy, Eric, Rocky, Scott and Nick just to name a few. Many of these are real friendships and often the topics transcended our original common passion. I had such a good time just talking to people about transformers that the toys dropped from my first priority to a fun distraction. This is what community is about. This is what is beautiful about the theories of fandom, religion, patriotism, etc. These things should always be seen as a way to bring people together for their similarities and not as a means to separate them for their differences.

I have to admit one of my highlights was James Roberts. It has been said many times before but if you are not reading the new comics MTMTE especially and you are AT ALL interested in Transformers fiction, you are missing out BIG time. He was so kind and completely down to earth. He is a real fan who is living his dream and who seems to be humbled by any sort of praise.

The passion we all have for transformers is beautiful. From the cos-players who spend hours devoted to their characters, to the organizers and volunteers who spent their free time to make this all possible, to the guests who take the time to thank the fandom that keeps their characters alive… These are truly the things that make this a convention I will always attend (God willing).

Like anything else everyone has their opinion about decisions. We all get upset and frustrated sometimes about the direction things are going for our beloved Transformers. We know that Hasbro and Takara are not perfect but I do really believe they are trying to do things for us (it is after all, in their best interests). Always remember this brand is much stronger than any single decision or toy.

In 2013, I may not have purchased as many toys as in the past but I wasn't disappointed in the least. The people I have met over the years of being a fan have filled my heart in a way that no masterpiece figure could. Remember that it isn't all about toys; it's equal parts passion, love and community as well…..but they are PRETTY damn cool!

-Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Swalloweddark
Generation 2
Re: TFCon 2013 and my paradigm shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by herooftheday316 View Post
Toys. For the 2 years prior, that was my sole motivation for driving down to Toronto from Montreal for TFCon.

This year was very different.

When I first started attending in 2011, I had come to the con completely alone with the only goal being to buy as much as I could afford. I was introduced to a few people as the Con went on, mostly though purchases that I had made with board members. As I slowly met more and more people I realized that there some very interesting people in our community. That year I met Walter (CobraCommander), Ken (Big Filipino), John (Bruticus82) and Newt (FreedomGundam). I also had the chance to meet up with a local I had sold something to once, Nick (Nicoath).

During my second con, I was able to come down with 2 friends that I had become closer with over the last year. I came down with Nick and Charlie (Vain). Together we make up 3 / 4 of a small group of people who gets together about every 2-3 months to talk over the news and what we have seen (the other, SMOG was unable to come down). All 3 of us were so focused on toys that we did little else. We all had a great time and I spent nearly 1000$ which was roughly about the same as I had spent the year before. What I couldn’t quantify however were the new friendships I was making. It had gone far beyond the chatter that happens during a simple sale. Some more people were added to my list of friends. Jonas (CannabisPrime), Brice (Brr-icy), Chris (GMFan), Wendel (JawzD), Daniel (Protoman), EchoTransformer amongst others.

2013 was the year I realized that as much as I love the toys and characters, the real love I feel from transformers is sharing them, my thoughts about them and my love for the series with people. This year I spent a total of 50$ on toys and I can say that I truly have never had a better time at TFCon. It felt like a family reunion that had Transformers as a back drop. The best part was that the family keeps growing. This year I was able to meet so many genuinely nice people. Jessy, Eric, Rocky, Scott and Nick just to name a few. Many of these are real friendships and often the topics transcended our original common passion. I had such a good time just talking to people about transformers that the toys dropped from my first priority to a fun distraction. This is what community is about. This is what is beautiful about the theories of fandom, religion, patriotism, etc. These things should always be seen as a way to bring people together for their similarities and not as a means to separate them for their differences.

I have to admit one of my highlights was James Roberts. It has been said many times before but if you are not reading the new comics MTMTE especially and you are AT ALL interested in Transformers fiction, you are missing out BIG time. He was so kind and completely down to earth. He is a real fan who is living his dream and who seems to be humbled by any sort of praise.

The passion we all have for transformers is beautiful. From the cos-players who spend hours devoted to their characters, to the organizers and volunteers who spent their free time to make this all possible, to the guests who take the time to thank the fandom that keeps their characters alive… These are truly the things that make this a convention I will always attend (God willing).

Like anything else everyone has their opinion about decisions. We all get upset and frustrated sometimes about the direction things are going for our beloved Transformers. We know that Hasbro and Takara are not perfect but I do really believe they are trying to do things for us (it is after all, in their best interests). Always remember this brand is much stronger than any single decision or toy.

In 2013, I may not have purchased as many toys as in the past but I wasn't disappointed in the least. The people I have met over the years of being a fan have filled my heart in a way that no masterpiece figure could. Remember that it isn't all about toys; it's equal parts passion, love and community as well…..but they are PRETTY damn cool!

-Mike

Aw. I read your post and as an avid con-goer this is what Cons are all about not matter if its a comic con, Anime Con, Toy Con, TF con etc. but just being in a community of people and meeting new and old friends again. It bring people together. Its not about the costumes or how many stuff is in the dealers room or what you get its just about having fun and getting the opportunity to ejoy seeing the VA's, access to TF merch and seeing the brilliant cosplays.

I didn't purchase alot either like I did last year. The only thing I bought form a dealer was A Reveal the shield Jazz. Yup. Thats it over 2 days. I spent most of my money supporting the artists because you know what, you can't find those in store. and because things were hand made they are unique and exclusive only to those that buy them.

I never go to cons to buy stuff or just to show off a cosplay. I just got to have fun and meet people, see old friends because cons are the only time when you see them especially when they come from across the world or down south.

Keep con-going :]!
Swalloweddark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

This is what I enjoy about TFCon more so then some of the bigger cons I've been too.

The atmosphere feels totally different compared to them, much more relaxed.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

this year, i didn't have anything to really get in the dealer room that wasn't pre-arranged, but still got a couple things (mainly from slayback ) the main point of this year was getting to see friends for me, and bring a new collector into the mix.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
nicoath
Underbase caretaker

Well stated Mike, not much more to add to this. TFcon is definitely much more than just the toys.

Nick
nicoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Well said mate, it was a lot of fun going down and jammin' with friends,both new and old. It was and always will be a great weekend to unwind.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Mike, Nick, Charlie, you three will always be the "Montreal crew" to me, and I look forward to seeing you guys every year.

I agree that your first few TFCons, you're overwhelmed by the dealer room, all the things you want, all the toys you've never seen. But as time goes on, it becomes more about hanging out with the people you know from the boards, and less about the dealer room.

Hey Vain, remember that next year you owe me a drink at the bar!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Hey Vain, remember that next year you owe me a drink at the bar!
Forget the Drink, Pitcher's on me!

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Big Filipino
Protectobot

Well said my friend.....well said.
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
nicoath
Underbase caretaker

^
But TFcon would not be the same without Ken! He's like Santa in July

@Bruticus82: thanks buddy, right back at you!
nicoath is offline   Reply With Quote