Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
herooftheday316
Energon
Which Beast Wars toy do you wish...

Good day gents,

Been spending the morning doing some transforming and I had a thought while transforming some of my Beast Wars toys.

Which toy of a non-show character do you wish had made it into the series?

With so many non-show characters with cool designs, I was just curious.

Mine, and the reason for the question is Manterror. I love the preying mantis and that snicker is too sinister!

-Mike
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Which Beast Wars toy do you wish...

Terrible question....there were so many great non-show molds/characters that would have been awesome to have in the show, you can't just pick one! :P

A childhood favourite of mine, Wolfang for one...who would have been on the show if CG wasn't so expensive, so Tigatron was used instead...

Also had/have a soft spot for Cybershark and Razorclaw but both would have eventually been replaced with Depthcharge and Rampage (never noticed till now 2 G1 Pred names went to crabs...odd)

Manterror...yes...that toy was great. Fucker shot discs clear across a room. If that isn't cool I dunno what is...

As a kid I thought it would have been awesome to also have Magnaboss and Tripredacus show up too. CG animal combiners? Yes please.

Course the IDW comics for Beast Wars don't help...that made Torca bad ass, and Magmatron awesome....GAH...I could go on forever....

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
sikkbones
Banned

The ultra Magnus primal name escapes me... hyperlinq maybe.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Crobot91
Metroplex

Razorbeast
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Aside from what Chris said, Polar Claw, Jawbreaker, TM2 Prowl, etc.

It also would have been interesting to see perhaps a "What If..." episode where some of the characters who didn't get Transmetal bodies did, and vica versa. Like, what if Terrorsaur and Scorponok didn't die. Instead, they survived, got TM bodies and Megatron didn't. Would create an interesting dynamic there since TMs are more powerful than regular guys. Terrorsaur, being the traitor, would finally have the power to off Megatron without being juiced up on unstable Energon. But Scorponok, who was Megatron's bodyguard in the show, would have the power to prevent Terrorsaur from overthrowing him. Plus there'd be the wildcard, TM Waspinator. Who's loyal to Megatron, but I could see Terrorsaur trying to convince him to team up with him.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
skrilla 88
Jackass!

B'BOOM!!! There are others, but B'boom is the grail...
skrilla 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

The answer to this question is both complex and simple, complex because of personal tastes and such, simple because it should be obvious from the get go.

All Of Them!!!

However, to narrow it down a bit we shall discuss a few that others have omitted.

Claw Jaw: A Maximal Squid who was PINK, he would have been an interesting character to see incorporated into the first season's dynamics simply because we never got anything under water until Season Three. And Aquatic Beast Wars characters were both quirky looking and fun.

Snapper: One of the all time coolest looking figures in the Basic size class, I mean this guy was a combination Slash from TMNT and a Transformer. What's not to love about him? Plus if memory serves his bio hinted at piratical nature, just avoid stereotyping him and he could have been a great wild card to throw in.

Insecticon: Personal fav of mine, nothing more.

Jetstorm & Retrax: While I was collecting the BW Era figures, during retail days of time long past, I always went for the non-show characters because of how cool they looked and how fun their bios made them out to be. (Also it was difficult to find Tarantulas, Waspinator and Black Arachnia after a while.) This terrifying looking duo of Predacons were made into Cybertrons for Beast Wars II in Japan by Takara and called the Insectrons... Or something to that effect.

But their Predacon counterparts from across the sea were much more evil looking and would have been great foils for some of the on-show and non-show characters.

Plus, throw in Manterror and you would have had the unholy trio of doom, with one dude (Retrax) who enjoyed making homes and traps in numerous tunnels and filling them with the body parts of deactivated Transformers. Another dude (Jetstorm) who could almost be like a ninja in the way he was portrayed in his bio (if memory serves) and the third member (Manterror) being the over-the top villain who constantly refers to himself as The Manterror (Like some kind of Predacon Wrestler or something.) Even his bio started off with the line The Manterror blah, blah, blah.

Transquito: This dude got a lot of flack back in the day, he was a non-show shelfwarming monstrosity who couldn't be given away for the kiddies or fans alike. Unless you happened to dig his look, and I did in fact do just that. Transquito was a terrifying menace capable of driving his enemies insane by just biting them. Plus who didn't want to see a ten foot long Mosquito flying around on the show?

Powerpinch & Drill Bit: More insect based characters might have made things a tad one-sided when it came to the six legged menaces, but most of the first two years worth of non-show Predacons involved insect based beast modes. And an army of insects swarming the Maximal base would have been awesome fun to watch. (Even if they killed them off after a major three-part epic or something.)

Bonecrusher: Mainframe could more than do better using this character compared to what Takara gave us in Bighorn from BW II.

Noctorro, Air Hammer & Bantor: These three quirky looking fuzors would have been fun to watch. Great looking robot modes, insanely awesome fuzed beast forms. What's not to love?

Sky Shadow, Buzzclaw, Terragator & Injector: While the Maximal Fuzors were quirky and fun, the Predacon one's had menace and danger added to their repertoir. (And had Injector been on the show maybe he wouldn't have pegwarmed so badly.)

I could go on, but I think we should leave it here for now. Besides I'm running low on characters that could be left off of this list.

Beast Wars was one of those cartoons that might have been funner with a bigger budget, a larger number of episodes per season and an extensive cast. But we may have sacrificed some of the poignant character moments in favor of G1 toyline catering syndrome had we gone that route. Still, it's fun to imagine what if.

I kind of wish that IDW would attempt a new BW Comic series revival, that instead of tying itself to the old cartoon series, takes the characters and re-tells the story with more characters, and more emphasis on being less tied in to the typical Unicron/Energoise story arc.

I really think BW Would lend itself well to a re-telling in comic form, perhaps involving the original show creators who could take the series in a much broader direction.

Introduce the new characters at a much more reasonable pace.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Hrrrmmm...

Razorbeast
Cybershark (The Orginal one)
Torca
Old 09-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

hahahah yes. Snapper would've been hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

Would Killerpunch count, if so then him.

After that I would have to go with Polar Claw or Torca
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote