Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #31
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: My frustration with Micro Changers (KRE-o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ive got all 4 combiners and the 5th members as well, i cut off the front of all the vests! They look so much better.
What did you cut with, a dremel?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I just used a nice sharp pair of scissors. You just cut right in the "^" angle. That way you don't risk cutting too much off.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #33
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Ran into a preview wave box today. With a backup Spinister I cut a vest. I must've done something wrong. Pretty straight cut but the cut edge is just white and rough. I switched to the spare rotor vest. =\

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #34
Shockwave 75

Try running it under a hair dryer for a few minutes. That usually takes away stress marks, maybe it will work for this too.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #35
Hellboy
Alternator

They should just put a single "peg" holder in the moulds for the backs of each torso. It would eliminate any need for a vest other than when something is required on the front.

The Kreo is plagued with QC issues. Missing parts, stress fractures on all the wrists and even half-melted pieces that obviously didn't pull from the mould properly. They don't hold like Lego and it feels cheap. It's not a good product but it's cheap enough to pick up (especially on clearance). Since Hasbro has simply ripped off Lego I keep waiting for Lego to make all the proper vehicles for their "City" line so that I can start making Lego combiners like Devastator. I see they already have a few "Triple Changers" in their Lego Creator line and one is very similar to Bulkhead in colour and bot mode.

It's only a matter of time....
Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
They should just put a single "peg" holder in the moulds for the backs of each torso. It would eliminate any need for a vest other than when something is required on the front.

The Kreo is plagued with QC issues. Missing parts, stress fractures on all the wrists and even half-melted pieces that obviously didn't pull from the mould properly. They don't hold like Lego and it feels cheap. It's not a good product but it's cheap enough to pick up (especially on clearance). Since Hasbro has simply ripped off Lego I keep waiting for Lego to make all the proper vehicles for their "City" line so that I can start making Lego combiners like Devastator. I see they already have a few "Triple Changers" in their Lego Creator line and one is very similar to Bulkhead in colour and bot mode.

Missing Parts: To date I have only suffered one Kreon missing a part, one of the Vehicons from one of the Decepticon Ambush sets I bought was missing his head. None of the other Kreons have been missing anything.

Stress Fractures on all the Wrists: Admittedly there are a lot of Kreons with stress marks around the wrists, the only one that has actually fractured has been Megatron. This has nothing to do with the design of the Kreon in general, I believe it is more to do with the fact that the plastic consistency used in these particular areas are quite thin, and since a machine which has been regulated to a certain PSI is probably responsible for placing the hands into the arm sockets, any missallignement or cost cutting measures to ensure speedier production can cause problems, because a machine will push the hands into the arm sockets in quite a bit more forcefully than a person. (Provided of course a machine is actually responsible for this step of the production process. If it isn't the case I'd love to know how those factor workers could be stressing them all out that badly.)

Half-Melted Pieces that didn't pull from the mold properly: God that just sounds horrible, and to date I've only seen one culprit of this, my new Airachnid seems to have a piece like that. (Which is another reason why I'm interested in picking up an extra one.) Personally this is again a machine processing problem and not due to any other potential excuses. Someone at QC just missed it when it went through, these things have to be mass produced for a global market, the factories in China aren't regulated like LEGO Factories are, where care and quality assurance means that they take the time and effort to sift through every single piece to ensure proper quality.

Even LEGO isn't free of this vice though, as a few sets I've picked up over the years have suffered from cracking bricks and other pieces like small plates. They literally crack after being built into the model for a bit of while, my new City Park Cafe set is great, but one of the 1x1 Bricks has a crack in it, and it can't be from being too cold than heating up again.

Quite frankly I have not had any issues with my Kre-O sets. Although I will admit there are some pieces that tend to stress out a bit more than others, some of my transparent C-Clips broke when I dissassempled one of my Battleship sets for storage. Most unfortunate, but all-in-all Kre-O is a product on par with LEGO when it comes to quality of the bricks. They certainly don't feel as cheap as other knock off brands, such as Best Lock or Mega Blocks. (Hell I watched someone review a Best Lock Stargate set because I was curious about it and those bricks don't lock together at all, they had to use rubber cement to keep the model together.)

So Hasbro is in no way by far the worst offender when it comes to quality assurance for their products, we also have to remember that Kre-O as a brand name is currently where LEGO was at back in the late 70's early 80's, just starting out with only a few sets being made a year. They are still learning, I mean their last endevour with Brick Build toys was the Built-To-Rule line and those were utterly terrible compared to Kre-O. Give it time and I guarantee that Kre-O will correct these issues.

Already evidence points to the fact that they are trying to fix the issues of stressing on the figures. I'm not saying this as some staunch defender of Hasbro or anything, I'm merely saying this as a fan of both LEGO and Kre-O, and someone who can easily feel the similarity in the products quality compared to other similar clone brands.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

That mech creator does look cool. The mechs in ninjago, and that Lex Luthor mech are all solid. Lots of robots in legoland these days...

Nothing is as good as Lego. Kreo is not on par with LEGO. It is better than I expected. Kreo > MegaBlocks at least. I'm only collecting the minifigures now. The sets were okay. Though the GI Joe stuff looks pretty good.

@shockwave - dammit, I already tossed it in the trash. I might try again with a strong exacto knife instead of scissors. Give the hairdryer trick a shot.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #38
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Strong exacto knife with a fairly fresh blade and those vest fronts sliced off clean. A couple snips off the corners and they look like they came that way.

More complicated was drilling a tiny hole in Rampage's orange "back" slanted piece. In beast mode his sword now pegs of new there as a tail.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
Shockwave 75

That's what I've thought the Preds were lacking, Divebomb aside, were tails for their "beast modes".

I might try that.

Oh, and it bears repeating here, if anyone can help me get a Hook Kreon, I'd be much appreciative.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

New solution, thanks to Reprolabels, a start at least

http://www.reprolabels.com/kreon/k1.php
razin is offline   Reply With Quote