Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: Does anyone else hate this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
My example in question is the Maketoys Utopia I have for sale.

People keeping saying my MIB (never been played with or transformed) $350 US asking price is higher than a MISB they can buy online.

This is hilarious because I've been to every online store that sells him, including ebay and mine is cheaper than all of them.
Quote:
Hey Guys,
I accept paypal and Email Money Transfers, shipping is extra
Well, you say they may assume free shipping, but I can't help but notice that you don't offer free shipping either.

Right now, chimungmung is offering Dystopia (much better deco) for $300 + 75 shipping. That comes out to about the same once you get it shipped, but people expect to pay more for sealed items and less for ones that have been opened, like yours.

No, I don't hate this, because I've never had anyone write me to tell me they can get whatever misb cheaper still in stores, because I'm not selling open items while they're still in stores and asking almost the same as what the store wants. If you find this is happening so often that you need to vent it on the forum, then you probably have indeed set your asking price too high.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 03-01-2016 at 02:34 PM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
Well, you say they may assume free shipping, but I can't help but notice that you don't offer free shipping either.

Right now, chimungmung is offering Dystopia (much better deco) for $300 + 75 shipping. That's 25 more for a better looking item that has never actually been opened; people expect to pay more for sealed items and less for ones that have been opened.

I've never had anyone write me to tell me they can get whatever misb cheaper still in stores because I'm not selling in-stock items near retail value. If you find this is happening so often that you need to vent it on the forum, then you probably have indeed set your asking price too high.
I don't offer free shipping and in nearly every example I gave they don't either.

As for my price being near retail, it really isn't given the closest was BBTS and most of the others a good deal more money.

But again, that was why I asked. I don't hide the fact he's been opened. I'm very honest about it.

I also thought that in addition to being somewhat of me venting, it would be interesting to hear what others thought.

As for the Dystopia, yeah it's the same mold, but not the same character and most places selling him are asking way more than 300 US. Also, 75 shipping is a lot, then there's always the chance of duty on a large item coming from China.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
DanicusTF(cdn)
Armada

It's annoying, yes, but it's just a cheap bargaining tactic, to make you consider a lower price. However some members phrase it to make it sound more insulting than it is, whether or not their claims having any truth to it. It's happened to me several times as well. Just thank them for their interest and move on.
DanicusTF(cdn) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
elburrito
Animated

Based on your examples and my own look, I'd say your price is not unreasonable. But, what is the goal? Are you trying to compete with established online retailers? I'd guess you're not scalping the things. Your price is just that, your price. You can list for substantially more and (if you are patient) you'll eventually get it. I'd you are making a go of it for business, then you have to buy and sell fast. Otherwise, you have all the time in the world.

Also, if you are concerned about resale value, don't break the seal. It can be a big deal. That said, anyone who genuinely cares about MISB vs. MIB, wouldn't bother inquiring about an MIB toy in the first place.

You are bound to get all sorts of feedback and comments if you are selling stuff. My advice, match courtesy and wit for rcomplaint and rudeness.

Quote:
I get that, do you guys think my price is out of line? If it was you guys what do you guys think you would ask for it?

I'm just wondering because I've had two different people make an offer both I accepted their offers (which was less than my asking price) one on ebay and he never paid, and one on Facebook and he never paid. (There have been lots of offers, most plain just thinking I should give it away)

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post

No, I don't hate this, because I've never had anyone write me to tell me they can get whatever misb cheaper still in stores, because I'm not selling open items while they're still in stores and asking almost the same as what the store wants.
Well I can't say much for the particular item Utopia, I'm sure that many people have tried a similiar stunt on items that were not availble at retail for quite some time syaing they could still get if for much less and still sealed. On that general principle I would agree with Einstein. How readily available is Utopia?
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Zeusguy
Generation 2

I've had this happen before with an ebay auction AFTER the guy used the Buy it Now option. Gave me a real hard time about it, it was an unpleasant experience to say the least.
Zeusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusguy View Post
I've had this happen before with an ebay auction AFTER the guy used the Buy it Now option. Gave me a real hard time about it, it was an unpleasant experience to say the least.
I know, ebay is where I keep getting these "I can buy it cheaper MISB" messages...
Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #18
python
Alternator

I get them on both Ebay and locally on Kijiji. Much like another poster - I ask for a link. Provide it - and if it's legit I tend to duck to get the sale. No link - you're blowing smoke out of your ass and I am less likely to negotiate with you.

If you're a twat - I don't want your business or return business.

As to your second question - if I were in the market for a Utopia - I would want it sealed - unless picking up in person or I had done business with you before. If something just came out, it makes me twitch that there is a flaw. Why else would you open and want to sell it so soon after wanting it in your collection to spend an ass load of cash in the first place?

Based on your numbers though - I would be in the $300 plus shipping if I were to go after yours or similar. But I would be going after another Generations Metroplex before settling for third party.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
I get them on both Ebay and locally on Kijiji. Much like another poster - I ask for a link. Provide it - and if it's legit I tend to duck to get the sale. No link - you're blowing smoke out of your ass and I am less likely to negotiate with you.

If you're a twat - I don't want your business or return business.

As to your second question - if I were in the market for a Utopia - I would want it sealed - unless picking up in person or I had done business with you before. If something just came out, it makes me twitch that there is a flaw. Why else would you open and want to sell it so soon after wanting it in your collection to spend an ass load of cash in the first place?

Based on your numbers though - I would be in the $300 plus shipping if I were to go after yours or similar. But I would be going after another Generations Metroplex before settling for third party.
Like I said, if you could see the instructions you'd know why, LOL. I still haven't been able to combine my Fansproject Stunticons because of how complicated they are.

Edit* I should add, wife was also a bit upset I spent 450 bucks on it, lol.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #20
Pascal
Banned

I'm trying to sell a Macross VF-25F Renewal Valk on Ebay. Some guy makes me a lowball offer, I say no, he says he saw it for cheap elsewhere, I ask him where, I check: sure enough, it's the older version. Not sure if he was aware or just trying to find a way out without looking like an idiot...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote