Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #21
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69
Re: People Killed in the States on Black Friday

OMG, thats so sad, I cant believe people would walk over someone to save some money. Well Im not opening the doors at Walmart anytime soon.

CJ
Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

^^^
Sadly it happens all the time, it's pretty much how our Capitalistic society works. Big corps walk all over their retail employees in NA and the labor workers in 3rd World countries with poor wages and benefits. This way they keep costs low and keep their margins high and their stock holders happy. I don't want to get political or anything but the way I see our society; in order for you to win in life unfortunately someone else has to fail
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 11-29-2008 at 12:58 PM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
chans formers
raff ow roud

this story's so sad.my heart goes out to the family of the poor guy that got trampled.its nice to see where peoples priorities are.i hope the people who trampled this poor guy are at home now watching the story on their brand new 100 dollar off tv.was it worth it???????
Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Very sad story indeed. Sad truth is that people act just like animals in situations like this (large crowds) and will do things they otherwise would never consider. No different than stampeeding cattle, but in the end it's WM's responsibility to predict and plan accordingly for shit like this. This stuff should never happen in todays society.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

This disgusted me when I first heard about it. I know Walmart will be getting sued over this, and they deserve some punishment for allowing the circumstances for this to happen (there are ways to control a crowd). I also hope that every person who entered that Walmart at the time are charged with something. I seriously doubt that any convictions would happen, but at least make them sweat for a bit.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Incepticon
Double Agent

What makes the situation even more disgusting is that the store where this happened opened as normal once police cleared the scene a few hours later. Grieving co-workers were still expected to show up for their shifts, and the whole thing was swept under the rug so it could be another 'business as usual' day. So apparently Walmart, being the multi-gazillion dollar corporation that they are with their millions of stores around the planet, just could not afford to close the doors at one solitary location for a day after one of their employees didn't just die, but was killed. Pretty shocking.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #27
Magnimus
Alternator

Like I said to my coworkers when I read about the Wal-mart story. Can you imagine dying at Wal-Mart? Urggh.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #28
niteowl
Machine War

I have been in plenty of situations like this,
ie
phantom menace movie tickets,
boxing day,
wii release day,
ps3 release day,
halo 3 release day,
harry potter book release.
you get the idea.

i was actually pinned against a door,
and a picnic bench.
for star wars tickets.

when you are in the crowd
you do not always have a choice
where you are going.

the people infront cannot stop
because the people in are pushing so hard,

the people in the back have no idea,
what is happenning infront.

and when there is a commotion infront,
the people in the back push harder,
because they want to see what is happening.
niteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #29
Quantum
Uh-huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incepticon View Post
What makes the situation even more disgusting is that the store where this happened opened as normal once police cleared the scene a few hours later. Grieving co-workers were still expected to show up for their shifts, and the whole thing was swept under the rug so it could be another 'business as usual' day. So apparently Walmart, being the multi-gazillion dollar corporation that they are with their millions of stores around the planet, just could not afford to close the doors at one solitary location for a day after one of their employees didn't just die, but was killed. Pretty shocking.
One of the guys who works for me worked at Home Depot and the day of his orientation a co-worker fell off a ladder and died. The orientation was postponed by one hour. Brutal.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
tilallr1
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incepticon View Post
The thing is, when it comes to be getting trampled to death, the people actually doing the trampling often have no idea they're even stepping on someone due to being so caught up in the frenzied rush. I'm willing to be none of them had any idea it even happened until the scene cleared.

And hell yes, Walmart absolutely should be held accountable. If they can't maintain some sense of crowd control and have a proper game plan before opening the doors, then they should be held 100% liable. And they will be. Americans sue everyone for things like spilling hot coffee on themselves or slipping on a floor marked with a "Caution!" sign and somehow manage to win, so this most certainly won't be any exception. In fact, it's a rare instance where the payout will be totally justified.
Exactly. Walmart is to blame here people. Should have been better organized. It's not like this was the first death related to crazy crowds on Black Friday. Cannot blame the crowd, Walmart encouraged it to happen and did nothing to protect there employees. Am I supprised through? Not really. Its Walmart afterall.

See here another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSgBL7gpAk