Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-29-2023, 03:23 PM   #11
evenstaves
you renegade maverick
Re: Thoughts on new Retro G1 releases?

Reflecting on this, I’ll say that I never bought any of these recent WM exclusive G1 re-releases, full price in-store
I DID buy OP, Blaster & Soundwave, when I found them in TreasureHunt @ half price or better

Missed Devy & Scream when they popped in, and passed on HotRod cause I got the old Commemorative version (though I long sheared one of his thigh decals off, because ya)
And of course I barely saw the cassette packs in WM at all, so forget about any “not selling” and going to THunt

I remember just really hating the old G1 seeker sculpt, it stupid and million kibbles, and doesn’t even cool (where, say, G1 OmegaSupreme gets a pass despite being entirely kibble, because he’s super cool)

The new G1 re-release Hound? I’m not sure yet - maybe if I find him in THunt eventually, then ya - no attachment to the character, I’d rather get dat buzzworthy earthmode one already!
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #12
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

Even as a nostalgia enthusiast, I have to say that the G1 bots are bricks. The best part about those toys was the artwork on the boxes and the anticipation of opening them. The toys themselves... meh (even in 1985 I thought that they could do better, and I was a kid!).
So the reissues do nothing for me, personally. But you folks should enjoy them as you wish. I don't want to discourage anyone who loves the old-timey factor.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:22 PM   #13
Tiffster
Classic

Got Hound at $37 which was more reasonable. Toon colour is a nice twist differentiating them from G1.
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:16 PM   #14
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Had a Hound in my hands, and had similar issues. Liked what they were doing. Didn't like the price. And then, when I though about how I probably wasn't going to open it, because I still have my original incomplete G1, so I left it. Didn't see the point to the purchase.

IMHO, not much of a MISB display if it's just a picture. In addition, if I don't open it, I'll always be wondering if someone did a swap on the thing. Three years later, I open it and find a box full of Lebron James heads.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #15
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
For me, the worst part about the new packaging is the thinner cardstock material used. It is too easy to crush or tear the boxes.
Good point.

Lots of these boxes are bowing on the shelf.

It IS really cheap cardboard.

There's really no excuse for that.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:37 AM   #16
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

To be honest, they are nice to see but I have no interest in them. IF I were to get any, it would only be the one and it will never get made so I am safe since Megs can never be done in his OG toy form again.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:18 PM   #17
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Personally I really like the attempt at cartoon colours to differentiate them from previous releases. However the boxes and price don't do anything for me. I mean the art is nice, but the plastic/windowless boxes are terrible for me. I have kept all my reissue purchases over the years either MISB, or MIB (opened and displayed, but then back in the box to display). So this new format takes away that aspect for me.

THen add in the price.......I mean nearly $50????!!! C'mon man that is way too much, especially considering how often reissues go on sale/clearance.
Believe it or not, that's around the same price seekers were in 1984, when you add in inflation. They were just shy of the $20 mark back in the day, which is around $50, so the same price they are selling in stores today. And plus, back then there were little to no paint applications, compared to these new reissues having paint apps replace all stickers, and we have extra accessories that we didn't have in G1, like the Megatron gun accessort. So in terms of what we are getting, we are getting more for the same amount when compared to 1984.

I personally believe these are all great releases. I really love the colours on Hot Rod and I think having the painted detail rather than stickers, makes them very special. Having painted eyes on the seekers is a game changer.

What I really want though is more molds that were never rereleased, like G1 Hound. Was really glad to pick that up.

If you want to wait for a sale, I totally get it and I am doing that for some, but I still recomend getting them eventually at whatever price you are comfortable.

I 100% agree that the packaging sucks, but for me it just makes it easy to throw it away and not look back. Don't have space for boxes anyways.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 04-30-2023 at 11:22 PM.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #18
Skorpulator
Armada

For the fun of it, looking on Ebay for vintage boxes with price tags:

G1 Wreck-Gar: 13.97 USD
G1 Grapple: 15.17 USD
G1 Hot Rod: 9.97 USD
G1 Hot Spot: 10.98 USD
G1 Bombshell: 8.99 CND
G1 Mirage: 8.95 USD (on sale at 6.97 USD)

Last edited by Skorpulator; 05-01-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #19
Skorpulator
Armada

Got them all but Thundercracker so far. They're nice, but Hound seems to have a molding problem with one of his legs, as it's not straight in robot mode.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #20
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpulator View Post
For the fun of it, looking on Ebay for vintage boxes with price tags:

G1 Wreck-Gar: 13.97 USD
G1 Grapple: 15.17 USD
G1 Hot Rod: 9.97 USD
G1 Hot Spot: 10.98 USD
G1 Bombshell: 8.99 CND
G1 Mirage: 8.95 USD (on sale at 6.97 USD)
Here's the sears US catalogue if you want some more fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searstf1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	53498  
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote