Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: My daughter NEEDS a Cell Phone !

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you get UNLIMITED texting.

That's all teenagers do anyways, I wouldn't be so concerned about the talking.

Do you have KooDoo down east? Apparently that's a pretty good company for teenagers from what I've heard.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

my dad refused when I asked for N64 when I was her age. I asked I could get a job he refused as well. If I asked him for smart phone if it existed back then he'd laugh then get pissed off at me for not being smart about what I ask. The N64 didn't even have a plan nor contract.

I agree with Dark Rage and If you don't give in she'd be posting like me but instead about you being a good dad.

I got my cellphone at 60$ plus tax and I have 12$ + tax plan per month. That's 200 min with free nights and weekends. That's right after I talked to Fido. Brown man got his discount for 2 years with a contract. I know with the new law regarding about
to protect consumers against high fees, confusing contracts, I could have gotten the discounts without any contracts. My cellphone can also take prepaid after my contract is done.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

Wow, some great answers and advice, Thanks guys ! So, can I get a month by month plan that I can cancel or put on hold at any time if she were to go over the limit on the plan ? Or is there anyway possible the phone will just shut down if she reaches this limit ? The phone I was looking at is called the "Optimus One" from LG It was in a brochure I received in the mail yesterday, looks like a decent Android powered 3G smartphone with all kinds of features she would use, and it's only $199 with no contract, or $0 on a 3 year term. I paid that or more for her ipod touch last year ! The plan I described above is only $25/month, so not too bad. I just want to make sure I choose the best options in this situation so I don't get taken advantage of again, and of course, teach her some responsibility as well. Appreciate the comments !
CETERUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Deemar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETERUS PRIME View Post
Wow, some great answers and advice, Thanks guys ! So, can I get a month by month plan that I can cancel or put on hold at any time if she were to go over the limit on the plan ? Or is there anyway possible the phone will just shut down if she reaches this limit ? The phone I was looking at is called the "Optimus One" from LG It was in a brochure I received in the mail yesterday, looks like a decent Android powered 3G smartphone with all kinds of features she would use, and it's only $199 with no contract, or $0 on a 3 year term. I paid that or more for her ipod touch last year ! The plan I described above is only $25/month, so not too bad. I just want to make sure I choose the best options in this situation so I don't get taken advantage of again, and of course, teach her some responsibility as well. Appreciate the comments !
If she has a Touch, just sell it and get her an iPhone. It'll be cheaper and all you're really doing is adding phone abilities to a device she already owns.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Black Cat
Animated

There is a prepaid plan - I think with Virgin - that for $20/month, you get unlimited texting. My boyfriend has one simply because all we do is text each other.

You could try to hassle Bell like my mother has for my plan. Unlimited texting, free after 6pm, 200 min/month, and I don't know what else for about $20/month. But you gotta be really good at negotiating for that.

And there is no way a 14 year old needs a smartphone. I didn't get my first cellphone until I was 17 and it was prepaid. It's a good way for a child to prove to their parent(s) that they are responsible.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
If she has a Touch, just sell it and get her an iPhone. It'll be cheaper and all you're really doing is adding phone abilities to a device she already owns.
Ummmm, she doesn't have a cell phone or a plan. I just want something with the features she would use the most, like unlimited in and out texting and unlimited nationwide talk with her fav 5, and unlimited local night (6pm) and weekends. What's most important to me becasue she doesn't live here with me is having limitations on usage and not get into paying extra or any over and above fees.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Deemar
Banned

Quote:
Ummmm, she doesn't have a cell phone or a plan. I just want something with the features she would use the most, like unlimited in and out texting and unlimited nationwide talk with her fav 5, and unlimited local night (6pm) and weekends. What's most important to me becasue she doesn't live here with me is having limitations on usage and not get into paying extra or any over and above fees.
Right but if you get her another phone, she'll carry around that and the Touch. Why not get rid of one and combine the two into one device? It'll make things easier for her.

And though it's contradictory to every statement I've posted, I would be very reluctant about getting her a phone with a camera....which they all have now.
camera > bathroom mirror > boyfriend > internet
Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

I see what you're saying now. Only thing is the ipod touch was last year's Christmas gift, so I wouldn't even ask her to sell it, but I agree with what you said. It's too bad there are no service providers out there who offer limits on their plans, especially for teens, because I would have signed her up for one already, but then again, they wouldn't make any extra off the fools who go over their usage limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
Right but if you get her another phone, she'll carry around that and the Touch. Why not get rid of one and combine the two into one device? It'll make things easier for her.

And though it's contradictory to every statement I've posted, I would be very reluctant about getting her a phone with a camera....which they all have now.
camera > bathroom mirror > boyfriend > internet
Old 11-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
Deemar
Banned

Quote:
I see what you're saying now. Only thing is the ipod touch was last year's Christmas gift, so I wouldn't even ask her to sell it, but I agree with what you said. It's too bad there are no service providers out there who offer limits on their plans, especially for teens, because I would have signed her up for one already, but then again, they wouldn't make any extra off the fools who go over their usage limits.
Dude, if you tell her she can upgrade her Touch to the exact same thing except it's a phone, she'll be all over it. It looks identical so she won't say no.

And if you're that paranoid you could get her the LG Migo, it only has 4 buttons on it for pre-programmed numbers she can call! It's a phone Telus used to carry for small kids and parents can keep in touch with them. It also allows for GPS tracking so they can track their kids.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
let her eat up the card. she'd be lucky if you pay for it not with her allowance. actually, add a little bit more to her allowance to pay for half of her cost. I think 10-20 dollars a month should be fine.

when I was her age I had 7$ allowance per week... *waves cane*

I agree. When I was her age I PAID for my OWN cell phone. I bought it myself and everything. Let her eat up the card and let her pay for it herself. Then she will learn to not abuse the priviledge of having one. She will learn to use it when she needs it, not when her friends want her to.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote