Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime
XBox Kinect or PS3 Move ?

Ya gotta admit, gaming has come a lonnnnng way since back in the day when Atari was around. Yeah, I'm old HAHA ! I'm trying to decide on the XBox Kinect package or the PS3 Move package. I already have the PS3, got it last year from my girlfriend as my Christmas gift, so it makes sense cost wise to opt for the Move, but the fact that Kinect requires no controllers really has my attention. I can't see Sony releasing their version of this kind of gaming anytime soon after just releasing the Move, so waiting for Sony to release something like this is surely going to take a while. What do you guys/gals think ? Has anyone on here tried both ? What do you think are the pros and cons of each ? I read some reviews on the Kinect, and just about every review was positive. Haven't seen a lot of reviews on the Move, perhaps it's being eclipsed by Microsoft's latest and greatest

Write back with your thoughts, very interested in reading what you have to say

Last edited by CETERUS PRIME; 11-10-2010 at 08:42 PM.
CETERUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: XBox Kinect or PS3 Move ?

I think Nintendo has proven that they're still king.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

my favorite part about all of this is all the shitting on wii that microsoft and sony have done over the years only to release their own versions of it.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

it doesnt matter. none of that gimmicky stuff appeals to me. I mean If your going to mimic kicking a soccer ball into a net-go and actually do it. imagine 4 dudes kicking an imaginary soccer in front of a tv. lame nation. Id rather go outside and actually do it. Its just different than playing fifa or something similar where you use the ctrlr.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

Personally, i really like motion controls. When done right, they can really improve the experience. Metroid Prime 3's control scheme worked better for me than most FPS. Never been of a fan of the double control stick. I feel that the motion control has a lot to offer.

On that note, I think the Kinect is doomed. It's abilities are very limited. Now don't get me wrong, it's an incredible piece of technology that is supposed to work very well. However, an alone human body is simply limited. Kinect will allow you to play volleyball, dance, and wave your arms to allow for petting imaginary animals, but it can never be integrated into regular gaming. Two racing games have both come out and look terrible. How can you, with your body, steer, accelerate, break, and for interesting racers, shoot and slide, all with your body? Both games found ways around this, but in the end you end up losing the feeling of control (as they auto accelerate for you).

Or a first person shooter. With your hands you can point your finger like a gun, but the technology is limited from there. You can look around by moving your hand, but shooting, moving around, jumping all get a bit difficult to add into the mix.

The Playstation move is very similar to the wii, however the technology supposedly works better. Now don't forget, it came out 5 years after the wii, so it's not like Sony hasn't had time to one up Nintendo. In fact, if the move wasn't better than the wiimote in terms of functionality, i'd wonder what the hell they've been doing all this time. At this time, the playstaition move does NOT have any huge name games out for it right now, but that is supposed to change relatively soon. The lineup for the beginning of next year is supposed to be fairly decent.

My opinion is that if you really want a great motion control system NOW, get a wii. If you can wait for a bit, pick up the Playstation move sometime next year. If you want to play with a tiger and then never use motion controls again, get the kinect.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

My thoughts:

Get a Wii. Nintendo built a very popular console around the motion gaming industry; This is their thing. Both Sony and Microsoft are doing it as a side project and therefor will be nothing more than a fad for a few years and latter dropped.

Plus Nintendo is great at incorporating excellent Game titles like Mario and James Bond, while all Sony and Microsoft has is generic garbage.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Nullray
IGC

I bought the Move for my PS3. It seems ok but it doesn't have any titles that impress me. I got it with TW 2011. I still use my Dualshock. I saw a commercial for a new fitness item coming out. Can't remember the name. I tried to look it up at Futureshop with no success. Prolly an American commercial.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

From all the videos I've seen of the Kinect, it seems to be like Viva Pinata in that it's made to appeal to the casual crowds, but setting up and playing is kinda complicated and can be tedious. And with the Kinect, doesn't work all the time; especially the facial recognition. Kinect will have a fury of support at the beginning, but that will change when they start to get Wii style shovelware of mini game collections and a lot of dance games. Dance Central seems to work pretty well and is the shinning star of the launch titles, and you can bet there will be Dance Central clones in the works right now.

The Move on the other hand, is probably the best of the bunch because having a controller in your hand allows you to do more than the Kinect and builds on the Wii's (Sony, you damn copy cat! :3) established control scheme, but suffers from a few issues:

1) To be able to fully play some of the games you need 2 motion controllers (4 wands if it's 2 players) for games like that Gladiator or Archery mini game. And a sub controller to go with the motion controller (sure, you can use the dual shock as a replacement, but it's heavy, your hand will get tired and you will end up dropping it, IMO). And of course you need the PS Eye and a PS3 to go with it. That's a lot of coin to spend, if you want the full Move experience.

2) It's not the main controller and unless everyone who owns a PS3 gets a Move, devs. aren't going to make Move only games and take full advantage of what the Move can do.

3) Expect Wii ports and shovelware to clog up the shelves that no one will buy.

The Wii has a bunch of great game, but IMO only Red Steel 2 and the upcoming Zelda title are true motion games. The problem is if Nintendo and other devs. will continue to use the Motion+ add-on and have true motion games like advertised in the beginning. With that said, games like Kirby Epic Yarn and Mario Galaxy 2 looks like a lot of fun even though the most motion control you will get is waggle.

So, I think Move has the most potential, but IMO, I think you should wait and see what 2nd gen Kinect games are like, because most of the games out right now are proof of concept stuff. And ditto for the Move. Or get a Wii now and maybe one of the other 2 later. Or save your money and get a 3DS when that comes out because OMGZ that thing looks amazing!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #9
onecoin
Banned

Notes:

- The wii is dying, but its still a great system. Installed number is almost double Xbox or PS3 installed base, but its 3rd in weekly sales per console. The only games it has in top ten sales are the one bundled with hardware. And now if a Wii game cracks the top ten in weekly sales it is usually a game that does not rely on motion controls (ie New Super Mario). Despit the downward slope its worth the 200 dollar price tag, and I think you guys got a bundle with Mario and Sport Resort. That pretty much makes the system only 100 dollars and comes with 2 excellent games.

- The Move has the best chance at execution delivery. It is building on the success of the Wii gaming experience, but attempting to cross markets between casual and hardcore gamers.

- The Kinect has the greatest potential of all motion devices. It is a completely different type control system. The detection level is top notch, despite the lag in some games. It is a new technology with new possibilities in gaming. But potential is not execution.

I feel that the Kinect has better possibilities as a control system for application than as a gaming platform.

My advice. Get none... for now. The only worth while game between the two is Sports Champions. And you can decide if that is worth the 100 bucks. But for 150, the Kinect is a big investment in unseen potential.

Its just like buying a console, pick the games first, then pick the hardware. There is not enough there at present to justify either.

The Wii was well executed, in that the hardware was released with the "killer" app, Wii sports. And the Sports Resort bundle continues that tradition.

On this side of the ocean PS3 is king. Plus Kinect reqiuires 8 undisrupted feet of space between you and the tv. Clearly not designed for Japanese apartments.

Added: If sales are an indication, the reported numbers are 475000 Kinect sensors in 3 days. 470000 Move units in 4 weeks, 300000 in the first 10 days.

Last edited by onecoin; 11-11-2010 at 04:32 AM.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Playstation Move>Kinect

Wii=Paperweight
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote