Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime
Remolds....Better or Worse ???

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about remolds lately, for example and particularly, movie verse Optimus Prime. No doubt, everyone can agree that Leader class ROTF/Buster Prime has been the best version for the main man as far as accuracy is concerned, but what about the smaller class figures ? Every year, the manufacturers remold the characters, sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. We've had Voyager battle blades HFTD Optimus Prime, not bad, but not nearly as good as ROTF Leader Prime. Now with DOTM in full swing, we have DOTM Cyberverse Commander Prime, DOTM Deluxe class Prime, DOTM Voyager class Prime, DOTM Ultimate class Prime, and DOTM Jetwing Prime being the most accurate version in the DOTM series. My question is this : Why doesn't Hasbro/Takara just make a smaller scale version of ROTF Leader class Prime and add gimmicks and paint apps, or make slight changes like his new abs, and just go from there ? Is it due to the complex transformation process ? Or is it because they don't think the fans would be interested in a near identical, smaller scale version of their most popular characters ? Personally, I would much rather have accurate versions of each class figure. For me, none of the newest DOTM Prime figures look anything like Optimus Prime in the movies, except for the recent pics of Jetwing Prime, however, that figure still doesn't have the paint accuracy of Buster Prime. I just find it odd how many figures keep getting better, while Optimus Prime, one of their best selling figures, seems to be getting worse.

Last edited by CETERUS PRIME; 05-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
CETERUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Remolds....Better or Worse ???

I have to agree, especially cause of the ROTF line. I picked up the voyager Defender Prime, then the regular one (it was on sale), then the leader Class (since I found it for $25 and had the shadow command Megs leader. It wasn't until 2 days ago I bought the HFTD Battle blades vayoger only becuase he came with a matrix (and he was only $20). I think the HFTD voyager is way better than the first two ROTF voyagers. As for the DOTM version I will stick with the voyager class. I'm not sure yet I want a leader of him if and when he hits stores. Sometimes he gets better and sometime worse, but how many primes does one need. After I move I have to reevaluate my Primes. (and yes I know some people who have to have every version)
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Commandoclone87
Seeker

It's because Prime is a "I want that now or I'm gonna throw a tantrum and embarass you toy" to entice little kids to rob their parents blind.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
It's because Prime is a "I want that now or I'm gonna throw a tantrum and embarass you toy" to entice little kids to rob their parents blind.
Maybe, but it didn't work when I was a kid.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETERUS PRIME View Post
Why doesn't Hasbro/Takara just make a smaller scale version of ROTF Leader class Prime and add gimmicks and paint apps, or make slight changes like his new abs, and just go from there ?
HFTD Voyager Prime was basically this. The transformation is near identical as it can be made for a figure reduced in size that much, plus you have the added gimmickery of the matrix and the guns. The trade off is the structure of the toy becomes so weak that parts fall off if you so much as look at him the wrong way, like the hood panels on his arms and his truck cab that swings down to form the chest.

As for why Hasbro hasn't changed up the abs section and just re-released him again, I believe - and this is just my speculation - that they got so much flak from parents over how bloody impossible some of their figures were from the ROTF lines that they essentially had to "dumb down" their toys to appease parents and keep the base of their customers happy. Watching a six year old trying to transform ROTF Leader Prime or HFTD Voyager Prime is like watching a squirell attempt brain surgery. I think that's why some of the figures in the DOTM line seem to be simpler in nature, why the instruction sheets now use photography instead of line art and why we're getting absolutely flooded with Primes and Bees ensuring that there is a main character toy for even the most inept at transforming.

Still, I'm there with you in hopes that we could get a more perfected version of Prime. You'd think after this many attempts HasTak's designers would have the blueprints for a perfect Prime.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

...don't see what this has to do with remolding as changes to a class size require completely new molds....

But to answer your main question, it's mostly because all the little pieces involved in making the leader transform when scaled down would probably break and snap. That and scale size have part limitations and to make a smaller version of the leader class would require as many parts or slightly less parts is still over the part/material cap that the class size allows.

Even look at the scaled down Faith leader, using more or less the same parts that the larger MP version used when shrunken down is prone to cracking or breaks. Size of pieces determine their stress capacity and for some pieces once smaller can't stand up to the forces required for transformation, sockets may snap, gears may buckle.

The point is it's not easy and nearly impossible to shrink down something as complicated as a leader sized figure or a masterpiece as when they're initially designed they're designed for their class size and and changes to the class size requires a change in design so the toy doesn't just fall apart.

As others have said, the HFTD Battle Blades Voyager Optimus was more or less a scaled down version of the leader class figure but even he required extensive re-designing.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

OK, I see where you guys are coming from, but you'd think Hasbro and Takara would come a lot closer to making these latest versions of DOTM Prime look like the movie figure after several years now ! DOTM Voyager Prime looks nothing like Optimus Prime in bot mode, and neither does his Takara repaint. Ultimate Prime has wheels on his forearms and long skinny legs. The only way they look movie accurate is to display them in Truck mode. I just don't see how the designers can't come up with a better looking Optimus Prime after so many years experience, and still make the transformation simple. Aside from Optimus Prime and the failed DOTM figures IMO, take Ironhide for example and how he looks better and more accurate this year compared to previous year's molds. Both the Voyager and Leader class figures have improved, and this character surely won't sell as well as Optimus. The designers have obviously spent a lot of time and resources on Ironhide in this series. All in all, I was just expecting better molds this year, especially since we now have so many versions of Optimus Prime in every class.

Last edited by CETERUS PRIME; 05-18-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Here's an amuzing thing--taking a small design and making it larger...KOs do it all the time...Call me crazy, but I've actually yearned for a Voyager-sized Generations seeker mold.

Per the original topic--I really don't mind HasTak trying different approaches to characters both in different sizes (legend, dlx, voyager, leader) and different lines (Movie 1, ROTF, HFTD, DOTM)...just more choice for us.

I do mind tho when they go so nuts remolding/repainting that they miss cool characters...Animated had a few examples where I'd rather have the new mold be a new character rather than another Prime or Bumblebee...
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
CETERUS PRIME
Ancient Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Here's an amuzing thing--taking a small design and making it larger...KOs do it all the time...Call me crazy, but I've actually yearned for a Voyager-sized Generations seeker mold.

Per the original topic--I really don't mind HasTak trying different approaches to characters both in different sizes (legend, dlx, voyager, leader) and different lines (Movie 1, ROTF, HFTD, DOTM)...just more choice for us.

I do mind tho when they go so nuts remolding/repainting that they miss cool characters...Animated had a few examples where I'd rather have the new mold be a new character rather than another Prime or Bumblebee...
I like the fact that they've made several new classes of Optimus too, but the CGI hasn't changed hardly at all since the first movie, yet the figures are always changing, IMO for the worse this year when talking about OP. On the opposite side, BumbleBee has been looking more and more screen accurate in all classes, both bot and alt mode. Take a look at MV1 Ultimate Bee and compare that to Battle Ops Bee or DOTM Leader class Bee, or even HA Bee. DOTM Deluxe Prime and DOTM Voyager Prime look far from screen accurate in comparison and we're at the third installment of movies. I guess I just don't see it the same way as others do.

Last edited by CETERUS PRIME; 05-18-2011 at 11:37 PM.