Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #21
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models
Re: Why buy identical figures?

I forgot about troop building. I've only ever done that once - I bought like 8 G2 Hooligans back in the mid-1990s when Target (I lived in the USA at the time) was clearing them out for 99c each.

And there's a strange sense of awe I get when I look at the pics from that one guy over on TFW who has like 40 Deep Desert Leader Brawls. Crazy! But kinda awesome....
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

There are also Series Displays to consider. For example, Classics Soundwave and G1 Soundwave. One goes to your G1 shelf the other to your Classics shelf. (Universe SDCC Soundwave also belongs on the Classics Shelf and if I could get him I would, I could never have enough Soundwave's.)

Another example would be Universe Unicron and Armada Unicron. (Although personally I finally decided only to get Energon Black Unicron and forget about Universe Unicron for my Universe display.)

A lot of the reasons listed here make sense to some people. Others not so much. I used to have duplicates of certain molds from BM mainly the first case assortment of Basic Vehicons and Deluxe Thrust. I was thinking of troop building them, but decided against it.

Space issues limit the number of a given mold you can have.

G I Joe Collectors are notorious for Troop Building I used to have 10 DTC Range Vipers, Cobra Troopers and Crimson Guards 2 BAT Attack 6-Packs and any number of other Cobra Troop Builders. I sold off my entire Joe collection practically to conserve on space, but one day I'll probably buy up all the vintage 80's Joes and other choice items from the modern stuff to have a massive collection. And in order to balance it out, because quite frankly balancing is a big issue with me when it comes to forces of Good against forces of Evil I'll probably pick up multiples of some of the Cobra Troopers. (It'll be cheaper to get FunSkool Vintage Style Joes though than the genuine Hasbro stuff I'd wager.)

I can't imagine why they collect multiples of a given mold to have one permanently in robot mode and the other stuck forever in vehicle mode. The most fun about Transformers is the fact that they TRANSFORM. Why would anybody want more than one version of a mold and keep them all stuck in one single mode for the rest of their lives? It takes away from the fun of fiddling with the toys, playing with them, making that Chk-Chk-Chk sound and firing off missiles at each other.

But then again I'm a collector who has very little display room currently so I'm constantly rotating by series what I keep on display and they could go weeks without transforming, but eventually I'll get the urge to change'em all into alt mode.

Yeah... Anyway, Troop Building is something I can get behind in moderation, but some things are just plain crazy.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #23
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Why would anybody want more than one version of a mold and keep them all stuck in one single mode for the rest of their lives?
This.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
optimus scourge
Karma Dad
Send a message via Skype™ to optimus scourge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Ask that Transfan2 guy on tfans.com. Pretty sure he's an compulsive buyer, he buys multiples of each figure (like 3-4-5), then he buys some more later! And all he does is post his crazy daily hauls, he never participates in discussions or anything. Crazy, I'm telling you.
From what I understand, he is autistic and therefore can't communicate very well.

I've seen it for a long time, and my only guess is he feels he communicates well with pictures, seems to make him happy posting them...

I agree his hauls are always interesting, to say the least.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Pascal
Banned

I don't know, given how detailed are his latest haul posts, I doubt he has much problems to communicate. When it was time to talk about his G2 Stunticons, he was pretty talkative. I think his profile reads "has very generous parents" or something like that.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #26
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus scourge View Post
From what I understand, he is autistic and therefore can't communicate very well.

I've seen it for a long time, and my only guess is he feels he communicates well with pictures, seems to make him happy posting them...

I agree his hauls are always interesting, to say the least.

Makes perfect sense. Everyone expresses themselves in some way or another. Luckily he's found an awesome way to express himself.

I buy very few multiples of figures, even for troop building. Though if I had a ludicrous amount of money, I'd probably have Insecticons and Energon Terrorcons and Cybertron Scrapmetals swarming over furniture in a well stocked man-cave.

I don't think I would buy multiples to display in different modes, but I would probably buy multiples for ghestalts and any other sort of combiner. Why have just RiD Optimus Prime when I can have him displayed next to RiD Omega Prime?

Hmmmmm I changed my mind. If it were a ludicrous amount of money I'd probably buy one for each mode. and then an additional MIB or MOSC, and then one to use for parts or kitbashing or something.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #27
Phy
Machine War

There's one or two I wish I'd bought multiples of, just to have replacement parts for when pin swivel joints and such start to wear out. I did get a second BM Dlx Jetstorm, but I gave it to a guy who'd busted his.
Phy is offline   Reply With Quote