Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #11
Tonestar
Star Seeker
Re: 1985 Consumers Distributed prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
Always a long wait there and many times your item was OOS. CD taught us as kids to 'always have a backup plan'! It would suck worse if you were trying to aim towards a goal like combiner limbs. Never had Stunticons but had Motormaster all by his lonesome for years. LOL.

Last time at CD was late 80s, and while were we in Montreal, got 2 Joes and I don?t even remember when they all closed after that.
I remember buying my Stunticon/Aerialbot and Combaticon/Protoctobot limbs from K-Mart and Eatons. I knew if 1 store didn't have them the other did. I did get the Autobot and Decepticon Clones from Consumers'...those were the days.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #12
Atomicgarden
Generation 2

Could be my memory playing tricks, but what I remember from Consumers Distrubuting, everytime I went with my dad for a toy, they never had the ones I wanted. It was always like : which one do you want ? Sorry we don?t have it in stock. What about this one ? Nope. Ok 3rd choice. Sorry we don?t have it either. Ok what about this one ? Yes this one we have.

I hated going there, I was always dissapointed it felt like going to the post office, just waiting in line, nothing to look at.
Atomicgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #13
DuG
Titanium

Oh the memories of Consumer Distributing along with finding headmasters in Toy City and Pretenders at Canadian Tire. Also waiting on the Sears wish book to make a list for Santa of toys and video games.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #14
Tiffster
Classic

They where affiliated with toycity, another store I got my parents to buy me g1 from. I remember entire aisles full of them and ogling jetfire knowing he wasn't in my destiny. Memories.
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #15
Covain
Machine War

I loved CD. Sure they didn't always have what you were looking for and it was a bit of a wait but there was also sometimes a surprise aspect to it. You may put the number down for Dirge but they associated others with that number so Ramjet or Thrust may be the ones they bring. I found this happened a lot with GI Joe figures.
Covain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Always a long wait there and many times your item was OOS. CD taught us as kids to 'always have a backup plan'! It would suck worse if you were trying to aim towards a goal like combiner limbs. Never had Stunticons but had Motormaster all by his lonesome for years. LOL.

Last time at CD was late 80s, and while were we in Montreal, got 2 Joes and I don?t even remember when they all closed after that.
Yes oos was the trend for them.
I remember.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #17
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

I used to go to the one at Sheridan Mall. I think the last thing I got from there was Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 during their going out of business sale

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #18
Darkroar
Generation 2
Darkroar's Ebay Auctions

The local mall had a Consumers Distributing and a Kmart. CD were always a bit cheaper for the same thing, so you would always check CD for stock first if you knew what you wanted. I think GI Joe/Star Wars figures would be 3.99 for a figure at CD and then 4.99 or something at Kmart.

I got the out of stock quite a lot too. I wanted GoBot Coptor one time and it came up with Fitor with a note along the lines of close enough. Another time a friend and I were both getting Kenner MASK Vampire and it came up with both forms on the one toy as they only had one in stock.

You would have those tiny pencils like they had at banks to fill out a little form with the code of what you wanted. Then you would wait. That store had a conveyer belt that the stuff would come out on and you would always be waiting and hoping your thing would be coming next.

When Nintendo hit they were still a bit cheaper. At that age we learned to call around a bit to see if they had stock before going to look.

We used to plan out our future Christmas and birthdays based on the Consumers catalogues for games or toys and to a lesser extent the Sears Christmas catalogue.
Darkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:02 AM   #19
Ransak The Elder
Beasty

Quote:
Always a long wait there and many times your item was OOS. CD taught us as kids to 'always have a backup plan'!

ya i swear they were out of stock of everything, all the time and anything in stock like action figures at the time you would get a random one. couldnt specify unless the staff was cool.
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #20
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
Cool. I may be a rare bird but I love this nerdy math stuff. The bank of Canada actually has an inflation cluculator on-line:

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/

In running a couple of prices through it:

Soundwave: $16.66 in 1985, should be $39.93 in 2022
Optimus Prime: $24.44 in 1985, should be $58.58 in 2022
Astrotrain of Blitzwing: $12.88 in 1985, should $30.87 in 2022

Make of those prices what you will. They seem low to me based on what I'd expect a re-issue to cost but not by as much as I thought.
When you look at some of the recent releases of some of those characters it?s not a bad comparison. Considering if you jumped on the 1st Optimus recently before the price jumps and repacks or a WFC and then Netflix Soundwave. Considering exclusivity pricing/licensing for Soundwave and class changes for Astrotrain/Blitzwing from TR to WFC/Legacy. Now those Walmart Optimus and Soundwave reissues you can definitely see a direct difference between price and inflation.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote