Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-11-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
skyshadow
Generation 2
Opinions on Robot Kingdom?

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with ordering from Robot Kingdom (robotkingdom.com)? I see it advertised on tfw2005, so I am assuming it might be reliable?
skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:59 PM   #2
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: Opinions on Robot Kingdom?

They're fine, reliable, they can undeclare value so you won't be taxed (as much), but the shipping is what kills it since the pandemic.

They've always charged a lot for shipping, but even more now with limited shipping options due to Hong Kong's restrictions.

I used to buy a huge order to offset shipping, but I've found it cheaper just to buy locally (either big chain or the sponsors here)
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #3
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshadow View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with ordering from Robot Kingdom (robotkingdom.com)? I see it advertised on tfw2005, so I am assuming it might be reliable?
One of the most legit Collectible sites on the planet. Only problem is that they are based in China and thus shipping will always be prohibitively expensive. They are still a decent option for exclusives that are otherwise out of reach.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #4
skyshadow
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
They're fine, reliable, they can undeclare value so you won't be taxed (as much), but the shipping is what kills it since the pandemic.

They've always charged a lot for shipping, but even more now with limited shipping options due to Hong Kong's restrictions.

I used to buy a huge order to offset shipping, but I've found it cheaper just to buy locally (either big chain or the sponsors here)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm testing out their checkout process.

In terms of taxation, where and how do I pay for it? I've never order from outside Canada over $100 before.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

I've always wanted to order from them, but like all else said already, prohibitively expensive shipping always stops me
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:

In terms of taxation, where and how do I pay for it? I've never order from outside Canada over $100 before.
If it goes throughout Canada Post, then you?ll pay the customs duties/taxes when you pick up your parcel from your local Post Office. (Or If the service is resumed by then, you can pay your mail person with a credit card at your door when they deliver the parcel).
If it goes through a courier like Fedex or DHL, they?ll contact you to let you know how and where to pay any customs prior to delivery.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
skyshadow
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
I've always wanted to order from them, but like all else said already, prohibitively expensive shipping always stops me

I found myself buying more 3P starting this year given the price hikes for the official Hasbro products. 5 years ago, I would balk at the prices 3P were going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
If it goes throughout Canada Post, then you?ll pay the customs duties/taxes when you pick up your parcel from your local Post Office. (Or If the service is resumed by then, you can pay your mail person with a credit card at your door when they deliver the parcel).
If it goes through a courier like Fedex or DHL, they?ll contact you to let you know how and where to pay any customs prior to delivery.

Thanks for the info! I just placed my order.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:

Oops, just read this now.

Just ask them to mark as a gift and declare at a significantly lower value. Like $100 CAD.

HK shipments rarely get lost.

And if you're living by the GTA, CBSA is likely to tax you.

I prefer avoiding DHL, FedEx and UPS for out of the country purchases, unless it's from Amazon Japan, because their brokerage fees is higher than the provincial tax rate, and as much as 30-40% of the value of the item.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #9
imfallenangel
Cybertron

I've purchased a few times for items that no one else had in stock (older stuff), and the shipping is the brunt of the "outch".

The owner is very nice and does respond fairly fast, and the only incident was one item ended up being out of stock and his site hadn't been updated.

But the shipping aside being a bit expensive (but I've dealt with other sellers that were just as high) is reliable and I've never had issues for taxes or customs like I do when I order from the US.

There's some threads that talks about this seller on TF2005 and it's pretty much the same experience for almost all... his prices are fair, but the shipping expensive which is out of his control, he is responsive to questions and overall a great store that carries a lot of items that are long gone from other sellers.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:51 PM   #10
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
One of the most legit Collectible sites on the planet. Only problem is that they are based in China and thus shipping will always be prohibitively expensive. They are still a decent option for exclusives that are otherwise out of reach.
Actually, they're based in Hong Kong and that's why the shipping prices are so high. The stores based in China are able to use China Post and other cheap international carries, which makes their shipping prices really cheap or sometimes free, but because of covid and other issues, Robot Kingdom has been stuck with using DHL and other pricey shipping methods.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote