Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-12-2022, 02:08 AM   #2781
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag
Re: ToysRUs.ca Transformers Sightings and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Man, I'd love to get some input on that. It's a weird theory but it has legitimate possibility. We've all seen how piss-poor the TF distribution has been. I'm not as in tune with Star Wars/Marvel, so I couldn't say there.

I mean christ, in the lower mainland, it doesn't matter which TRU. They are still hanging onto SS Demolishors and a couple other old shitty toys nobody wants. They barely stocked Kingdom. We'll see what happens with Legacy. They're certainly not getting the stock they once did.

Tru must have good standing with Hasbro Canada since they are still the exclusive retailer for certain Hasbro products. So in those cases not only are they purchasing beyond the threshold, they are literally buying ALL the product. So it's not that, but that just makes things more confusing since I don't know whst else it could be.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:11 AM   #2782
Philtastic
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Someone more knowledgeable can correct me, but in order to get the best wholesale price from Hasbro, a retailer should have an account with Hasbro Canada. But that then entails that the retailer has to order a certain minimum quantity of Hasbro stuff each month.

Could it be that TRU no longer has an account with Hasbro because they're not buying the necessary minimum any more? They would then have to go through some middleman like Everest to get their Hasbro product, which means a higher wholesale price which leads to a higher retail price.

Just a theory... it could still just be greed / price gouging or some mix of all of it.
Putman Investments, the company that bought TRU, and also owns Sunrise Records, FYE, and HMV Retail UK, amongst others, also owns the Everest Toys distribution company, which was actually started by his parents. (https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ail-interview/, https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...ound-1.5026218)

I believe the higher prices on Hasbro items are a kickback to Everest, and/or a shady accounting scheme, though I have no proof, and it's just a hunch. That being said, I know Toy Snowman gets stock directly from Hasbro, so I don't think size is an issue here. Toys R Us is massive, and they could get the best contracts with Hasbro, if they wanted. But it's not in their interest, because of their common ownership with Everest.

Lego is Lego, and McFarlane is distributed by Grosnor in Canada, so it makes sense that the items TRU hikes prices on are the ones they distribute themselves. Also, Hasbro's recent price hikes give them a bit of cover, and they could say it's not their fault. But obviously, they are far exceeding Hasbro's new MSRP at this point.

On the flipside, McFarlane doesn't have the same pressure to raise prices because they are a private company, and are not beholden to the whims of shareholders by squeezing their profit margins. If Todd wants to absorb the extra costs, instead of passing them onto consumers, he's free to do that, and, for the most part, that seems to be his current game plan.

Of course, this is all just based on cursory research, and a rudimentary understanding of business practices, and I have no proof one way or the other. But it's not difficult to put two and two together…
Philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:16 AM   #2783
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
But that's kind of it exactly. The stores main revenue mostly comes from Babies'r'us (which is why I mentioned it) and the action figures. Take one out at TRU's current economic position, and I don't think they'll last.
Genuinely, I would be surprised if action figures are a main revenue source. Lego would no doubt be ahead of it; girls toys like LOL Surprise and Shopkins dominate the toy aisle and are hot ticket items. What was the lest "boys toy" hot ticket? Hard to say with younger kids toys...

I think the reality of action figures that are higher priced and geared towards an older collector is that they are less and less of a primary revenue source.

Whether we like it or not the primary buyers at TRU remain parents and grandparents, shopping for younger kids.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:19 AM   #2784
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtastic View Post
Putman Investments, the company that bought TRU, and also owns Sunrise Records, FYE, and HMV Retail UK, amongst others, also owns the Everest Toys distribution company, which was actually started by his parents. (https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ail-interview/, https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...ound-1.5026218)

I believe the higher prices on Hasbro items are a kickback to Everest, and/or a shady accounting scheme, though I have no proof, and it's just a hunch. That being said, I know Toy Snowman gets stock directly from Hasbro, so I don't think size is an issue here. Toys R Us is massive, and they could get the best contracts with Hasbro, if they wanted. But it's not in their interest, because of their common ownership with Everest.

Lego is Lego, and McFarlane is distributed by Grosnor in Canada, so it makes sense that the items TRU hikes prices on are the ones they distribute themselves. Also, Hasbro's recent price hikes give them a bit of cover, and they could say it's not their fault. But obviously, they are far exceeding Hasbro's new MSRP at this point.

On the flipside, McFarlane doesn't have the same pressure to raise prices because they are a private company, and are not beholden to the whims of shareholders by squeezing their profit margins. If Todd wants to absorb the extra costs, instead of passing them onto consumers, he's free to do that, and, for the most part, that seems to be his current game plan.

Of course, this is all just based on cursory research, and a rudimentary understanding of business practices, and I have no proof one way or the other. But it's not difficult to put two and two together?
Some really good points here. Toy Snowman, A3U, and other smaller online retailers sell their toys at MSRP or maybe a buck or two above. There's no reason for TRU to be hit with a penalty.

I would say it's a fair cop to say Hasbro is squeezing out profits for shareholders. Out of one side of their mouth they claim record profits, and the other cry about rising costs. It can't be both. The ten buck jump when Siege hit was pre-pandemic, pre-insane shipping costs. IMO they're compensating for dwindling sales by increasing prices. But that's the reality of trying to have constantly rising profits. It's not realistic or viable long-term. Constant increasing growth is impossible.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if the higher prices on Hasbro shit has to do with padding or kickbacks.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:20 AM   #2785
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Someone more knowledgeable can correct me, but in order to get the best wholesale price from Hasbro, a retailer should have an account with Hasbro Canada. But that then entails that the retailer has to order a certain minimum quantity of Hasbro stuff each month.

Could it be that TRU no longer has an account with Hasbro because they're not buying the necessary minimum any more? They would then have to go through some middleman like Everest to get their Hasbro product, which means a higher wholesale price which leads to a higher retail price.

Just a theory... it could still just be greed / price gouging or some mix of all of it.
Could be, but it's not only the Hasbro stuff that's had a price increase. A booster pack of Pokemon cards is now $8.00 at TRU (~$5-$7 everywhere else, comic book shops included). I collect a few of those smaller 1:32 scale diecast cars made by Jada Toys. They're usually about $9-$10 at Walmart, but TRU has them for $13.

So it could be mix of all of those factors or they're just trying to make up for when they went bankrupt still and are just gouging prices. Who really knows
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #2786
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
I think you wildly underestimate the value of babies r us. There was a period a decade+ ago where the only reason TRU was kept afloat was babies r us
Quote:
TRU's biggest sales are more than likely babies r us. It's a good place to be when mom/dad is changing baby or bored while shopping for a new crib/carseat/etc.

TRU Canada is probably wise to pivot towards catering more and more to baby stuff and smaller children
Quote:
The stores main revenue mostly comes from Babies'r'us
I have just got to say, that after a long drive between towns, takin the famalam in to the family bathroom? Many TRUs have these awesome soft rotating rocking chairs, absolutely amazing to sit in - just, minutes of bliss, listening to the latest Disney OST song over the PA

If TRU's baby initiative is the reason these exist, then I wouldn't begrudge a thing

(except for high prices & no sales, of course)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #2787
Napseeker
Generation 2

Well now I'm going to actually have to use the bathroom the next time I hit up a TRU...
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #2788
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

TRU family bathrooms are the best.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #2789
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Could be, but it's not only the Hasbro stuff that's had a price increase. A booster pack of Pokemon cards is now $8.00 at TRU (~$5-$7 everywhere else, comic book shops included). I collect a few of those smaller 1:32 scale diecast cars made by Jada Toys. They're usually about $9-$10 at Walmart, but TRU has them for $13.

So it could be mix of all of those factors or they're just trying to make up for when they went bankrupt still and are just gouging prices. Who really knows
Remember - TRU Canada never went bankrupt. They were separate from TRU USA.

Whatever the reason, the price gouging is clearly just that. sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
I have just got to say, that after a long drive between towns, takin the famalam in to the family bathroom? Many TRUs have these awesome soft rotating rocking chairs, absolutely amazing to sit in - just, minutes of bliss, listening to the latest Disney OST song over the PA

If TRU's baby initiative is the reason these exist, then I wouldn't begrudge a thing

(except for high prices & no sales, of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
TRU family bathrooms are the best.
My kids are older now and we don't live five minutes from TRU, but being able to change/feed the baby while the toddler was in the same large family bathroom was so helpful.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #2790
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Remember - TRU Canada never went bankrupt. They were separate from TRU USA.

Whatever the reason, the price gouging is clearly just that. sadly.
Too bad they chose to price gouge the Hasbro stuff rather than the other brands