Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-17-2022, 10:23 PM   #201
Gaming Turtle
Robot in Disguise
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertrev View Post
I don't know if I missed the memo or something but I just walked into Toysrus and Deluxe Kickback is priced at $44.99! Doctor Strange Marvel Legends is $42.99! That's a tank of gas for 2 toys! I came in at the tail end of combiner wars at maybe 22.99 for a deluxe and now it has doubled, I really can't believe it. I know Walmart and GameStop have better prices for now but...jeez Toysrus must not be doing well to justify this sort of hike

Don't forget that voyagers are now $55 at Toysrus for Legacy. Safe to say my collecting is ending soon once Gamestop catches up in price.
Gaming Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #202
Napseeker
Generation 2

An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation:

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...-suggests.html

Quote:
A deep dive into the financial statements of Loblaw Companies Ltd., Empire Company Ltd. (which owns Sobeys) and Metro Inc. shows that profit margins ? the difference between how much they buy and sell their products for ? are rising.

The numbers suggest these grocers are raising prices more than they have to. Rather than just passing along higher costs to customers, they?re passing them along ? and then some.

?Yes, some prices are rising because of problems in global supply chains. That is absolutely happening,? said DT Cochrane, an economist with Canadians for Tax Fairness. ?But some prices are rising because corporations are jacking up their markups to serve their bottom lines.?

?There?s a very simple reason for this inflation, for this affordability crisis: It?s because corporations are taking the opportunity to raise prices,? said Cochrane. ?The people who set the prices are setting them higher.?

You can definitely lump Hasbro in there with Loblaws.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:20 AM   #203
pandaprime
aficionado!

yes, yes it is. I am still waiting for the wave 1 Legacy figures to go on a legit sale.

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:57 AM   #204
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation:

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...-suggests.html

You can definitely lump Hasbro in there with Loblaws.
Oh, that was obvious the second siege hit and the jump on deluxes was 150%. Or 50%. I'm not a math teacher.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #205
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

There's a lot of good figures this year (a good Jhiaxus, the new Menasor, finishing the 86 SS Dinobots) but I'm trying to take a serious hard look at what to not buy. The price increases are insane.

I think I'm going to at least sell some of my WFC beast wars recolours/new heads (Buzzsaw, toy Blackarachnia, etc). Probably the least profitable things to sell but oh well.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #206
delrue
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation
delrue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #207
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Sorry hit a paywall with the Star article, lol. Luckily with Transformers as opposed to food there are more alternative ways and marketplaces for collecting like cons and such. Even in food there are discount stores like Almost Perfect/Grocery Outlet and a few other places which means my dollars will be going there more. Luckily I live near some Native Reservations where I can get my fuel as well.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #208
BeeTrain
Beasty

I am buying most of my new figures in the US now. Fortunately, I travel there for work every few weeks. Generally ends up being 20-40% cheaper after exchange and lower tax rates.

My buying has really slowed down this year as I am much more selective. I bought over 70 figures last year compared to only about 20 so far this year.
BeeTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:34 PM   #209
joshimus
Metroplex

I am preordering figures that are "must have" for me and disregarding everything else...which sadly is most of it. Like, BW Inferno is a MUST for me, the Armada Starscream...nnnoo. I've certainly become far far far more picky the last few years as I slow down my collecting but these prices sure help make that easier.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #210
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Luckily for me I've hit a point in my collecting a few years ago, starting mostly with Titans Return, where I just don't feel the need to buy many figures anymore. Yes, I still like them, and do want a few here and there for various reasons, but for the most part I'm skipping them.
Some because I feel like, since they're SO G1 (not that I'm complaining ) I feel like, I already have the G1, so why do I need this? Or for example, with the new Skids figure; I really like Skids, and I kinda want this new one, but the pragmatic part of my brain says "1. See the above argument. And 2. If you get it, you'll display it for a few months, then it'll get stuck in a bin to make room for something else. So why bother?"

But for the few that I do actually want, yes, the price has been keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
yes, yes it is. I am still waiting for the wave 1 Legacy figures to go on a legit sale.
And sadly the sales we get here are total bullshit compared to the ones I see coming out of the US. They'll drop the price by $5 and call that a "sale", or sometimes a "clearance" price!