Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #21
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: What figure surprised you? Good or bad.

Decided to add another figure to the list.

Siege Astrotrain.

What a disappointment. He is pretty great in robot mode, but what a mess in the altmodes.

I understand this is a retail release so I don't expect MP/third party level design. However it seems like Robot mode took precedence, and any cues from other attempts were given only a cursory passover.

The shuttle mode is fair, but the back end is a greebly mess that doesn't even have the fairly uniform look of the G1 toy!

Don't even get me started on the train mode. I don't know if it was my copy, but it doesn't even fit well together to make a solid looking train.

Also, even though he is leader class it makes me sad how small he feels. In the show he was shown to be nearly combiner size so another notch for the disappointment column.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
Pascal
Banned

Voyager Apeface was a massive let down with his cheap/thin/flexy plastic and fugly shade of (almost clear) white. Should have had the same quality as Snapdragon. As it is, they don't feel or look like they're from the same series.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #23
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

Sky Lynx was the only figure I added to my collection in 2020 and he was a surprise both good and bad to me.

Good: Awesome deco and design (generally) with amazing articulation.

Bad: Critical design flaws in the wings prevented it from being a perfect figure.

This figure really cemented my view that Hasbro is squarely aiming these figures at collectors, as that is the only reason I can think of for approving the flawed wing design.

I also repurchased POTP Punch-Counterpunch... and that was another beautiful figure marred by one glaring issue (i.e. the shoulder mis-assembly that actually wasn't).

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 01-29-2021 at 12:57 PM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #24
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Target Transforming gift card.

I didn't expect much from this flat Optimus Prime, but it surprisingly had alot of play value.

Considering most Autobots are cars with lots of play action driving, we designated his alt mode to be a ramp for car jumps.

Lots of fun from this unassuming item!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #25
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Generations roadbuster.

I've bought it three times because Wreckers.

Somehow everytime I am surprised by how it is in the top 5 worst transformers of all time.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #26
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Generations roadbuster.

I've bought it three times because Wreckers.

Somehow everytime I am surprised by how it is in the top 5 worst transformers of all time.
You bought 3?
Wrecker troop build?

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:24 PM   #27
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
You bought 3?
Wrecker troop build?
Hahaha. Nah. I have gone through buying and reselling phases the past few years. Roadbuster also just... I hated him that much. Then the Titans return jumpstarters and broadside hit and it was like, wreck n rule! Got another one. Something like that.

If and when I ever get around to doing another wreckers shelf I may break my no 3p rule and get a 3p RB cos the chug toy is so bad.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #28
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Hmm... let's see... Positive only:

I got Transmetal Optimus in a bundle with Transmetal Airazor (who I wanted for its historical significance) and I was pretty much floored by how much I enjoyed it despite how simple it is. It has a very satisfying hand feel... It's chunky and solid, like a big Masters of the Universe figures, but it also turns into a gorilla on a surfboard and somehow that's funny and awesome?

Getting a G1 Barrage (complete!) was also a joy! I always wanted the Deluxe insecticons and getting one in hands for the first time was impressive. The transformation was clever and the robot really striking but the bug mode was also really cool. Honestly, heads above most of G1 in term of engineering.

Reissue G1 Tailgate, Swerve and Warpath were pretty satisfying, even if they're not that impressive as far as transformation or anything. They're just fun to fiddle with is all.

Remember when we had Target? And they had this Age of Extinction two-pack of a FOC Grimlock in G1 color and the DOTM Deluxe Optimus in an all chrome look that they sold for the price of a deluxe by accident? I got on almost for fun and both figures really struck me. I've never been a Grimlock fan much, but he was really cool in his spangly colorful G1 colors and the Optimus turned out to be a really fun transformation.

RID Stormshot. Very generic toy-only dude, relatively middling alt-mode, super simple transformation for babies... Such a cool robot mode with tons of presence and still fun to just transform back and forth.

More recently I found myself really enjoying the Weaponizers (well, at least the Six Gun and Brunt mold, never got Cog) and the Modulators. Seeing the Power Dashers in person with their crisp and rich paint job was really cool and I really enjoy trying to come up with alternate base modes for Airwaves and Ironworks. If I had found one of those 5$ Ironworks I would have bought an extra one. It's enough to make me want Greasepit or that Gobotropolis two pack!

Earthrise Starcream. I got him on sale and then cheaper thanks to the Bear Paws coupon last fall and he was one of the last Transformers I put away before moving. It's such a great and satisfying transformation. It's like the old classics mold but more... solid, more alive! It looks cool in any sort of poses and the jet is just so...wooshable. I just liked to hold it! It reminds me of the big GI Joe jet I had as a kid... I'm lucky stores are closed because I don't know if I could resist the Thundercracker Skywarp two pack if I saw it... Though I could go for that Select Sandstorm too.

Siege Soundwave is another I got for suuuper cheap thanks to sales that really surprised me. The alt-mode is a nothing spaceship but the robot mode is so good looking. And I gave his tube-gun to Siege Megatron to put on his back. Good purchase. Especially now that I can perch Lazerbeak on his forearm!

Last edited by Undrave; 01-29-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:53 PM   #29
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Good:

RID Windblade: I didn't expect such a figure to be as fun as she is and has been a major favourite that no other figure since has really "stolen" her spot.

Agreed! I even got rid of my original Windblade (gave to a friend I think or I sold it?) it just felt fidly and didn't tab together very well after a while. It's like the plastic had warped under its own weight. I do have the Iron Factory Wind Saber who is the cutest thing EVER.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #30
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Generations Select G2 Sandstorm.

I have the ER Seeker mold with Starscream, Thundercracker & Skywarp so I was kind of expecting the same.

However I was pleasantly surprised by how great the Ramjet version of this mold has turned out. The remolded wings work well and don't detract from, or interfere with, the figure.

I really thought the conehead would be a bit of a problem, but it was fine.

And the paint scheme!!! Great job!!! I love the pattern and applications, it really works. Makes me wonder why they couldn't have done more with the Maverick crossover figure's paint apps.

My only problem is now I really want the G1 colours, but who knows when that will happen right?
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote