Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #21
cr3d1t
Beast Machine
Re: Netflix WFC: Earthrise discussion WITH SPOILERS!!!! Beware

It was pretty bad, like Siege. A cheap show with bad writing, bad voice work, and bad action scenes. It’s so slowly paced I watched the last two episodes at 1.5x speed and it felt pretty much normal.

Megaton was the only character with true motivations. I don’t understand Optimus anymore. He’s an idiot. Elita wants to save everyone but is reckless and dumb. “It might be a trap”/“let’s go anyway”/“turns out it’s a trap””. How can the deceptions on Cybertron have such trouble with four Autobots? I laughed at Jetfire ineptly attempting stealth and getting seen. Amazing how shockwave has invisibility tech that also makes him intangible.

Easter eggs and reimaging of characters is fine, but everything about the show is so hackneyed and lazy and without personality that it’s really painful to watch. I want a good Transformers show and this ain’t it.

Still better than Machinima’s stuff but that’s barely a compliment.

After-post thoughts: they spent a third of the entire series on a broken space station. And then one episode in the dead universe. The whole show just stopped there and died. They barely leave Cybertron and get stuck at the first turn. They wasted three episodes on content barely better than filler. What was the point of Scorponock?

Last edited by cr3d1t; 01-02-2021 at 02:38 AM.
cr3d1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #22
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

I get it that the point of this series is to sell toys, but they REALLY need to figure out their target audience, and then cater to that audience. I think that this show might have too much angst for kids, but the show feels very "frenetically angsty" rather than having actual tension that might appeal to an older audience.

Other comments here seem to say that people feel that the show is "dark", and while killing characters does seem darker than other 24-minute toy commercials, there are no emotional consequences to these deaths. When it looked like Chromia died, I didn't care a bit, and I'll bet that any kid watching didn't care, or maybe didn't even understand that we were supposed to know that she died. That is a failure from top to bottom: the writing, acting, directing, and especially animation.

For me the show is a series of frantic "panic" sequences punctuated by long stretches of what old people think angst might look like (or maybe the other way around...?)

I can't find myself caring about ANY of the characters.
And as someone else pointed out - Cyberverse does a better job of having me care about the story with only 10-minute episodes. Those stories are very rushed, and clearly aimed at kids, where there is very little time for anything other than the main plot (such as it is). And yet, from the few episodes of Cyberverse that I have watched, I found it well done (for a kids show designed to sell toys). Is that because Cyberverse is a masterpiece? (hint: no), or is it because they used professional writers, actors, and competent animators?

Harsh? Maybe. But there are examples of adequate 24-minute toy commercials. This series really isn't among them.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #23
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Ugh. I was hoping for so much more. I was hoping that they would've learned from the errors of Siege and corrected. But no.

• Everyone.....still.....talks.....like.....this.
  • You still can barely tell characters apart without looking at them. It's not as bad as Siege, but it's still there.
  • Why did Scorponok have a Decepticon symbol on his chest if he wasn't a Decepticon? And when Prime was "choking" him, I was waiting for his head to pop off and transform into Zarak, a big feature of the toy, but it didn't happen. He was just a video game boss fight.
  • Frankly, I wish this was the Elita 1 show because I find her to be much more compelling than Optimus Prime.
All in all, it feels like a 90 minute movie stretched out to 3 hours to fill time.
Just thought of something else I hated, and maybe it's an "up vote" for old fashioned 2D animation, but I HATE how the character models were totally unchanging. Like how we see the flashback to a meeting with Prime, Magnus, Megatron, and Alpha Trion, that took place eons ago, and EVERYBODY has the exact same "battle damage" as they do now! Prime has the same cracks in his boob windows and Megatron has the same 2 "bullet holes" and the same 2 huge scratches in his chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
I think there was sharkticons just robot forms when the quintesson said i gave my own army.
When the autobots get caught by the quintesson.
Nope. Just more generics using the Ironhide model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliniere View Post
Jake Foushee's Optimus *is* improving, give him a few more years of practice, and I really think he will be a worthy successor to Cullen. Go back and really listen to g1 Optimus. he can't emote either, and is nowhere NEAR as deep as modern Cullen optimus
Are you insane?!?! When was the last time you actually watched G1?

I'm currently watching through G1 (for the millionth time) again right now, and G1 Prime has more emotion in his pinky finger than this new Prime does!
And that "deepness" in Prime's voice now is due to Peter Cullen's age. He's 79 now, back when he did G1 he was in his early 40's and already a veteran voice actor, as he's been voice acting since 1968.

It's this new guy who doesn't know how to emote. FFS, when he yells he just sounds like Christian Bale's Batman, which isn't a compliment!
Old 01-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #24
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
Ugh. I was hoping for so much more. I was hoping that they would've learned from the errors of Siege and corrected. But no.

• Everyone.....still.....talks.....like.....this.
  • You still can barely tell characters apart without looking at them. It's not as bad as Siege, but it's still there.
  • Why did Scorponok have a Decepticon symbol on his chest if he wasn't a Decepticon? And when Prime was "choking" him, I was waiting for his head to pop off and transform into Zarak, a big feature of the toy, but it didn't happen. He was just a video game boss fight.
  • Frankly, I wish this was the Elita 1 show because I find her to be much more compelling than Optimus Prime.
All in all, it feels like a 90 minute movie stretched out to 3 hours to fill time.
Just thought of something else I hated, and maybe it's an "up vote" for old fashioned 2D animation, but I HATE how the character models were totally unchanging. Like how we see the flashback to a meeting with Prime, Magnus, Megatron, and Alpha Trion, that took place eons ago, and EVERYBODY has the exact same "battle damage" as they do now! Prime has the same cracks in his boob windows and Megatron has the same 2 "bullet holes" and the same 2 huge scratches in his chest.

Nope. Just more generics using the Ironhide model.

Are you insane?!?! When was the last time you actually watched G1?

I'm currently watching through G1 (for the millionth time) again right now, and G1 Prime has more emotion in his pinky finger than this new Prime does!
And that "deepness" in Prime's voice now is due to Peter Cullen's age. He's 79 now, back when he did G1 he was in his early 40's and already a veteran voice actor, as he's been voice acting since 1968.

It's this new guy who doesn't know how to emote. FFS, when he yells he just sounds like Christian Bale's Batman, which isn't a compliment!

80s toons, when revisited, I'm sure all of us have realized how poor or average, at best, the animation is. The stories are what they are. The art design is a key for it mattering - the siloheuttes and great looking characters.

Yet they remain iconic. And a big reason is the sheer quality of voice acting and direction on countless of these shows.

Transformers, GI joe, good goddamn. A murderer's row of absolute legends. Mike bell, Dan gilvezan, Gregg Berger, scatman Crothers, Chris Latta, and more.

Cullen and Welker are in another league.

His prime voice has deepened over the years. Of course. Age and the roles of movie and prime Optimus are different.

His original voice is iconic. Without that delivery prime is nothing. Bee is nothing. Megatron is nothing.

The voice acting is the best part of most of those 80s shows. You can TELL when it's bad in comparison.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #25
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Plus PETER CULLEN IS EEYORE YOU HEATHENS

Funny story. Cullen talked about always doing the deeper characters, especially the yells and screams, at the end of the day because they destroyed his throat. And Wally burr was a notorious taskmaster. ��������

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #26
Abominus Prime
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Plus PETER CULLEN IS EEYORE YOU HEATHENS

Funny story. Cullen talked about always doing the deeper characters, especially the yells and screams, at the end of the day because they destroyed his throat. And Wally burr was a notorious taskmaster. ��������
Having watched the pulsecon zoom call with Peter Cullen and Frank Welker. They could still sound like they did back in the 80's G1 show. They voiced a couple examples as such.( Loved the John Wayne approach of Prime and the Metallic scratch of Megatron)

It's just like you said the demand to keep it up as they approach 80 is alot to ask of these legends. Also they're professional voice actors they're not A listers pulling in millions And millions (though I'm sure they are paid well and made sound financial investments).

As for the shows voice acting it's very generic. It feels a little better, but I think it's because there less characters with dialogue.

As for the voice acting in general im not gonna knock it, I'm sure they did the best they could and probably doing it for next to nothing. Being a fan if asked id do it for the exposure if given the oppertunity but only if Mr. Cullen and Mr. Welker turned it down to give others a chance.

And as for the over all show it's pretty much the same as the machina(my apologies for spelling) web series just with better art design. They shrunk down from 11 -12 , 11 min webisodes and condensed them into 6 , 22-24 min episodes. I really do believe they needed more episodes for better story telling, it feels rushed.

The title should also reflect the story your trying to tell. So Earthrise should be reserved for the last chapter. Nothing other then the last seconds of this chapter resembled what i would call Earthrise. Even an Odessy seems over top since they spent alot of time at the spacebridge or dead space.

Character development was not good. Maybe if most never knew anything about transformers ok . But the character development was already there which is why the proper voice direction and acting was important. As that's apart of the development as well. Everyone who watched the shows knows about the characters, thier personalities strengths and weaknesses. So having Skylinx who is, yes arrogant because of his intelligence but very humble and supportive for his fellow Autobots. Become a power hungry Neanderthal is something I would have thought more relatable to Megatron. Or Scorpinok if this chapter had spent time on a planet say oh I dont know... Nebulous(Again sorry for spelling lol ). And that Zarak' s character could have been explored being hes the headmaster of Scorpinok it would have made better sense.

I don't see this show as selling toys since the toys are already out before the show. More or less the toys selling the show.

I just hope Netflix learns something from this if they plan on doing more series in the future. You can probably fool people who may not have seen this before .But it's fan base will always know when a company is cutting corners. And this so far feels alot like that.
Abominus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #27
bqpetn
Generation 2

terrible series, period!
I don't think any younger kids would like it.
bqpetn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #28
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Yeah not really for kids too much anarchy for children to pull in.
I myself think it seems rushed no earthrise vehicles whsts the point even in the cartoon??
Anywho bring on kingdom
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #29
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

My kids watched half of it and didn't want to finish the rest the following day. Instead they asked to watch an actual anime.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #30
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
My kids watched half of it and didn't want to finish the rest the following day. Instead they asked to watch an actual anime.
Ouch . ‘Nuff said
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote