Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Netflix WFC: Earthrise discussion WITH SPOILERS!!!! Beware

As I said in the title.

I will say it again here. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

LAST CHANCE!!!!!!!!
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Netflix WFC: Earthrise discussion WITH SPOILERS!!!! Beware

Ok so it has only been a couple hours, but since I wake up at an ungodly hour I was able to watch all the episodes before the kids wake up.

Here are some of my thoughts, in no particular order.

I actually hate (dislike?) Prime even more in this season. I find that the characterization has regressed. Also I cannot stand the voice. I think it is a terrible voice for Prime. I understand the whole "flawed" leader trope to make a character relatable. It just seems like Prime is played one minute as the assured leader, and the next he is "woe is me". Then back again, and back and forth numerous times.

Megatron is pretty good this season. I don't think they did a great job portraying his decent into madness. Or maybe I just didn't really buy into it that much. I mean right from the start talking to Ultra Magnus' head on a table is a bit on the nose, but still. Overall though I think they did a better job with the idea of the "death by a thousand cuts Megatron goes through trying to survive. It also showed how easy it is to abandon principles. His visit to sector 12 before deciding to shut it down was good character development. Megatron had probably the best character arc of the season.

I feel Elita had a lot of screen time, but not much development. When Megatron uses her original name (Aeria?l) it was kind of out of left field. They did a good job of showing her being a great leader along the lines of what Prime was/should be, but her history was kind of glossed over considering her connection to Prime and Megatron.

I loved the mercenaries!!! Double dealer as the leader and getting to see Bug Bite, Exhaust and Ramjet/Dirge/Thrust as Tetra Seekers!!!! I also liked their ship, especially the main weapon when it fires. More mercenaries please, though I doubt that very much.

The quintesson was interesting, if a bit out of left field. Shame we only saw the one, and no Sharkticons/Allicons. I did like the internal strife from 5 voices, especially the way Deeseus(?) Solved that problem for him/herself. Makes the whole attach the faces on the toy mean a lot more.

GALVATRON!!!! Loved the throwback to the reformatting scene from the 86 movie. Fairly good G1 representation while being different. Also Unicron!

Sky-Lynx was definitely the strangest change to characterization. Him wanting the Matrix and trying to get it from Alpha Trion (by the way ALPHA TRION!!!) seemed rather odd. Especially considering we haven't seen him at all until this flashback scene. I guess it was a sort of extension of the arrogance of the G1 character. It seemed a little off to me. However it was the reason to banish him to the "dead universe". Also kind of a waste as he bites it so quickly. At least he went out heroically. Although I have to say that Alpha Trion was a big douche. That is a pretty cruel punishment.

The dead universe was interesting. I kept trying to figure out what image that was flashing in the dark/light swirls. I guess we know where "Alternate Universe" Prime ties into. Also a glimpse of Nemesis Prime. A good plot device with ties to the lore.

Alpha Trion with Megs, UM and Prime in the flashback was good to see. Also liked the voice. However here is where Elita could have been included to further expand her character. Another wasted opportunity in my opinion

Fun to see Dinobot at the end, even if just in dino mode. I really can't wait to see how they mesh the 2 eras together.

Overall a good entry, but still lacking in a number of areas.

I need to watch it again though to catch the things I missed.

Last edited by canprime; 12-30-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Forgot to add that I actually really liked the depiction of Scorponok. While not the greatest, it was very different, and I liked the idea of a planet full of Scorponoks.

Also great double shot of Omega Supreme and throwback to Mirage's Holo powers.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Powered Convoy

Stuff I liked: How Sky Lynx redeemed himself and everything leading up to the redemption; Ravage ejecting, transforming and scratching Scorponok's visor.

WTF: 30 seconds spent on Earth's surface in a miniseries titled "Earthrise"....?!? Siege Season 2, maybe. Just a minor nitpick; I expected a few more of the Earthrise toys to show up, and there were a few inaccuracies (e.g. ExhUast's head).

Overall, it was a fun ride
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
joshimus
Metroplex

Man, the voice acting is so bad on this show. I would say Earthrise was slightly better than Siege, but like, barely.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
starsaber89
Generation 2

Agree with everyone about Optimus, you can hear him straining his voice when he screams trying to keep it low. It was really difficult to stomach. I know no one can come close to Peter Cullen but this guy was abysmal. Sky Lynx definitely stole the spotlight in Earthrise. Kinda weird that they went with the same story in Cyberverse introducing unspace, only cyberverse did it so much better.
starsaber89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
omegacanuck
Generation 2

Couple quick thoughts of my own. I liked it overall, but I felt that the pacing could use some work. Everyone seemed to talk so slow. There's a time for reflective pondering, but there is a bit much. I also found it a bit darker than expected for a Transformers cartoon (not a bad thing, just surprising). Between Megatron fueling his ambition with the literal spark of his own troops and the Quintesson solving the internal conflict by cutting off 4 of his own faces.........wow.

Sky lynx was the most different from his G1 counterpart. I mean, he was always an arrogant asshole, but now it became a lot more self centered (although he managed to get some redemption).

Curious about characters we saw who have no toys. Would seem to be unusual to have no attempt to sell things based on what you see on screen. Maybe they just felt it was necessary for the plot, but Galvatron? Alpha Trion?

Thought they missed out on not having any Alicons to join the Quint.
omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacanuck View Post
Couple quick thoughts of my own. I liked it overall, but I felt that the pacing could use some work. Everyone seemed to talk so slow. There's a time for reflective pondering, but there is a bit much. I also found it a bit darker than expected for a Transformers cartoon (not a bad thing, just surprising). Between Megatron fueling his ambition with the literal spark of his own troops and the Quintesson solving the internal conflict by cutting off 4 of his own faces.........wow.

Sky lynx was the most different from his G1 counterpart. I mean, he was always an arrogant asshole, but now it became a lot more self centered (although he managed to get some redemption).

Curious about characters we saw who have no toys. Would seem to be unusual to have no attempt to sell things based on what you see on screen. Maybe they just felt it was necessary for the plot, but Galvatron? Alpha Trion?

Thought they missed out on not having any Alicons to join the Quint.

Galvatron is getting a toy in kingdom.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

They had steeljaw at the beginning, wonder if that is a sign a Blaster figure will come out
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
Crobot91
Metroplex

Dare I say it was worse than Energon.

No point to the show and it does a horrible job showcasing the toys. Besides Jetfire and the seekers, how many times did the other folks transform? Maybe once or twice or never if you were SkyLynx, Bee, Elita, Arcee, and Wheeljack.

How are they going to attract youngsters to the product.

Such a huge drop in quality since the Prime series.

Don't get me started on the voice actors...