Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 02:17 AM   #1
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus
Best for shipping cost on multiple orders from Japan? Need Advice!

Good Day,

I was wondering if you guys can give some direction. I am considering making my first order for a few of one or two items from shops selling out of Japan. Since they are PreOrders, most do not show the actual shipping cost it seems; that gets applied when they come in stock.

In your experience, which shops have the lowest cost of shipping for multiple items, best items, best prices, best service and any other particulars that you believe are important. In Canada I dont think we have any major shipping restrictions right now.

I was looking at AmiAmi, MyKombini, Amazon.jp, AnimeExport, Hobbysearch1999.jp, HLJ.com and NinNinGame. Which should I consider first? Best to worst? Other shops to consider...

Sorry if these is already a thread for these, I had not found an extensive one comparing all these main shops.

Cheers and thanks,
MilanX3

Last edited by Dark Rage; 09-15-2020 at 12:38 AM.
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: BEST FOR SHIPPING COST ON MULTIPLE ORDERS FROM JAPAN? NEED ADVICE!

I advise using lowercase letters in your thread title.
(j/k)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

That's tough. None of them really give you much of a deal. I think HLJ allows you to store orders and then they will ship all of them in one shipment when you're ready (which saves on the shipping price).

I feel Amazon Japan has the best shipping prices. They do charge a small import fee, but their item prices and shipping prices are usually lower than everyone else. If you're able to find the item on Amazon Japan, I'd use them.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 09-13-2020 at 03:05 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
I feel Amazon Japan has the best shipping prices. They do charge a small import fee, but there item prices and shipping prices are usually lower than everyone else. If you're able to find the item on Amazon Japan, I'd use them.
I agree, esp for TakaraTomy MPs. AJ prices and their Global shipping combination is the best prices around most of the times. And now in COVID time their DHL delivery is the fastest and most reliable (EMS to east coast takes a lot longer time now). If you are into JPop, Anime, Japanese magazines, etc you can slip in a couple of small items with paying not a lot more in shipping.

For HLJ you need to group a few stuffs in your Private Warehouse in order to get the best shipping. And for AmiAmi and Anime Export you will try to group more than one item in a given release month. It helps if you interested in stuffs more than TFs (like Gunpla, SoC, etc.) or try to do a group buy. Air Mail isn’t cheaper than EMS, and unless you are prepared to wait for over a month you shouldn’t do surface.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 09-13-2020 at 01:30 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
RedCell
Generation 1

Amiami, HLJ, and Hobby Search are all good options. They all use mostly the same shipping methods. SAL is currently not available due to the pandemic. Airmail would be the cheapest option. EMS would be faster but more expensive. Avoid couriers like DHL and FedEx. They will charge you a large brokerage fee for clearing the package through customs for you.

Amazon.jp is a hit or miss. Sometimes it is a good deal even when you factor in the import fee they charge with shipping. Sometimes not.
RedCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
I advise using lowercase letters in your thread title.
(j/k)
Yeah, copied and pasted from a different apps and it went Uppers on me! Sorry about that.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Thanks for all of your great pointers.

For Amazon.jp, do they not use DHL then? Do you get hit with brokerage fees using them in that case to Canada?

I dont mind waiting long tbh, I'd prefer a better and lower cost shipping price if it arrives within 6 weeks or so.

Which do you think is best for two different PreOrders arriving at different times?

Thanks again,
MilanX3
Old 09-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

amazon.co.jp uses DHL, but all the fees are included in the shipping cost, you won't pay more. DHL is faster than EMS, i can receive things in 2 days. sometimes AJ will refund fees that they overcharge, usually a few dollars.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #9
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Thanks for your response,

Its good to know Amazon.co.jp wont charge Brokerage Fees upon arrival in Canada via DHL. If anyone has experienced anything differently please let us know.

I have a POBOX, anyone else have one and had issues with Amazon Japan? I know for ToysRUS in Canada its never worked, and has become an even worse problem recently.

For those of you that have used AmiAmi, if you have two PreOrders coming out at different times, do they send them separately using two different shipping charges? I was considering doing them in one order number, but it isnt clear if they ship and charge separately?

Thanks,
MilanX3
Old 09-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
burgerhui
Machine War

Justs confirming my experience with Amazon Japan:

Ordered an MP Nemesis with them on the 13th. Package arrived in perfect condition today. No extra customs/duties.

Highly recommend using them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanX3 View Post
Thanks for your response,

Its good to know Amazon.co.jp wont charge Brokerage Fees upon arrival in Canada via DHL. If anyone has experienced anything differently please let us know.

I have a POBOX, anyone else have one and had issues with Amazon Japan? I know for ToysRUS in Canada its never worked, and has become an even worse problem recently.

For those of you that have used AmiAmi, if you have two PreOrders coming out at different times, do they send them separately using two different shipping charges? I was considering doing them in one order number, but it isnt clear if they ship and charge separately?

Thanks,
MilanX3
burgerhui is offline   Reply With Quote