Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: A pause?

I quit during the Prime Wars trilogy. Bought a couple of Legends and Leaders from Combiner Wars (in other words, I bought some of the CW figures that ignored the CW gimmick) but skipped Titans Return and Power of the Primes completely. Siege and Earthrise got me to at least look at Transformers again, but I still barely touched those lines (in Siege's case it was because of the battle damage and the desire to mimmic the MTMTE-style half-Cybertronian designs, and in Earthrise's case it was because I already had better versions of most of its characters.) I bought more of Kingdom since a lot of those characters had never had decent representations before, but I'm still skipping more figures than I'm buying.

I suspect I'll continue taking a pick-and-choose approach to Legacy and beyond (I was never a completionist, but I used to impulse-buy Deluxes sometimes even if I wasn't interested in the character or design, but current prices have put a stop to that.) I'm going to be skipping all of the figures they've shown so far, but I might buy repaints of some of them if they're ever made (Scourge for Laser Prime, Fracture for Drag Strip, Elita-1 or another fembot for Arcee.)
Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
ngnaw
Armada

Increased prices have made me stop buying new figures. I have most of the ones I ever wanted now, so I am basically rearranging my detolfs with my figures and that's fun. If there are new ones that interest me I do have space but will be very very selectives.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
neevnav
Masterpiece

I'm primarily a Bayverse/Knightverse collector, so the fact that Studio Series has slowed down with those releases has definitely slowed down my collecting. I'm also doing MPM and 3rd party that fit in that scale, so that's a few more expensive figures a year for sure.

I did expand to Star Wars and Jurassic Park collecting last year as well, so that's been fun as well.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:20 AM   #14
Harry Prime
Post and roll out!!

I think for many of us John Warden and his design team struck plastic gold with the last two trilogies and set the bar high for whatever was to come after. And now that John is no longer with the design team things appear to be changing with the Legacy line. These changes will look either good or bad to each individual.

After taking some time to look over the Legacy Wave 1 reveals and reviewing the suspected leaks for the entire lines for the next year, I'm going to be more selective with my purchases. Since Combiner Wars, I have been buying almost complete lines. With Legacy I'm do something I have not done much in the past, and that is buy the repaint version.

For example:
Skids - I like the Thrilling 30 MTME Skids, so if they repaint this to either Crosscut or Reboost, I'm in.

Prime Acree - I like the first edition Arcee, so if this gets repainted/remoulded to the leaked Alita-1 (or any other bot) I'm interested.

Kickback - I like the legends trio that came out in the last few years, but if they repaint these as their counter parts, this would be appealing, and with the deluxe size, it will give the insecticon army some size variety.

Menasor - even with it's flaws, I like the CW version, I even got the Reprolabels for them. But I have a feeling the Legacy version is going to be really good, so I hope they put out a G2 repaint version. (I did not get any of the G2 repaints for CW)

There are some other figs I have no interest in buying, and I am A-OK with that. Legacy Bulkhead and Lazer Prime do nothing for me. But for someone else, this might be what you have been waiting years for or you just like kooky mix-ups like the Bulkhead. If so, I'm happy for you. I'm realizing not every fig has to be something I want.

Now that Kingdom is coming to an end and Legacy coming in, I think I will slow down with collecting. The insane price hikes are factoring in this a lot, but also, the generations/classics lines have given us an amazing amount of options to choose what version of the characters we want. For me, I didn't want just a repaint of a mold, like Generations (or is it Universe, I forget) Grapple/Inferno/Hotspot. I have three different molds of each from throughout the lines. My Grapple is Generations/Universe, Inferno is Kingdom, and Hotspot is Combiner Wars. To me this is so much more satisfying and gives each character it's own uniquiness.

But one line that still has me interested in a lot is studio series. I like me some Live-Action-Movie-Bots. Say what you will about the movies, I still like the designs. I don't know if I will ever watch The Last Knight again, but dam, Voyager Last Knight Megatron is amazing.

Thanks to Grimlocked for posting this question. I think many of us have been thinking about what are we going to do with this new "chapter" in collecting. Whatever that looks like for you, may it be enjoyable.
Harry Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #15
Marcotron
Robot Master

Boredom leads me here.
Here leads me to want more figures.
More figures leads to me looking at how much they cost.
How much they cost leads to buying fewer new figures.
Buying fewer new figures leads to buying more older figures from here (thanks to all who have sold me awesome stuff).
And repeat.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
Kheoth
Generation 2

Been buying at least 90% or more of each line since combiner wars.

But recently, I've slowed my purchases since Kingdom because of the rise in prices, lack of space, a lesser interest in Beast Wars and the frustration of having to buy exclusive quickly or you'll miss out.

I was collecting Bayverse movie too, but I stopped that about 2-3 years ago when price rose up. Thinking of selling my studio series figures, except 86 line.

Legacy looks uninteresting to me. Laser Prime looks good, but I'm not sure if it's worth 70$+ to replace my Titans Return one. Gonna pick Dragstrip (big fan of Menasor) and Skids (only because I don't have any Skid, figs is not that great IMHO). Maybe Kickback depending on the size. I'm not a fan of Prime so no interest in the others.

My interest now shifts towards more obscure characters, like the japanese series. Recently bought Dai Atlas, Star Convoy and Haslab Star Saber. Wished I got the money for things like Greatshot, Super Megatron or the trainbots, but those things cost and arm and a leg!
Kheoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #17
Grimlocked
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Prime View Post
I think for many of us John Warden and his design team struck plastic gold with the last two trilogies and set the bar high for whatever was to come after. And now that John is no longer with the design team things appear to be changing with the Legacy line. These changes will look either good or bad to each individual.

After taking some time to look over the Legacy Wave 1 reveals and reviewing the suspected leaks for the entire lines for the next year, I'm going to be more selective with my purchases. Since Combiner Wars, I have been buying almost complete lines. With Legacy I'm do something I have not done much in the past, and that is buy the repaint version.

For example:
Skids - I like the Thrilling 30 MTME Skids, so if they repaint this to either Crosscut or Reboost, I'm in.

Prime Acree - I like the first edition Arcee, so if this gets repainted/remoulded to the leaked Alita-1 (or any other bot) I'm interested.

Kickback - I like the legends trio that came out in the last few years, but if they repaint these as their counter parts, this would be appealing, and with the deluxe size, it will give the insecticon army some size variety.

Menasor - even with it's flaws, I like the CW version, I even got the Reprolabels for them. But I have a feeling the Legacy version is going to be really good, so I hope they put out a G2 repaint version. (I did not get any of the G2 repaints for CW)

There are some other figs I have no interest in buying, and I am A-OK with that. Legacy Bulkhead and Lazer Prime do nothing for me. But for someone else, this might be what you have been waiting years for or you just like kooky mix-ups like the Bulkhead. If so, I'm happy for you. I'm realizing not every fig has to be something I want.

Now that Kingdom is coming to an end and Legacy coming in, I think I will slow down with collecting. The insane price hikes are factoring in this a lot, but also, the generations/classics lines have given us an amazing amount of options to choose what version of the characters we want. For me, I didn't want just a repaint of a mold, like Generations (or is it Universe, I forget) Grapple/Inferno/Hotspot. I have three different molds of each from throughout the lines. My Grapple is Generations/Universe, Inferno is Kingdom, and Hotspot is Combiner Wars. To me this is so much more satisfying and gives each character it's own uniquiness.

But one line that still has me interested in a lot is studio series. I like me some Live-Action-Movie-Bots. Say what you will about the movies, I still like the designs. I don't know if I will ever watch The Last Knight again, but dam, Voyager Last Knight Megatron is amazing.

Thanks to Grimlocked for posting this question. I think many of us have been thinking about what are we going to do with this new "chapter" in collecting. Whatever that looks like for you, may it be enjoyable.
Hey, thanks for the flow of answers from everyone. I completely get where you're coming from since I feel like the end of Kingdom is an end to almost a 3-5 year journey with collecting. I feel like Starsaber is the last big thing they will push (though exclusive), but hopefully, it will come to us in the mail with no last-minute compromises on quality.

Who knows? I can only hope that Legacy will miraculously be great but it's just looking so bleak right now.
Grimlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #18
Skorpulator
Armada

I hope they do more beasts in the Legacy line, but I certainly won't be using their clear blue weapons, they remind me of the old Energon line. I also hope they do more MP beasts. Rhinox hopefully? Waspinator?
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #19
Ras
Generation 1

I’m hoping legacy makes for a nice endpoint in my collecting. Hasbro has been good about issuing g1 inspired figures that have been great. Since I have so many now, I am not really looking for more unless they are much better. For example, hoping they finish off those leader Dinobots. But like everyone else, space and cost constraints mean really slowing down is happening for me and I am ok with that given the great years had and the great collection gained during that time.