Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
ARCTrooperAlpha
Beast Machine
Mike Costa's reflection

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...ormers-173922/

As I'm sure everyone is aware, Costa left his thoughts on us. Any thoughts ? Cause I for one am glad he's leaving.
ARCTrooperAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
lars573
Energon
Re: Mike Costa's reflection

I can agree with a lot of what he's saying. But the anger and frustration it's coming with will make most deaf to it.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Wow, not that everything he said may have been wrong. But that's why you don't speak publicly without a filter.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
I can agree with a lot of what he's saying. But the anger and frustration it's coming with will make most deaf to it.
The anger, frustration, and flat-out stupidity. You'd need one heckuva filter to deal with all that.

I went from agreeing with him and feeling some sympathy about the difficulty of his job (the writing issues, the things he said about character and motivation, and the understanding that robots are not humans) to thinking he's not only completely (and pretty much willfully) uninformed but a pretty big jerk, too.

Way to go out with a bang. Don't let the door etc, etc.

So what do the remaining 15 of us think?
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
The anger, frustration, and flat-out stupidity. You'd need one heckuva filter to deal with all that.

I went from agreeing with him and feeling some sympathy about the difficulty of his job (the writing issues, the things he said about character and motivation, and the understanding that robots are not humans) to thinking he's not only completely (and pretty much willfully) uninformed but a pretty big jerk, too.

Way to go out with a bang. Don't let the door etc, etc.

So what do the remaining 15 of us think?
I would have to agree with you and what the rest of the posts say. I won't say that I am a big fan of the comics, only because I don't have enough time to read them. If I did I am sure I would appreciate the storylines. I do however disagree with the vehicle/no personality statement. It may date my age but I thought the Knight Industires Two Thousand had a personality and I am pretty sure K.I.T.T. was a vehicle. I had agreed with most of what Mike Costa was saying but somewhere through reading the article I almost felt offended for being a fan. Oh well 6 down and apparently only 14 more opinions left in the planet. lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Honestly what the hell is he going on about. He's complaining about the complaints he's gotten and how rough his work is?

How forgettable, I only read your issues 'cause of the artists.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise

I don't envy anyone who interacts with the TF fandom on a professional level. The fandom is not on a whole unpleasant but it has some truly horrible elements that can wear a person down.

On the other hand it just sounds like a pile of whining excuses. Dreamwave's best work was better than his, and to my knowledge, outsold his.

Also yeah robots don't have carnal relations (at least in the same manner we do) All the other stuff is ridiculous. They can feel wants and desires just as humans do, and why not? Are you saying Starscream can't feel envy and frustration with his lot in life, Ironhide can't feel loyalty and competitive urges?

Just feels immature and whiny. He wrote some good stories, it's a pity he felt the urge to end on a sobfest.
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain View Post
Honestly what the hell is he going on about. He's complaining about the complaints he's gotten and how rough his work is?

How forgettable, I only read your issues 'cause of the artists.
He's mostly going on about the ugly side of the TF fandom and his own failings as a writer (although he didn't actually put it that way).

The ugly side of the TF fandom is:
-People who don't read comics who read the TF books, who are (to him) viewing his writing in a vacuum
-Gwunners who get extremely upset if things aren't exactly like the first 2 seasons of the G1 cartoon or the Marvel G1 comic
-Gwunners who get extremely upset if season 3 and beyond G1 characters are not being used
-Someone's pet character going through a change, or getting killed, or just generally getting treated like a comic character
-People who are still butt-hurt over IDW turfing Furman's story lines, and unfairly attack the new guy

Basically there is an element in the fandom that doesn't want any innovation or new ideas in their giant robits funny book.

His failings as a writer:
-The lack of respect he gets from the industry for writing TF's, due to it's non-human (and not Pinocchio machines) protagonists and 20 minute toy commercial origins
-Not ignoring the non-human nature of the TF's when seeking motivations for the characters

He's also got some regret about even taking the job in the first place.

Last edited by lars573; 12-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
He's mostly going on about the ugly side of the TF fandom and his own failings as a writer (although he didn't actually put it that way).

The ugly side of the TF fandom is:
-People who don't read comics who read the TF books, who are (to him) viewing his writing in a vacuum
-Gwunners who get extremely upset if things aren't exactly like the first 2 seasons of the G1 cartoon or the Marvel G1 comic
-Gwunners who get extremely upset if season 3 and beyond G1 characters are not being used
-Someone's pet character going through a change, or getting killed, or just generally getting treated like a comic character
-People who are still butt-hurt over IDW turfing Furman's story lines, and unfairly attack the new guy

Basically there is an element in the fandom that doesn't want any innovation or new ideas in their giant robits funny book.

His failings as a writer:
-The lack of respect he gets from the industry for writing TF's, due to it's non-human (and not Pinocchio machines) protagonists and 20 minute toy commercial origins
-Not ignoring the non-human nature of the TF's when seeking motivations for the characters

He's also got some regret about even taking the job in the first place.

Interesting interpretation of those comments, mate, trust me when I say I may be able to understand how you feel on the subject, but I can't 100% agree with your assessment of his phrasing of those observations/complaints.

He flat out blamed Dreamwave for his failings as a writer, that right there smacks of an unprofessional jab at the past company. He didn't blame Furman or IDW, he blamed Dreamwave for why the comics fell flat and why the retailers don't make the sales he expected on a book like this... Or at least that's how I saw his brief comment on that front.

You can't blame a company or it's creative teams when that company is no debunk and the creative teams have moved on. They didn't act all high and mighty, they certainly weren't full of themselves over at Dreamwave. They completely understood the fans and the franchise as a whole and wrote consistently better recieved stories than most of his work.

I liked the comics he put out, to a point, but even I can admit that his storytelling was flawed, his grasp of the characters is completely non-existent and he seems to have completely ignored the established continuity of the characters from Furman's run and AHM, to take the characters towards different story ideas.

I'm more upset at him as a writer anyway for wasting the potential he was given, the characters of the IDW Transformers comics were great, they featured a lot of interesting new takes and were leading up to somewhere, hell he royally stomped flat all the character growth Starscream had after AHM... All though I'm not sure, but I think that also happened in the Coda issues, and I'm not sure if Costa wrote those issues or at least that one 11 page story.

The fact of the matter is, he did three things that were wrong.

1) He overanalyzed and overthought the Franchise to the point where he just couldn't wrap any of the core concepts, mythological or otherwise around in his head.
2) He wrote his stories months in advance and couldn't change anything after the first two story arcs recieved their negative critiques.
3) He was far too candid and lacking with a proper brain to mouth filter in his interview, unleashing the hellish fury of a fickle and quite intelligent fanbase upon his head.

There are other faults of his, for one thing he's blaming his lack of skills as a writer with these particular characters on everybody else except himself, even after he flat out says he couldn't understand anything about the concept that is pretty straight forward if you take the time to research and look a little bit more closer at them. And he's pretty negative towards the people supporting his paycheck from month to month, seriously Comic Book readers aren't the most well disciplined of fanbases, and each niche be it Cape Lovers or Sci-Fi/Fantasy nerds can be even more intense and obsessive about their franchises. They will defend them, quite vigorously.

He started out by trying a different approach, but because of the way the comic book writing works for a monthly ongoing, and the severe lack of proper editorial for most of his run, he failed to fix the problems he had. And after two years, he doesn't 'understand' the characters or their motivations any better than when he started.

In other words (and here's the fun little ironic part.), he failed to adapt, to change, to Transform, if you will while working on this title. His mind remained closed, the negative critiques were not well recieved at all, even if half or more than half of them were just bashing and not properly thought out logical arguments, I'm sure a few of his naysayers were logical minded while tearing apart his plots and story concepts. So he's on the fans personal blacklist because of this, and the perceptions they took away from this interview.

Perception is what killed Mike Costa's potential continuing of working for IDW, should there be repercussions for the backlash his comments recieved. It wasn't because the fans were bitching and moaning, but because they were irate, up in arms and anything else you'd care to put here over how they percieved his words to come out. They percieved them a certain way, and with today's level of technology and connection, it could potentially backfire in his face.

Basically, he insulted the customers and badmouthed the product. And if he were in any kind of Retail environment he'd be kicked out so fast his head would spin clear off his shoulders. It isn't about the Customer Being Right, it's about Cowtowing and Licking the boots of the meanest, orneriest, bastard (Or bitch) of a customer and still serving them with a smile on your lips while you slip the strictnine into their purse... Or something.

Last edited by Scrapper6; 12-12-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Well, in light of some of the comments maybe he should get out of the business and write a novel.

Every "Fan"dom has it's fanatics. I still remember the old Star Wars Vs Star Trek fights that were around when the Internet was new. And that could get pretty ugly.

Maybe he would be better served not writing for something that has an established community already in place around it. They have expectations, and are the ones you work for essentially.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa, mike, ongoing, tfw2005, transformers