Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Omegatron
Gen 1
Re: Mike Costa's reflection

O.K. so if you can't find anything to relate to in the characters you are writing about, you should probably be doing something else. Point of fact; it is possible to relate to Transformers characters, hundreds of us grew up doing just that (Go to TFcon and tell me the fandom isn't measured in at least that order of magnitude). Anyway I don't hate Costa, the interview reads more like a frustrated man who no longer has to keep his mouth closed, rather than someone with a real hate on. I think Costa was just a case of the wrong guy in the wrong place. On the plus side I hope IDW's comics improve now.

Oh (and because this has bugged me for a long time and I can't avoid taking a dig), Costa's most nuanced human character consisted of a Rambo wannabe, whose attachments to other humans appeared to be limited to booty calls. Holy one dimensional Mike.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post

Every "Fan"dom has it's fanatics. I still remember the old Star Wars Vs Star Trek fights that were around when the Internet was new. And that could get pretty ugly.
Well everyone knows Star Trek is better then Star Wars, Just Joking.

But back to the subject at hand. Its my short opinion, that there are some artist, that with what every metaphorical canvas they have. They think they are a Bach, Da vinci, or a Picasso. They don't understand that even the greats were commissioned to do most of their work. Or at the least tried to peddle there wears to the people/rich.

He is just another artist, that was commissioned by a studio to do a job that he obiviously felt nothing for. With out a certain level of emotional desire, or investment in what your doing, the best he could achive is a lack luster. Not to say I havn't enjoyed what he has produced.

Its just the differnce between a person that goes to work for the pay check vs the person there to add something to the greater picture.

An Example of this, would be Marvel's Punisher. It wasn't till Garth Ennis Conintually pushed at marvel to give him a proper line. To make a series about the real punisher, that it got good. Not to say his earlier work with Marvel Knight wasn't good. But With the Max line, The Punisher was given his full potential. Sadly he has stepped down, new writers/pencilers have come in, and the series has suffered because of this.

It just happens to be my opinion that, everyone is a cog in the system, no one is potentially more imporstant then another. However, Costa obviously thinks differnt and that led it to him being worn down to this point. Its just sad.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I particularly liked the most recent cybertron arc of Chaos so I'm kinda sad that he is taking his creative talents elsewhere.

That said he's clearly a disgruntled writer who has issues with the fans. This does not make him unique, but it does make him dead wrong. A lot of fans liked his work and he's acting like he cared about none of them. Thats very poor of him.

Coming from a Star Wars background on a forum where I get to regularly interact with Star Wars creative folk like John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, Doug Wheatly, Randy Stradley, Tom Taylor, Jason Fry, Pablo Hidalgo, Troy Denning, Karen Miller, Doug Kemp plus many more I can speak with some fan'ish authority that interacting with the fandom is not a bad thing, listening to the fans is not a bad thing and when it is done correctly it can be an extremely positive thing for all invovled.

Basically Costa seems to be mad at Transformers fans for being Transformers fans, and thats not cool at all. As amazing a thing as it may seem to Mr. Costa my pull list at the local Comic Barn does contain titles that are not Transformers related.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa, mike, ongoing, tfw2005, transformers